DIM SUM

mardy1960

33 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I will add an exception to my general dissing of Thai style dim sum. Egg rolls / spring rolls are technically a classic Chinese dim sum item. They have become very popular globally and there are good localized egg roll versions in the west, Thailand, Vietnam, the Philipines, and I'm sure elsewhere as well. So Thai style egg rolls would be an exception. They can be quite good. I was really referring to the typical Thai dim sum shop house restaurant serving cheap imitations of Chinese dim sum, basically inferior to the real thing by definition. There is at least one major Thai chain that is branded as Chinese serving the same low level of dim sum so it's not only shop houses either. They used to be in Pattaya but closed. 

I don't consider egg rolls to be dim sum, more American style chinese take away kind of like chop suey or moo goo gai pan.

MK offers some excellent dimsum-style choices, though not a huge selection.  Try it some time, you might like it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, torrzent said:

I don't consider egg rolls to be dim sum, more American style chinese take away kind of like chop suey or moo goo gai pan.

MK offers some excellent dimsum-style choices, though not a huge selection.  Try it some time, you might like it.

Like I said, egg/spring rolls are technically dim sum.

Here you go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dim_sum

• Spring roll (春卷; 春捲; chūnjuǎn; chēun gyún): A deep fried roll consisting of various sliced vegetables (such as carrot, cabbage, mushroom and wood ear fungus) and sometimes meat.

It's not a matter of opinion. They really are. 

Yes, I have noticed MK has half decent dim sum.

I don't consider that Thai dim sum. It's OK actual Chinese dim sum. 

If you were talking only about MK, why didn't you bloody say say so?

I was talking about those cheap shop house places and the total crap dim sum they serve there that no self respecting actual Chinese person would consider acceptable any more than any self respecting Mexican person would consider Taco Bell fake Mexican food at the same level as actual Mexican food. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Like I said, egg rolls are technically dim sum.

Look it up.

It's not a matter of opinion. They really are. 

Yes, I have noticed MK has half decent dim sum.

I don't consider that Thai dim sum. It's OK actual Chinese dim sum. 

If you were talking only about MK, why didn't you bloody say say so?

I was talking about those cheap shop house places and the total crap dim sum they serve there that no self respecting actual Chinese person would consider acceptable. 

No need to swear, let's keep the discussion civil.

I looked up egg rolls per your recommendation and here is what I found.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_roll

Egg rolls are a variety of deep-fried appetizers served in American Chinese restaurants.

Egg rolls are a ubiquitous feature of American Chinese cuisine and are often served as free additions to American Chinese lunch special take-out combination platters throughout the United States,[5][6] along with fried rice and fortune cookies.

Maybe you also consider fortune cookies to be dim sum...LOL.

MK is most definitely a Thai resto,  offering great Thai  food

You just like to play silly games.

It's so tedious.

Egg rolls / spring rolls ORIGINATED as an authentic Chinese dim sum item. 

You can find them at many authentic Chinese dim sum restaurants.

Not saying they are the best example of Chinese dim sum (personally I don't order them at Chinese dim sum restaurants). Just saying they are originally Chinese dim sum.

As I already said, different nations have developed their own versions (and traditions of serving) of that original Chinese dim sum item.

Thailand and the USA included. 

Not going to comment more about MK.

I already explained I was talking about the Thai style "dim sum" typically served at shop houses and typically very poor examples of dim sum.

They're kind of the equivalent of Thai street 10 baht sushi compared to sushi in a decent Japanese restaurant. 

If you're saying you prefer that style of crapola Thai style shop house dim sum to dim sum at a decent actual Chinese dim sum house, you are welcome to your tastes, but I would find that both bizarre and unbelievable. 

Edited by Jingthing

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You just like to play silly games.

It's so tedious.

Egg rolls / spring rolls ORIGINATED as an authentic Chinese dim sum item. 

You can find them at many authentic Chinese dim sum restaurants.

Not saying they are the best example of Chinese dim sum (personally I don't order them at Chinese dim sum restaurants). Just saying they are originally Chinese dim sum.

As I already said, different nations have developed their own versions (and traditions of serving) of that original Chinese dim sum item.

Thailand and the USA included. 

Not going to comment more about MK.

I already explained I was talking about the Thai style "dim sum" typically served at shop houses and typically very poor examples of dim sum.

They're kind of the equivalent of Thai street 10 baht sushi compared to sushi in a decent Japanese restaurant. 

If you're saying you prefer that style of crapola Thai style shop house dim sum to dim sum at a decent actual Chinese dim sum house, you are welcome to your tastes, but I would find that both bizarre and unbelievable. 

Never mentioned anything about shophouses, so not sure what you are on about?