Bangkok roads flooded following heavy overnight rains

webfact

21 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Not aimed at you, and agree that heavy rain will always cause some water on roads, but this was very much an exceptional rainfall - the largest in such a short period for 26 years I believe.  And by early last night most canals were at or below normal water levels (most below sea level as more rain was expected).  Believe the people working to drain water did an outstanding job (and know at least one of them died doing so here in Latphao).  

Sorry for the dead of one of these people, I really am.

What I am getting at is that in all these years I am living here I have not seen any solution to the problem of flooding in Bangkok and by the way also in Pattaya.

I have been living in different sois in Ladphrao and Senanikhom 1 from 1976 to 1983 and it was more then some water on the roads, 2 hrs of rain and Bkk is flooded.

I have had a house with stood literally halfway under water after a heavy downpour, luckily a 2 story house.

My Thai sister in law was living in a soi where al the houses had beside the house a raised dirt platform, about 1.5 or 2 mtrs high for to put on their cars as the soi in the raining season was under water.

I am living upcountry now where they took care of the problem bij laying large drainpipes on both sides of the roads and sois. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And expect you remember roads in Latphao only passable for army trucks for days at a time in that case - I do - and trying to find a road into town with water low enough to get through intersections many times a year - and that from heavy rainfall/not the 2011 fiasco.  Situation is much better than it was in the 20th century (we are getting old) dispute continued sinking of Bangkok but this hit when wet season pumps were not in place for most villages and roads as not considered that time of the year.  Agree more could and should be done - but advance planning and maintenance are often not strong points here.

Wow, I feel this is more a September/October thing, I mean, I know it rains a lot in rainy season but I don't expect this in June, as much.

What's the feeling on this clearing up soon? i.e. are there more storms on the way above the usual rainy reason rain?

On 5/28/2017 at 3:12 PM, Razzler1973 said:

Wow, I feel this is more a September/October thing, I mean, I know it rains a lot in rainy season but I don't expect this in June, as much.

What's the feeling on this clearing up soon? i.e. are there more storms on the way above the usual rainy reason rain?

yup.  lots of rain with levels above the norm for each downfall

6 minutes ago, CLW said:

Most of the canals (klong) indeed have a low level so it must be the drainage from the road to the canal that isn't working

Where are you getting canal data?  The normal site is not displaying more than a handful and the one in Latphao that is reporting (NK01) has just returned to below its banks status within the last 30 minutes - but agree they have been keeping canals very low knowing there would be flooding - which still occurred in many locations today.

http://203.155.220.231/Canal/

Edited by lopburi3

Where are you getting canal data?  The normal site is not displaying more than a handful and the one in Latphao that is reporting (NK01) has just returned to below its banks status within the last 30 minutes - but agree they have been keeping canals very low knowing there would be flooding - which still occurred in many locations today.
http://203.155.220.231/Canal/

It's just from my observations in the last days

14 hours ago, CLW said:

Most of the canals (klong) indeed have a low level so it must be the drainage from the road to the canal that isn't working

In that case it should be easy to get rid of the water. Guess the drains are jammed again or not working well.

Are there no storm-drains into the klongs?

5 minutes ago, fruitman said:

In that case it should be easy to get rid of the water. Guess the drains are jammed again or not working well.

Are there no storm-drains into the klongs?

Last night as I walked back from the Mall ThaPhra (Thonburi) there was a crew that had dug a huge man sized hole around one of the storm drains and were manually removing buckets of mud/sludge from the drain channel. This drain was only about 100 meters from a small draining khlong also. During the storm someone noticed water pooling near that drain (this is on RatchadaPisek Road) and sent out a crew to fix it. So at least someone in my area is on the ball.

14 hours ago, CLW said:

Canals are woefully inadequate in size to drain heavy rainfall; and as a result fill in minutes - here in Latphao ground water level was more than 40cm above the banks of canal for most of the day after that heavy morning rain.  All the land must drain to canal level before it starts to go down.  Which in many cases means water level is higher than roads for a period of time.