DIM SUM

mardy1960

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not exactly dim sum buffets but Cape Dara and the Dusit and the Mandarin all do (or did) lunches where you pay one price and can order whatever you like from the Dim Sum menu. So best enjoyed with a group of people in order to get a good selection of dishes. Prices are from around 650B++ but not all include tea. The promotions seem to come and go somewhat throughout the year so check first.

For better, head straight to Bangkok where there is more choice.

Dim Sum is one of those things that needs to be done in quantity to work well, and you cant beat the good old fresh Dim Sum trolley in a giant restaurant with 300 diners.

4 hours ago, chakatee said:

Zign hotel used to have great Dim Sum. Not in buffet but truly delicious.

Can you explain how dim sum can be delicious ?

Do you feel that they are made with good ingredients ?

Bull shrimp in Hakao ?

What else ?

I always find that Dim sum are made of shiiite and would like to understand that is a better dimsum that the usual shiiite 7/11 style.

2 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

I always find that Dim sum are made of shiiite and would like to understand that is a better dimsum that the usual shiiite 7/11 style.

Many places, even high-end ones, use frozen Dim Sum which is generally mediocre. Proper Dim Sum restaurants do everything in-house and the results can be excellent. As I mentioned, look for places that cater to several hundred Dim Sum diners per sitting.

3 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Many places, even high-end ones, use frozen Dim Sum which is generally mediocre. Proper Dim Sum restaurants do everything in-house and the results can be excellent. As I mentioned, look for places that cater to several hundred Dim Sum diners per sitting.

These places simply do not exist in Thailand.

Even 5 stars restaurants use frozen dim sum.

I can't speak from recent experience.

There used to be good dim sum (not carts) at the previous hotel near Royal Garden and the hotel in North Pattaya that is now the Imperial.

The Imperial is doing a dim sum buffet and I expect it would probably be good (and expensive) and freshly made as well.

Imperial China, Chinese Restaurant

http://www.imperialpattaya.com/contact-us/contact-us1.htm

They have some discounts on some days during the week. There is a sign out front about it. If someone tries their dim sum buffet, please report back. The dim sum buffet is lunch hours only.

I'm sure it's an order off the menu type buffet and not carts.

I do not agree that dim sum is only ever good from cart places, but of course cart places are great. A downside of cart places can be the fried foods. You can't tell by looking when it was fried and cold fried foods can be disgusting. 

Some of my most memorable dim sum experiences (not in Pattaya) have been at non-cart places. 

I don't think there is any cart place in town.

Oh, there's another one which I have no clue about.

New Nordic Group ... Pratumnak

Kong Juu.

Says there is a SUNDAY dim sum buffet, 388, from 10 am to 10 pm. 

That's weird. Dim sum for dinner. Not sure if that info is still current. Better call them.

https://www.facebook.com/NewNordicKongJuu/

http://newnordicgroup.com/pattaya-drinking-dinning/

Edited by Jingthing

7 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

I was surprised to find out that you checked out every Dim Sum place in Thailand.

Anyhow I am happy to have learned something again.

8 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

I wonder. Perhaps in Bangkok Chinatown? I used to go to such a cart place in Manila Chinatown at least once a week when I lived there decades ago and as far as I know it's still there.

Though I doubt one would find anything here like the ones in Hong Kong.

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The Imperial is doing a dim sum buffet .....

That was the one I meant when I wrote "Mandarin". It's the former Montien. And I wrote Mandarin because I had just been looking at a room at the Bangkok one. Doh!

Try the Royal Cliff- in the Panorama restaurant -I used to go every weekend. 

Excellent service- a reasonable selection- crab claws- yummy. 

Personaly I like the Royal Cliff.

Stopped going as menu did not change - so was always the same every time.

Certainly worth a visit- it's in the Beach hotel- not Grand or Royal wing ( there are three hotels in the complex- parking very easy

41 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I wonder. Perhaps in Bangkok Chinatown? I used to go to such a cart place in Manila Chinatown at least once a week when I lived there decades ago and as far as I know it's still there.

Though I doubt one would find anything here like the ones in Hong Kong.

I am Chinese from Hong Kong staying at Pattaya. Whenever I want to have Chinese Dimsum, I will go to a Chinese restaurant called 御膳房 at Bangkok, Asok, Terminal 21. Even the selection is limited, and the service is not so good, the quality of the Dimsum is just like Hong Kong, and even better than Maxim's Chinese restaurant in Hong Kong, and they also offer discount on Monday to Saturday too. BTW, never go to Tim Ho Wan! Yes, the restaurant is originated from Hong Kong, but it is not so famous in Hong Kong as they propounded, and the ambience just like a fast food restaurant; they urge you to live the table after you finish eating. Though they get a range of Dimsum selection, but the quality of the Dimsum is just like the one made at the food stall in Hong Kong. But the price is pretty high too!

4 minutes ago, snoopy21 said:

I am Chinese from Hong Kong staying at Pattaya. Whenever I want to have Chinese Dimsum, I will go to a Chinese restaurant called 御膳房 at Bangkok, Asok, Terminal 21. Even the selection is limited, and the service is not so good, the quality of the Dimsum is just like Hong Kong, and even better than Maxim's Chinese restaurant in Hong Kong, and they also offer discount on Monday to Saturday too. BTW, never go to Tim Ho Wan! Yes, the restaurant is originated from Hong Kong, but it is not so famous in Hong Kong as they propounded, and the ambience just like a fast food restaurant; they urge you to live the table after you finish eating. Though they get a range of Dimsum selection, but the quality of the Dimsum is just like the one made at the food stall in Hong Kong. But the price is pretty high too!

Also, never go to Hong Bao at MBK center Bangkok. The Chinese Dimsum is no better than the CP one. The inner fillings of the shrimp dumpling were still frozen When I ordered last time. The staff are too aggressive in up selling the Dimsum too! They pushed you to order this and order that. Very annoying!

10 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

I have three or four good choices for dim sum in Hatyai --none are in five star restaurants or large restaurants with hundreds of diners; they are all small Thai-Chinese mom 'n pop dim sum specialty restaurants--you can even watch them make the dim sum. I especially like the baked rather than steamed bao buns, the pork ribs, steamed sausage rolls, shrimp or crab dumplings, steamed fish with ginger, fried sticky rice and crab, steamed garlic clams, mushroom and pei tsai cabbage, and even bbq chicken feet. A bowl of chicken or pork noodle soup and Chinese tea are often included.

Yeah, I know, not Pattaya, the moral here is look for small mom 'n pop dim sum joints with several customers; preferably ones which also serve noodle soup.

Dim sum is a Guangdong specialty, only Cantonese speaking Chinese from Guangdong know who to make it good. 

There are very few Cantonese speaking Chinese in Thailand.  Go to any large dim sum restaurants in Hong Kong and enjoy. 

Most westerners like dim sum because it is mild, not super hot and spicy like real Thai food.    

To add, by dim sum "buffet" in Pattaya, I mean that it's an all you can eat that you order from a menu. Not that there's a buffet table. Again, I don't think there is even one cart service dim sum restaurant in Pattaya but would be happy to be corrected about that.

3 hours ago, snoopy21 said:

What floor is that Chinese restaurant in Terminal 21 in? Is it Royal Kitchen? 

I also don't get all the fuss with Tim Ho Wan, they seem to play on the fact that they have 'Michelin Stars' which is borderline dishonest as Michelin Stars applies to the one restaurant and not the whole chain. In Australia Tim Ho Wan is practically Chinese McDonald's now.

Well at least with the Pattaya Terminal 21, there'll be a Tim Ho Wan in Pattaya, 

9 hours ago, snoopy21 said:

Thank you, but no address at Pattaya ?

Ad where is your fav Chinese food at Pattaya ? Thank you for pro advice.

19 minutes ago, champers said:

There are places outside town that cater only for Chinese tour groups with a dozen or so coachloads per session. Maybe these do dim sum.

Doubtful. 

Groups like that don't travel to Thailand for dim sum.

The biggest food draw for them is generally seafood. 

Just now, Jingthing said:

Doubtful. 

Groups like that don't travel to Thailand for dim sum.

The biggest food draw for them is generally seafood. 

Couldn't confirm one way or the other, since non-Chinese are not allowed in. Having been to China a few years back I reckon there are few problems obtaining seafood there; big coastal cities like Shanghai and Guangzhou. Plenty of canals and rivers for transportation. If a place like Maxims popped up in central Pattaya it would be hard to miss.

5 minutes ago, champers said:

Couldn't confirm one way or the other, since non-Chinese are not allowed in. Having been to China a few years back I reckon there are few problems obtaining seafood there; big coastal cities like Shanghai and Guangzhou. Plenty of canals and rivers for transportation. If a place like Maxims popped up in central Pattaya it would be hard to miss.

I've sniffed out some of those places. Yes, generally they're off limits to non-tour people. Sometimes been there when food is served to the masses as well.

Trust me, they are not dim sum houses.

I would bet serious money none of them are dim sum houses.

Anyway, even if they were, which they're not, they'd be off limits anyway. 

To add, some of those places have non-tour menus and will sometimes serve people if there are any tables free. Never any dim sum items.

Edited by Jingthing

Din Tai Fung in Central World (Bangkok) is the best dim sum I've had in Thailand, period. This is a plate of their special steamed dumplings with soup inside.

20170515gr5-various1069.jpg

Edited by cbuddha
Changed description to match photo.