Jomtien 2nd Rd. roundabout gone!

bobbin

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why?  The roundabout worked so much better than traffic lights.  I always come into town that way when I need to visit Jomtien immigration  and usually waste 2+ minutes sitting at the earlier traffic light which holds every one up sitting waiting for a green light to appear from a direction that actually has some traffic.  The roundabout on the other hand was always completely clear no hold up at all.

Well, depending on whether the light is green or red for you, you might have to stop at the traffic lights. Quelle surprise..

The roundabout was a free for all. The fact that it worked at all is because nobody understood how it worked..

When it was first installed there where signs up saying it was a "test"

I saw the aftermath of a few crashes on the roundabout maybe their statistics found that lights are "safer"
(I personally prefer roundabouts to traffic lights much less waiting around....but I dont think the Thais know how to use them)

Or maybe to do with the completion of the sewage pipe /roadworks ?

Or maybe they just had a few spare traffic light bulbs that needed a new home.

It's not only the roundabout that has gone; the cause for the roundabout, the sewer-works in the connecting road between 2nd Road and Beach Road, have finished. 

So that adds another entry and exit to the T-junction making it a full-blown road-crossing and that's too much to handle for a test-roundabout. 

10 minutes ago, franklnooner said:

Let the killing begin.

Yep, is there anything more dangerous than a straight trough path at a traffic light at night in Thailand?

I have no idea why so many people are against the roundabout.

At least it forces them to slow down.

25 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yep, is there anything more dangerous than a straight trough path at a traffic light at night in Thailand?

I have no idea why so many people are against the roundabout.

At least it forces them to slow down.

Im not against a roundabout, 

im  against the idiots that  refuse to use it in the correct way.

That's 99% of Thai Drivers / Riders.

A roundabout requires a thought process to navigate one,

this is to much of a challenge for 99% of Thai Riders / Drivers.

Me first get out the way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by stanleycoin

7 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Im not against a roundabout, 

im  against the idiots that  refuse to use it in the correct way.

That's 99% of Thai Drivers / Riders.

A roundabout requires a thought process to navigate one,

this is to much of a challenge for 99% of Thai Riders / Drivers.

Me first get out the way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do you live with them!

In related art subject, the cross walk light near JB Condo functions.... correctly too! Been there a couple of years, previously for all of one week. Still use crossing guys during busy times, as many drivers just ignore such lights.

8 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

In related art subject, the cross walk light near JB Condo functions.... correctly too! Been there a couple of years, previously for all of one week. Still use crossing guys during busy times, as many drivers just ignore such lights.

I like crossings roads in Thailand because it is adventurous you have to be aware 360 degree around you.

Edited by crystal sauce
grammar

6 hours ago, bobbin said:

Well, depending on whether the light is green or red for you, you might have to stop at the traffic lights. Quelle surprise..

The roundabout was a free for all. The fact that it worked at all is because nobody understood how it worked..

It's not the 'surprise' of having to stop at a red traffic light that irritates it's the fact that they insist on running all four directions independently and on quieter junctions there is often an occasion when there is no traffic at all from some directions but they still get their full quota of the green light.  On a hot sunny day, of which there are quite a few in Thailand, sitting stationary on a bike in full sun unnecessarily for 2 minutes or so is decidedly unpleasant.  

A pity that you don't understand the simple concept of giving way to traffic already on a roundabout, I'm sure even the much maligned Thais could work it out if there were a few more around for them to practise on.

22 minutes ago, gmac said:

It's not the 'surprise' of having to stop at a red traffic light that irritates it's the fact that they insist on running all four directions independently and on quieter junctions there is often an occasion when there is no traffic at all from some directions but they still get their full quota of the green light.  On a hot sunny day, of which there are quite a few in Thailand, sitting stationary on a bike in full sun unnecessarily for 2 minutes or so is decidedly unpleasant.  

A pity that you don't understand the simple concept of giving way to traffic already on a roundabout, I'm sure even the much maligned Thais could work it out if there were a few more around for them to practise on.

I'm not sure it's often that there is no traffic on the opposite side.. That problem can be and is, dealt with by installing a pressure plate system in each quadrant. Having said that, those systems are often set for 4 wheel vehicle weights, leaving motorcyclists and bicyclists waiting at an endless red light hoping for a car to come along so the light will switch to green. 

As for working it out myself, perhaps I should have said almost all people were unsure of the correct use. I researched how to use them, had to as they are not used often in the New World.  It didn't do me a lot of good because almost everyone else was doing as they pleased...

There is a possible issue with these new lights, there is a Police Box on the corner coming from Jomtiem. If there are light there, this means traffic HAS to stop on seeing a red light in front etc. this is now an ideal place for a Police stop and check point since traffic will naturally be stopping anyway.  ( with an island , traffic does not slow down in advance etc ) 

8 hours ago, gmac said:

Why?  The roundabout worked so much better than traffic lights.  I always come into town that way when I need to visit Jomtien immigration  and usually waste 2+ minutes sitting at the earlier traffic light which holds every one up sitting waiting for a green light to appear from a direction that actually has some traffic.  The roundabout on the other hand was always completely clear no hold up at all.

Well luckily ypu seemed to have missed the Thats trying to negotiate the roundabout. They cannot work out that those already on roundabout have right of way. 5hey all enter, stop and look at each other.

Mind you I am sure there is no driver education to support installing them!

18 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

ah the who dares wins roundabout. thought it was better than the lights but you really had to approach it like you were not stopping, but at the same time be prepared to stop. i am a big fan of roundabouts but they dont really work thailand, a bit like democracy really.

I'm starting to think that it's a combination of the lack of traffic enforcement and the locals way of thinking.  At first I thought it was a case of their driving style being very agressive, rude and inconsiderate.  

Lately I'm starting to notice it might be more of a case of what you're driving deems social status on the road.  The bigger and more fancy vehicle you drive, the more right of way you have, thus the reason for smaller vehicles especially motorbikes being cut off frequently.  

Of course I could be wrong, TIT.

Edited by Roger Lee

I went past the ex roundabout this afternoon and they where busy painting a very large "box junction" the yellow "do not enter this box unless your exit is clear" which I think is just about as ignored/not understood as roundabout etiquette.

The traffic lights seemed to be stuck on green.

9 hours ago, gmac said:

no one knew who had the right of way on the round about ( they are NOT taught when doing driving lessons/test!!) traffic light are MUCH better

30 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

ah the who dares wins roundabout. thought it was better than the lights but you really had to approach it like you were not stopping, but at the same time be prepared to stop. i am a big fan of roundabouts but they dont really work thailand, a bit like democracy really.

they are  NOT taught how to use a roundabout when learning to drive...thats why so much confusion GOOD thing they removed it...IT SHOULD never had been there in the first place

3 minutes ago, johng said:

I went past the ex roundabout this afternoon and they where busy painting a very large "box junction" the yellow "do not enter this box unless your exit is clear" which I think is just about as ignored/not understood as roundabout etiquette.

The traffic lights seemed to be stuck on green.

waste of time MONEY painting a box here NO ONE knows what to do!!!

1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

Well luckily ypu seemed to have missed the Thats trying to negotiate the roundabout. They cannot work out that those already on roundabout have right of way. 5hey all enter, stop and look at each other.

Mind you I am sure there is no driver education to support installing them!

they are NOT taught how to use roundabouts in Thailand