Internet in deep, dark Sisaket

nellyp

My wife's village in Sisaket has no internet, but I would like to get some there. The internet through our phones is not good enough for my needs, and I was wondering if anybody has tried to get this done before. I have no idea where the nearest  internet is supplied to, but I would imagine one of the schools around here must have some. We are based about20 km from Huay Thap  Than and out in the rice fields. Any ideas about procedure, cost of connection would be appreciated. In fact, any ideas

Contact ToT and see if their broadband extends to there. It is not great but it is often the best option for remote places.

If not, another option is to use your mobile phone as a wifi hotspot, can do that with regular AIS or DTAC mobile service.

To get an idea how far away fiber cables are, drive around and lookout for these "cable circles":

post-99794-0-55782000-1425015869_thumb.jpg

These are fiberoptic cables.

ToT could make an offer depending on distance.

Visit the next ToT office.

But be prepared for a 5 digit installation cost for an individual line.

OK. Thanks all. i will send the misses to have a chat with the suppliers next week. Great idea about the cable circles by the way.

I have not heard of the Winet service before, but would that be Ok for Skype etc? I need a connection that handles that as I do video calls for work.

I am using the hotspot method at the moment, and that is definitely not good enough for my needs and is zero connection whenever it rains lol

55 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

To get an idea how far away fiber cables are, drive around and lookout for these "cable circles":

post-99794-0-55782000-1425015869_thumb.jpg

These are fiberoptic cables.

ToT could make an offer depending on distance.

Visit the next ToT office.

But be prepared for a 5 digit installation cost for an individual line.

I live in country side, 3 bb cant'go to my house , so I asked TOT , they installed an individual fiber line and  I am very satisfied ( 50/20 ) 750 bahts / months, TOT is good for remote places 

I live in rural Surin.  My village had no cable internet so I installed a dish from TOT and had pretty good internet.  About 6 months ago 3BB ran a fibre cable through the village so I signed up with them.

I imagine TOT will be your solution.  Look around for a small, around 300 cm or 12 inches across, dish on a 2 metre pole on top of roofs, that will be TOT.  It cost about 3000 baht to hook up and I paid about 700 baht p/m for around 25 mpb download.

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

tallation co

1 hour ago, Coota said:

I imagine TOT will be your solution.

Probably true but TOT is absolute rubbish constantly breaking down at your cost to repair due to the winds moving the mast fractionally and totally unusable past 7.30 in the evening. power modules constantly blowing.

Government has stated that everyone should have access to the internet by some date in the next couple of years.

It is not expensive, before 3BB Fibre came to our village in rural Surin,  some guy paid to have CAT put a fibre cable to his house at a cost of 40K baht for 5 kilometres ( maybe further) 

i could not use it (piggyback off it) as they said he owned it and ended up paying him 700bht for him to transmit to me via wifi ( 1.5 kilometres) but very good

31 minutes ago, vincent13 said:

TOT Wi-Net is OK most of the time. Can certainly use Skype with it. Not sure about installation costs but about 650 baht per month.

installation is if i recall was about 5 or 6000 baht plus the cost of the router 1200 baht  LNB failed after 8 months and then again after another 8 months they wanted 2600 baht to replace each time

yes you can use skype but not after 7.30 at night and the cost was 650 baht per month for unlimited

i believe that they were slowing the connection on purpose for using too much data.. All farangs in the area had exactly the same problems as myself.

When i finally pulled the mast down i found it was being held in place by loose bent over nails, no wonder the mast was constantly moving out of position (had to call them out about every 6/8 weeks 400 baht) 

5 hours ago, Aforek said:

I live in country side, 3 bb cant'go to my house , so I asked TOT , they installed an individual fiber line and  I am very satisfied ( 50/20 ) 750 bahts / months, TOT is good for remote places 

Same as me.

Have it since 2014.

Very few problems except to two cable cuts by some bumpkins tearing it down with machinery or the like.

Dont be surprised if TOT wants you to pay for the wire from the closest hub to your house.  Back when my wife and I moved from BKK to Surin that is what they told her. They quoted 120,000B. We ended up with CAT wireless router.

about 3 years ago TOT finally got our village wired up. 

I ma not sure what you want to do. Not so long ago internet connection  2400 baud. And in most parts of the world there is no internet at all.

You can use use True Move H, DTAC, AIS or other mobile providers

We have the funny situation that mobile network is faster then then the cable or fiber networks due to the way the networks are made and the overbooking.

Dtac and True give us the best connection around Thailand.

128 / 384 kbps is fast enough for most applications.

Be aware for application like those of Facebook they are a bandwith eaters as well a data eater. Opera has even developed a free program for it to save your valuable data.

Unless you have no mobile data coverage by true, dtac or ais you actually have no problems

Live in very, very, extremely rural Sisaket and have been using TOT Winet for almost three years.  Get about 10 Kbs, but that works fine.  Any troubles and the service guys are on the  scene  quickly.  I forget what the installation charge was, but that's because it was too cheap to make me remember.  Did have to put up own tower for the tiny dish, but its construction was under 4k baht.  600 baht monthly.  Unlimited download.  Stream video no problem.  Use Skype frequently.  If nothing else more conveniently available, check it out.

10 hours ago, oobar said:

Live in very, very, extremely rural Sisaket and have been using TOT Winet for almost three years.  Get about 10 Kbs, but that works fine.  Any troubles and the service guys are on the  scene  quickly.  I forget what the installation charge was, but that's because it was too cheap to make me remember.  Did have to put up own tower for the tiny dish, but its construction was under 4k baht.  600 baht monthly.  Unlimited download.  Stream video no problem.  Use Skype frequently.  If nothing else more conveniently available, check it out.

Somebody already has it and they are not happy with it. I don't know about whether it is on a tower though (will that affect it badly), and I am concerned about it being useless in bad weather (rain, wind, etc). How has the weather affected reception? Also, are you sure about that 10Kbs figure?

11 hours ago, Autonuaq said:

I ma not sure what you want to do. Not so long ago internet connection  2400 baud. And in most parts of the world there is no internet at all.

You can use use True Move H, DTAC, AIS or other mobile providers

We have the funny situation that mobile network is faster then then the cable or fiber networks due to the way the networks are made and the overbooking.

Dtac and True give us the best connection around Thailand.

128 / 384 kbps is fast enough for most applications.

Be aware for application like those of Facebook they are a bandwith eaters as well a data eater. Opera has even developed a free program for it to save your valuable data.

Unless you have no mobile data coverage by true, dtac or ais you actually have no problems

Mobile hotspot connection is definitely not stable enough or fast enough for me at the moment. Video is almost a picture because it freezes; and I need video for my work.

Thanks any way

21 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Wow, that's steep.

Many kilometers?

I agree, that seems expensive, but we don't know how far it was from a mian connection

8 hours ago, nellyp said:

Somebody already has it and they are not happy with it. I don't know about whether it is on a tower though (will that affect it badly), and I am concerned about it being useless in bad weather (rain, wind, etc). How has the weather affected reception? Also, are you sure about that 10Kbs figure?

Speed can vary -- and does.  Just checked  it now, and it was  7Mbs, but it sometimes goes to 12Mbs, but it usually around 9 or 10.  Rain  does  not seem  to degrade reception.  But you need  to be reasonably close (and high enough) to the feed to get a decent line-of-sight connection.  Here's a pic of my tower.  It's about 60 feet from ground to top.  I'd rather have 3bb, now only 1.2 km away, but they won't come.  In any case, considering the unavailability of choices,  this ain't bad at all.  Some problems because of lightning strikes (though not  at my end) and electricity outages now and again, but I really can't complain -- at least not very often or very much.

TOTwinet.jpg

Edited by oobar
Mbs, not Kbs.