"You were my guy," Trump told Macron, French official says

webfact

"You were my guy," Trump told Macron, French official says

r3.jpg

President Trump and French President Emmanuel Macron shake hands. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump told Emmanuel Macron on Thursday that he had been his favourite to win the French presidential election and media reports that he was backing far-right leader Marine Le Pen were wrong, a French official said.

"You were my guy," Trump told the new French president when they met for the first time in Brussels, the French presidency official said.

Trump told Macron that, contrary to media reports during the race, he had not backed Le Pen and had followed Macron's campaign with great attention, the source said, adding that the two leaders had spoken in English.

White House spokesman Sean Spicer said he did not know if Trump had said this to Macron but noted that the two men had good chemistry. 

Centrist Macron beat National Front leader Le Pen in a May 7 run-off vote after a hard-fought campaign that pitted Macron's pro-European views against Le Pen's anti-globalisation, anti-EU and anti-immigration stance.

After a policeman was killed in Paris in April by a suspected Islamist militant, Trump told the Associated Press he thought the attack would "probably help" Le Pen because she was the candidate who is "strongest on borders". However, he said he was not explicitly endorsing Le Pen.

Le Pen said she was best placed to defend France's interests in what she called the "new world" of Trump and Russia's Vladimir Putin.

(Reporting by Marine Pennetier and Steve Holland; writing by Adrian Croft; editing by Michel Rose)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-26

Seems like he's now a "bull in a jina shop" in Europe? He's pushing everyone around, looking like a doofus.

Shocker that he mentioned lifting sanctions on Russia - NOT - catching Wayne Tracker (Rex Tillerson's nom-de-global warming) by surprise.

33 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Seems like he's now a "bull in a jina shop" in Europe? He's pushing everyone around, looking like a doofus.

Shocker that he mentioned lifting sanctions on Russia - NOT - catching Wayne Tracker (Rex Tillerson's nom-de-global warming) by surprise.

More like a bull-sh%%%%% in a Chinese 'B' movie

Note to Macron and anyone else showered by praise (golden shower?) by Trump.  His praise is toxic.  Trump said the same to a NY federal attorney, then fired the attorney. Trump said the same to Comey, and even blew Comey a kiss, weeks before he fired him.  Trump lavishes praise upon Flynn, even while throwing him under the bus.   Same for Pence, Ivanka, and Kushner.

Trump can't fire Macron, but he can throw wrenches into French wheel spokes if he feels twitches in his little fingers when his twitter device is nearby.    Or, he can leak sensitive intelligence data which may harm France.  There's no limit on what Trump can do, if he thinks it will further protect himself. 

Trump is just trying to undermine Angela Merkel position as main leader in the E.U he'd like to work with,  by showing off his curiosity towards Emmanuel Macron.

We remember how he offered her no handshake when she met him in WDC 

Edited by Opl

Since European countries have lots of incriminating data on Trump-Russia connections, it's smart for Trump to play footsie with Macron.  There may come a time when French intel is ready to release data to FBI/NSA, and Macron can squash it, while phoning to Trump, "I did you a little favor today, my friend."

Even Poland and The Netherlands have incriminating proofs that Trump heavies were meeting secretly with, and quite possibly transferring funds to Russian operatives.   Trump should go give a big warm hug to the leaders of those countries also - hoping they won't share sensitive data with US intelligence entities.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

White House spokesman Sean Spicer said he did not know if Trump had said this to Macron but noted that the two men had good chemistry. 

Good chemistry geeeeeze. I thought I had that with my last 3 ex wives. 

3 hours ago, Opl said:

Trump is just trying to undermine Angela Merkel position as main leader in the E.U he'd like to work with,  by showing off his curiosity towards Emmanuel Macron.

We remember how he offered her no handshake when she met him in WDC 

He offered no handshake because his mind was trying to figure out if the handshake with a woman differed from shaking hands with a man.

5 hours ago, champers said:

Fancies a bit of wife swapping.

I believe Macrons wife is in her sixty's even Trump would not do a deal with the lovely

Ivanaka, not sure about my spelling on that.............lol

"Macron annihilates Trump in the most awkward handshake battle of all time. President Trump's infamous handshakes are getting downright vicious, but brave leaders of the world are starting to fight back. "

http://mashable.com/2017/05/25/macron-trump-handshake/#5ZG0ScQMHPqn

In contrast, remember Shinzo Abe

http://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/02/10/trump-abe-handshake-vo.cnn

To me, the mere presence of Donald Trump in a room is enough to poison the atmosphere. It is amazing this man could negotiate anything - His bluster and lack of decorum is amazing and a real detriment to the United States. Talking straight is one thing but talking in a way that is offensive and without any couth is another.  Didn't anyone teach this man any manners?

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

To me, the mere presence of Donald Trump in a room is enough to poison the atmosphere. It is amazing this man could negotiate anything - His bluster and lack of decorum is amazing and a real detriment to the United States. Talking straight is one thing but talking in a way that is offensive and without any couth is another.  Didn't anyone teach this man any manners?

I think his mom and dad gave up on trying to teach little Donnie manners about the time he refused to let the nanny take off his soiled nappies.  .....They knew early on it was a lost cause.