Police issue warning as "Grab Car" driver sexually assaults 17 year old girl in Chiang Mai, say cops

rooster59

Police issue warning as "Grab Car" driver sexually assaults 17 year old girl in Chiang Mai, say cops

cab.PNG

Image: Daily News

In a case that Daily News described as a first a Grab Car driver has been arrested by Chiang Mai police for molesting a seventeen year old woman in his car.

The victim said that the "handsome" driver was "all over her" while the driver denies the charge saying he "only asked for a cuddle".

But police top brass have warned the public that services such as Grab Car and Uber are not regulated and drivers not subject to checks.

The victim referred to only as "A" used the Grab Car app to call the car and take her from Chang Khlan to the Sam Kasat monument on Monday.

Jaran "Tel" Netawan, 26, arrived in his Mitsubishi Mirage and the female passenger sat behind. However he chatted her up and she felt safe enough to join him in the front seat to talk as the journey progressed.

But then the driver repeated grabbed her all over, she said. She didn't resist fearing for her safety, she claimed.

When the journey was over she told her parents and the matter was reported to police.

Jaran was arrested yesterday. He claimed that the alleged victim agreed to join him on a night out with a friend who phoned him during the journey but then she changed her mind.

He asked her for a "cuddle" just once and she agreed. He said he didn't know why he had been arrested and denied he assaulted the seventeen year old.

He was charged with sexual molestation of a girl aged between 15 and not yet 18 as well as using his car illegally.

Deputy police chief Piyaphan Patrapngsin warned the public about using Grab or Uber as their services and drivers were not regulated by the authorities and could not be controlled.

He said it should be a lesson to the public about the dangers of such services.

He said that the driver on this occasion was a handsome man with persuasive conversation that tricked the young woman.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-27

There doesn't appear to be any regulation of public transport in Chiangmai at all, except harassment of Uber drivers. Never seen any songtaew or tuk  tuk  driver stopped or checked or warned about their driving or refusal to use the meter.

As pointed out already, at least Grab and Uber drivers are traceable and accountable, so probably less chance of problems than traditional public transport.

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

But police top brass have warned the public that services such as Grab Car and Uber are not regulated and drivers not subject to checks.

Ah ... I see ...

So I guess what they call a 'check' for the regular taxi drivers must be something like this :

Police : Last but not least, Mr Wouldbetaxidriver, are you a rapist ?

Mr W. : Oh no, Sir perish the thought. I don't even know what rapist means. What does it mean ?

Police : It means are you likely to force sex on a passenger ?

Mr W. : Oh no Sir, perish the thought. Non consensual sex is no fun at all. Anyway, in my case - I mean look at me, Sir - if I may humbly point out I'm a handsome guy so it's not at all likely to happen.
Police : Quite so, quite so. Well, you pass the test, good luck, khun Somchai ! Neeeeeeext !

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Not like the super safe fully regulated taxi drivers

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

this mentality shows why we have to continue fearing Any involvement with police ({yes then why do they exist?})

so by this attempt at logic; if i give my neighbor's daughter a lift and try to fondle her, everything is ok because i am not regulated ...?! the law was broken and the law enforcers do not seem to know it 

OK, so let me get this straight, because a 17 year old girl got into a cab alone and allowed a handsome man with good powers of persuasion to "molest" her after moving into the front seat to be closer to him, (did he know she was underage?) and she allowed it without protest because she was so terrified and young and innocent, we now need to issue a warning about unlicensed Grab Taxi drivers?  Makes sense to me!  Keep in mind that the legal age of consent in Thailand is 15 years old if no money is involved and the parents consent.  I'm not sure what age it is legal to feel a woman's boobs.  

I'm booking a grab cab right now, I want a 21 year old bimbo driving, I want to be invited to sit up front and I want to be fondled and abused all the way to my destination, will that satisfy the nay sayers on here or not, please say yes, I so want to be fondled :whistling:

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

And Song Taews and Tuk tuks are boy you could have knocked me over with a feather on that statement. 

5 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

There doesn't appear to be any regulation of public transport in Chiangmai at all, except harassment of Uber drivers. Never seen any songtaew or tuk  tuk  driver stopped or checked or warned about their driving or refusal to use the meter.

As pointed out already, at least Grab and Uber drivers are traceable and accountable, so probably less chance of problems than traditional public transport.

Will you quit pointing out the obvious. Tylenol please. 

19 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He said that the driver on this occasion was a handsome man with persuasive conversation that tricked the young woman.

i see, then no crime was committed ?! law enforcement with no clue

22 hours ago, daboyz1 said:

I think I've read about 100 cases of things like this happening "regulated" taxis.

Nah, cannot be. Deputy police chief Piyaphan Patrapngsin said they are regulated!

And I just saw a pink elephant flying by :whistling:

3 hours ago, YetAnother said:

is this true ? i thought it used to be 16 and was raised last year to 20 ...

You are thinking of the legal age to have sex with an employee, which includes the purchase of sex.  This used to be 18 and now it's 20.  So it used to be legal to pay for 18 year old Thai vaginas but now they have to be 20.  And note that 15 only applies if the parents consent.  That's going to be expensive.  :-)