OH & S in Thailand?

All jokes aside, obviously OH & S is non existent in Thailand, though I would assume in an expensive condo with high maintenance fees, there should be some sort of OH & S rules or laws right? I tried googling but didn't really find much. 

Just a scenario: If  condominium management refuses to to turn on lights in common areas and the stairs are wet, and my gf falls from not seeing the wet stairs and breaks a bone, I would presume the condo management would be liable for her medical costs and more? since they are the ones that refuse to turn on the lights in certain areas on the building to save a few baht on electricity, is this presumption correct? 

I dont think it comes under OH&S as that is to do with workplace, it would be a public liability issue. I think you would find that a condo block would (should) have public liability insurance, as would a shopping center etc. I would imagine you could make a claim for damages via a lawyer.

Dont forget you are, in a way, suing yourself as part owner of the block. You may get a settlement and next year the condo block insurance goes up , and you fees.

Condo management companies would be indemnified under their contract unless gross negligence could be proven.

Very difficult to prove as they manage lighting hours etc under the direction of the Committee. Also if on one particular day it is dark and rainy and on that one particular day your gf did not see the water it is probably very difficult to prove GN.

In summary it is very difficult to prove GN.

On 5/27/2017 at 1:37 PM, Peterw42 said:

I dont think it comes under OH&S as that is to do with workplace, it would be a public liability issue. I think you would find that a condo block would (should) have public liability insurance, as would a shopping center etc. I would imagine you could make a claim for damages via a lawyer.

Dont forget you are, in a way, suing yourself as part owner of the block. You may get a settlement and next year the condo block insurance goes up , and you fees.

But the management refuse to turn lights on, even though we've asked them to and made it clear that is what we are paying for. The manager seems way too concerned about money that isn't theirs. Seems very fishy. 

1 minute ago, Mike West said:

But the management refuse to turn lights on, even though we've asked them to and made it clear that is what we are paying for. The manager seems way too concerned about money that isn't theirs. Seems very fishy. 

There would be a committee of owners, who the manager answers to, maybe talk to them.

12 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

There would be a committee of owners, who the manager answers to, maybe talk to them.

Agreed, you need to discuss it with the Committee. The reason to have a Committee is to make decisions as the management cannot listen to 100 different directions from 100 different owners.

You may feel it is necessary, others may not. The management need to follow the direction of the Committee.

Archived