DIM SUM

mardy1960

11 hours ago, snoopy21 said:

I am Chinese from Hong Kong staying at Pattaya. Whenever I want to have Chinese Dimsum, I will go to a Chinese restaurant called 御膳房 at Bangkok, Asok, Terminal 21. Even the selection is limited, and the service is not so good, the quality of the Dimsum is just like Hong Kong, and even better than Maxim's Chinese restaurant in Hong Kong, and they also offer discount on Monday to Saturday too. BTW, never go to Tim Ho Wan! Yes, the restaurant is originated from Hong Kong, but it is not so famous in Hong Kong as they propounded, and the ambience just like a fast food restaurant; they urge you to live the table after you finish eating. Though they get a range of Dimsum selection, but the quality of the Dimsum is just like the one made at the food stall in Hong Kong. But the price is pretty high too!

You don't have to be from Hong Kong to know what good dimsum is...there is even one expert on here who is sure to chime in

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree , most dim sum restaurants in Thailand sell factory made frozen. Some brands can be quite edible, some awful. The only good dim sum I've had are in Hong Kong and Singapore. Singapore restaurants were fantastic!

If you want pretty decent Shanghai Soup Dumplings known as Xiaolong Bao ( not to be confused with Guangdong style DimSum ) 

There is a Chinese resto on the left hand side of Third road as you approach Pattaya Nua. 

They have a Chinese chef/cook and do pretty good Mapo Doufu, Braised pork ribs and the generic barbeque pork buns. Busy in the evenings and have always had a few Chinese in there eating when I have visited around lunchtime. Tasty and not expensive.

If you have ever eaten in China the food and decor will be familiar. Don't go if you are expecting/wanting UK/USA style Cantonese take away Chinese food.

Edited by Pdaz

If you want pretty decent Shanghai Soup Dumplings known as Xiaolong Bao ( not to be confused with Guangdong style DimSum )  There is a Chinese resto on the left hand side of Third road as you approach Pattaya Nua. 

They have a Chinese chef/cook and do pretty good Mapo Doufu, Braised pork ribs and the generic barbeque pork buns. Busy in the evenings and have always had a few Chinese in there eating when I have visited around lunchtime. Tasty and not expensive.

If you have ever eaten in China the food and decor will be familiar. Don't go if you are expecting/wanting UK/USA style Cantonese take away Chinese food.

Shanghai restaurant. Yes some things are pretty good there and other things just OK. It's not a dim sum restaurant. I don't think much of their Mapo Tofu but do like the dry spicy green beans and the crispy fried chicken in a mountain of chilies.

Yes many tables order the Shanghai soup dumplings. The soup is inside the dumplings.

36 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

I though this post was about quality food, not low end takeaway which is just awful

1 hour ago, tazly said:

I though this post was about quality food, not low end takeaway which is just awful

I was just trying to explain the type of food they have. Some people are only familiar with Western style Chinese take away food and think it is the norm worldwide. 

3 hours ago, Pdaz said:

If you want pretty decent Shanghai Soup Dumplings known as Xiaolong Bao ( not to be confused with Guangdong style DimSum ) 

There is a Chinese resto on the left hand side of Third road as you approach Pattaya Nua. 

This is clearly the best Chinese food restaurant in Pattaya except for some "experts" who only want more.

For just normal people this is clearly the best for the quality of food and prices.

But no Dimsum.

By the very definition of 'Best' in Pattaya, means if you can't find any better restaurant, the of course it must be the best
Shanghai isn't the best Chinese restaurant in Pattaya but it is probably the best value one.

• 5 months later...
Just now, mardy1960 said:

n pattaya rd. muang pattaya  amphoe bang lamung chang wat chon buri 20150

OK, great. So it's on North Pattaya Road.

That's a good start.

I've never seen it there.

Can you give a hint as to WHERE on North Pattaya road that it is?

Is it a place that serves actual Chinese style dim sum or is it one of those places that serves cheap Thai style versions of Chinese dim sum (which are never very good)?

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

That's a good start.

Is it a place that serves actual Chinese style dim sum or is it one of those places that serves cheap Thai style versions of Chinese dim sum (which are never very good)?

will go check it out tomorrow i will not eat there if its frozen from makros or from were every only want in house made

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That's a good start.

I much prefer the Thai style ones......

22 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Better taste...up to me what I like....

That is true.

I truly can't comprehend it.

Actual Chinese dim sum is one of the great food types in the world.

The ersatz cheap Thai version is basically junk food. 

Edited by Jingthing

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That is true.

I truly can't comprehend it.

Actual Chinese dim sum is one of the great food types in the world.

The ersatz cheap Thai version is basically junk food. 

I would say the exact opposite is true... the thai version is outstanding;

34 minutes ago, torrzent said:

I would say the exact opposite is true... the thai version is outstanding;

I find it hard to believe that you're serious.

Have you ever heard of a Chinese national seeking out Thai dim sum?

On the other hand more sophisticated Thai nationals are often found eating quality Chinese dim sum.

I think the inferiority of Thai dim sum is basically an objective fact.

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I find it hard to believe that you're serious.

Have you ever heard of a Chinese national seeking out Thai dim sum?

On the other hand more sophisticated Thai nationals are often found eating quality Chinese dim sum.

I think the inferiority of Thai dim sum is basically an objective fact.

I find it hard to believe that YOU are serious.   Dim Sum IS Chinese fast food.

Most of the Chinese in Pattaya are on package tours and eating at buffets(not dim sum joints), or maybe you haven't seen the tour buses! Therefore the premise of your assertion is false. Maybe you can share the complete set of data from the "scientific" research you claim to have carried out. 

Don't feel bad, but I suggest you expand your food horizons and try some of the great Thai food while in Thailand.  You really are missing out.

All you seem to eat and drone on about is burritos, cheeseburgers and junk food!

Edited by torrzent

57 minutes ago, torrzent said:

I find it hard to believe that YOU are serious.   Dim Sum IS Chinese fast food.

Most of the Chinese in Pattaya are on package tours and eating at buffets(not dim sum joints), or maybe you haven't seen the tour buses! Therefore the premise of your assertion is false. Maybe you can share the complete set of data from the "scientific" research you claim to have carried out. 

Don't feel bad, but I suggest you expand your food horizons and try some of the great Thai food while in Thailand.  You really are missing out.

All you seem to eat and drone on about is burritos, cheeseburgers and junk food!

I rarely mention any of those things. You're clearly just playing. Thai food is great. Thai imitation Chinese dim sum isn't. End of. 

I will add an exception to my general dissing of Thai style dim sum. Egg rolls / spring rolls are technically a classic Chinese dim sum item. They have become very popular globally and there are good localized egg roll versions in the west, Thailand, Vietnam, the Philipines, and I'm sure elsewhere as well. So Thai style egg rolls would be an exception. They can be quite good. I was really referring to the typical Thai dim sum shop house restaurant serving cheap imitations of Chinese dim sum, basically inferior to the real thing by definition. There is at least one major Thai chain that is branded as Chinese serving the same low level of dim sum so it's not only shop houses either. They used to be in Pattaya but closed. 

Edited by Jingthing