Bangkok bounty hunters! Report motorcycles on sidewalk and get a share of the fine!

webfact

6 hours ago, fruitman said:

Yes motocytaxi's block sidewalks as well but i guess they're protected. Those guys should rent a shop and sit in there with their bikes but that will drive the price up.

Those mototaxi-booths with a crappy sofa inside also give streets a poor look. 

Also at markets they like to block the way when they all stand infront of the entrance.

Yes there are many occasions when I cannot enter my local Tesco Lotus express due to all the bikes on the street blocking the entrance, so I just walk another 50 m to the 7/11 that places cones to allow pedestrians to enter

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, SiamBeast said:

Riding on the pavement when there is ample space available MIGHT be all right, if the road is congested. I do it sometimes. I got caught 2 times, fine was 500 baht, but the time saved was well worth the small "fee".

Now, hopping on a crowded sidewalk and honking at pedestrians is plain rude and disrespectful. This is the kind of people that should be fined.

So you see an empty pavement, and decide to save time by riding along it until someone walks out from a shop doorway etc, right on to your path, then you hit them, or someone is crossing the road, and you cannot see them, because the stopped traffic is blocking your view, then they step on to the pavement right in front of you, and then it is too late.

5 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

In this day of mass media and phones with cameras literally everywhere, wifi, etc.  casting a wide net and asking for the public to pitch in could very well work.  Many big time criminals are now caught as people phone in or email or text in tips because they saw photos on crime sites, police sites, etc.

Why sure.  Go ahead.  Pull out that cellphone and start snapping away at riders up on the sidewalks.   Then, on your way to the hospital, let us know how it worked out for you...

Just now, SiamBeast said:

Riding on the pavement when there is ample space available MIGHT be all right, if the road is congested. I do it sometimes. I got caught 2 times, fine was 500 baht, but the time saved was well worth the small "fee".

Now, hopping on a crowded sidewalk and honking at pedestrians is plain rude and disrespectful. This is the kind of people that should be fined.

I love when people move the justification bar to suit their level of breaking the law :post-4641-1156693976: 

7 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I'm used to motorbikes riding on the pavements. I don't agree with it and I'd love to see them being fined, but I'm totally used to having to be aware of them on pavements. 

The other day I'm walking and I can feel a motorbike is behind me. I'm walking though a narrow gap where the bike can't go around me. Now, I'm not stopping and stepping to the side to allow the bike through. The rider can wait til I'm through and then go past. But no! The woman on the bike honked at me. I rarely get angry but that really p***** off. I turned around and pointed at the pavement. I shouted in Thai "this is for people walking and you're not allowed to ride on it" which is 100% correct. She just apologised and sped off. 

I'm used to bikes on the pavement, but I get very annoyed when they speed or think they have right of way.

Riding bikes on the pavement is illegal. There are signs warning of 5000 Baht fines. It's dangerous and inconsiderate of others. 

You are right, but they are called "Sidewalks" sidewalks are for people to WALK on, it's NOT called a "BIKE RIDE"

Bad, bad, bad idea.  Cops thinking about turning Thai people on Thai people.  More junta nightmare turning Bangkok into an empty, sterile city on the sidewalks.  Food sellers and motorbikes and people seeking out a living while providing something of value given back.  

Bangkok has huge traffic problems and motorbikes are the single thing that breaks the gridlock and ameliorates the traffic, on the roads and less frequently on the sidewalks.  Get off their backs!  Motorbikes on sidewalks are polite and cause no harm to others on the sidewalk.  They provide a public service that solves many transportation problems.  Think instead about penalizing oversized cars, building more mass transit and other practical solutions.  Just because you come from another country and culture  where it's not acceptable, you are in Thailand, a very different country and a very different people and terrible traffic.  Save your self-righteous points of view for your return home.   Leave these Thai people alone, the simple methods solve problems, simply and cheaply.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Duck said:

Yes there are many occasions when I cannot enter my local Tesco Lotus express due to all the bikes on the street blocking the entrance, so I just walk another 50 m to the 7/11 that places cones to allow pedestrians to enter

I hope this isn't just for BKK we need it to happen all over, many times I have almost gotten run over out here in Nakhon Pathom!!!!

45 minutes ago, jmacken306 said:

You are right, but they are called "Sidewalks" sidewalks are for people to WALK on, it's NOT called a "BIKE RIDE"

Pavements. They're called pavements. If people wanna call them sidewalks then go nuts. They've always been pavements. 

19 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Pavements. They're called pavements. If people wanna call them sidewalks then go nuts. They've always been pavements. 

Who cares... we all know what we are referring to whether we use the term Sidewalk or Pavement...   it is illegal for motorcycles to park on or ride on them. 

We are now about to see a crackdown which will last a week at most as with all the other crackdowns which achieve momentary attention before the realization that enforcement of the already existing rules for the benefit of the greater good takes a little effort. 

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

How will they know who reported them? Besides, the police would never catch any criminal without the publics help, except those caught in the act.

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

You may get your head "pushed in" anyway if you get in the way of these morons riding on the footpath.

Police reports are public records.

Motorbike use is totally out of control in Thailand. Is there a patent pending for a "motorbike crusher/recycler"? They are not even environmentally-friendly. Where are the Green facsists when they are really needed? Out selling solar panels or counting CO2 molecules, I suspect.

Edited by MaxYakov

7 hours ago, barrywells said:

Does anyone know the email address to send the photos for Whattana district, Klong Toey? Although I suspect photoing motorcyclists on the foot path might be tantamount to suicide.

Take a friend with you.

You can take the  picture of the culprit and bike number plate

then your friend can take a picture of 8 guys beating the living sh*t out of you

Easy solved

6 hours ago, SABloke said:

Well, I can't park my car in front of any spot I wish to visit e.g. 7/11, so why should you be allowed to just because "there isn't space to park". Do what I do: drive/ride to a place where there IS parking (side soi, paid parking area) and WALK. :wink:

try thinking about what I said, I said it would be good if there were more legal parking areas - doesn't mean we can park anywhere, does it. have a day off sometimes will you

How many people have died from someone parking a bike under the steps of a footbridge compared to vehicles illegally parking on the right of way? Seems to me that parking under the stairs of the footbridges should be encouraged. Oh wait, it already has, selectively.

these pics are kind of ironic aren't they as they show motorcycle parking under the steps of footbridges.

illegally parked8.png

illegally parked5.png

6 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Nobody likes a "rat" (grass) but if they did the same for motorbikes with no lights.....I would report them myself. For the life of me I cannot understand the mentality of riding bikes with no lights at night time, ....motorbikes, motorbikes with sidecars and bicycles.

It's bad enough when they are driving on their proper side of the road, but daily and nightly I have them driving sgainst me on the treatreous Sukhumvit Rd. going in and out of Bang Saray.

Come on....how expensive is a bulb? They relay on the motorist to drive carefully and not kill them.....but they won't even bother to buy a bulb in an effort to save their own lives?

I remember a thread on this a long time ago.

A poster said Thais actually believe that keeping the light off saves gas.

I didnt believe at the time but after a few years here I even  heard Thais saying they dont use the light to save gas

15 minutes ago, gr8fldanielle said:

How many people have died from someone parking a bike under the steps of a footbridge compared to vehicles illegally parking on the right of way? Seems to me that parking under the stairs of the footbridges should be encouraged. Oh wait, it already has, selectively.

these pics are kind of ironic aren't they as they show motorcycle parking under the steps of footbridges.

illegally parked8.png

illegally parked5.png

It seems to me that the sign is identifying bicycles, not motorbikes. Also bicycles are parked there not motorbikes. Even if they were motorbikes they would have had to traveled on the sidewalk (pavements - UK) to get there, yes?

Have you noticed the motorbike barriers located on the diagonal corners of the Asok intersection? The one by the Exchange Tower was placed there after months of threats to motorbike operators (images, written warnings, etc).

Sometimes force is the only thing understood. Personally, I'd go with the motorbike crusher/recycler I referred to earlier.

PS: Yes, an illegally and stupidly parked car led to my having a serious confrontation with a bus whose driver was also doing illegal and equally stupid driving.

Edited by MaxYakov

I agree with all the poster's complaints about bikes and pavements, but i couldn't be arsed to go around making notes of those who do it. And how much they gonna give ya? 25 %.If you are lucky. It isn't worth the aggro of pissing some Thai guy, with a gun, off. Its the police's job to enforce the law, not ask the public to help them to that extent. The people who do it, must understand its against the law. Heavy fines and loss of the bike, for a while, is the only way to get them to understand. And while we are on the subject, i am still seeing pickups loaded with kids and adults in the carriage space.I dont see the cops pulling them over on my weekly runs to Lotus.

Who the f###k cares, they obviously dont, so why should we.?

try thinking about what I said, I said it would be good if there were more legal parking areas - doesn't mean we can park anywhere, does it. have a day off sometimes will you

Here's what you actually said :

"Here is a novel idea, how about parking areas and spaces for motorbikes - cos sometimes parking on the pavement is the only space there is...

And no...the pavement isn't the only space there. Walk 2min...like the rest of us.

14 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

Why sure.  Go ahead.  Pull out that cellphone and start snapping away at riders up on the sidewalks.   Then, on your way to the hospital, let us know how it worked out for you...

won't be me.   I have an old flip phone, no wifi, no blue tooth, no nothing.  And I only have this one because my older phone that had no camera just didn't want to survive the second trip through the washing machine

won't be me.   I have an old flip phone, no wifi, no blue tooth, no nothing.  And I only have this one because my older phone that had no camera just didn't want to survive the second trip through the washing machine

Not sure what you're trying to say, but if your phone has a camera and you try and use it as suggested here, someone ELSE with THEIR camera in THEIR phone will be taking a picture of YOU having the stuffing non-surgically extracted ...

1 minute ago, hawker9000 said:

Not sure what you're trying to say, but if your phone has a camera and you try and use it as suggested here, someone ELSE with THEIR camera in THEIR phone will be taking a picture of YOU having the stuffing non-surgically extracted ...

nonsense. 

This new scheme may open for a new type of scam - a motorbike "moving scam".

Let us say you park correctly near a sidewalk and leave then someone move your motorbike just a few meter up on the sidewalk take a pic and you need to pay a fine and that person who moved your bike will get his/her commision...

Another well-considered scheme as usual, i.e only park on spots covered by CCTV cameras (which works) and preferably connect a 500kg weight to the bike before you leave it ...;)  

Edited by ttrd

3 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

nonsense. 

Lol.  Great!  Maybe we'll be reading about you soon.  Be sure and share your reporting experiences.  (I'm not holding my breath...)

Edited by hawker9000

On 5/25/2017 at 7:15 AM, PremiumLane said:

Here is a novel idea, how about parking areas and spaces for motorbikes - cos sometimes parking on the pavement is the only space there is...

The 'space' on the pavement is NOT an alternative to proper parking. It should NEVER be thought of as 'the only space there is'.

24 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

Lol.  Great!  Maybe we'll be reading about you soon.  Be sure and share your reporting experiences.  (I'm not holding my breath...)

why are you being such an idiot?  Clearly you don't read with understanding.  I said I would not be the one taking the pictures.  jeez get on with your inane life