Possible to set up router on apartment WiFi?

Number 6

Is it possible to set up a router as a repeater for multiple devices on my apt wifi? I don't think so and I might need to boot the pc each time and log into the apt wifi even though we'd be on mobile devices.

Thanks

Untechnically speaking, I'd say it's possible, but I would guess the speed would be an issue.

If you have a free apartment Wi-Fi everyone and the neighbours are probably using it.

You only have a finite bandwidth incoming, and with people streaming video, using Line and Skype for free video conferencing......

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

The speed here is ok. Just internet surfing unless Im dl a torrent.

Would you have a rough diy with an old linksys router? My concern is even if I get it hooked up, Ill need to log in each time bc the wifi connection will time out. Thx

I'm guessing here because you haven't really provided a lot of detail...

Do you have just one, single, unique, simultaneous credential for your building's WiFi? Or are you trying to bypass some time limit situation?

Maybe describe how the system is set up right now? Providing as much detail as possible would help.

Without access (both physical and management) to the "primary" router (managed by the building) you probably can't get the sort of repeater/bridge service you're looking for.

OP, it sounds like where you live only gives you one login, via a webpage, for the free wifi and you need to disconnect a device to connect another device etc.

Yes you can set up a wifi extentder to do the single logon then share to multiple devices.

Or a couple of cheap android boxes etc, one to logon and another to hotspot etc

Edited by Peterw42

Windows 10 just added the built-in Mobile Hotspot option to share its Internet connection via WiFi.

And, yes, there are so-called 'traveler routers' that can connect to a WiFi connection or hotspot and then share the connection.

I have an ASUS router with a repeater mode option that allowed it to log into another WiFi Access Point connection then share that connection out again under a different SSID. 

Note that Peer-2-Peer connections will suffer due to double or triple NAT conditions.

Edited by RichCor

Thx. Forgot abt the traveler routers. I have an old Linksys router though.

I hate W10, loathe it but besides that I don't want to have PC running just to share WiFi between two Droid devices. Thx

20 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

but I'd rather use my old router

...but does your old Linksys have the firmware that give it the connect & share option needed?

If you had 'physical' access to one of the building router/access point device Ethernet Ports then you could connect a cable to your old router and it would run fine.

I have an old Linksys router though.

Can you share the make/model?

Assuming it's a router (without a modem), you may be able to flash firmware which would allow modes like "Client-Bridge", which may allow you to "share" a single 'connection' to the primary router?

It all depends on how the building's network is configured/managed.

Do you just look for an SSID, and log-in? Or do you need to go to a web-page and enter more detailed credentials?

The more detail you provide makes it easier for others to help.

Edited by mtls2005

Thanks, exactly but I'd rather use my old router.

+2

Can your router be flashed to use dd-wrt firmware? I've used that to do the type of thing that you are talking about (it can be configured to simultaneously receive a WiFi signal and rebroadcast it with a different SSID, though generally the speed will be halved versus the original signal).

Most smartphones have tethering and hotspot. If you have a good signal you can use WiFi on several different devices at the same time. At home, I have gone to postpaid and use a 4G mobile hotspot. It works very well. When I stay at my condo, I use my phone hotspot. I could easily take the mobile hotspot with me but my wife would not be happy without her Facebook and the Internet. 

ADDED - I was using True and the Internet quit working. They insisted that the problem was with my equipment and that I had to buy a 4G air card. They were wrong. I bought the 4G air card and I still had no Internet. I now am using AIS post paid. It works well. I should add that my old 3G air card also works fine with AIS. My three True SIM cards went in the trash can.

Edited by Gary A