After you got married did your wife change her name to yours?

ubonr1971

20 minutes ago, howard ashoul said:

My second argument was, that if we have children, I want they have Thai name after her mother. Not a farang name. As they would live in Thailand.

Entirely up to you if this is truly what you want, however, I would say it is a bit short sighted though, as to say that they will live in Thailand is making a decision for them and they are not even born yet!

Both of my Children have my surname, they both have dual nationality and could go and live and work in the UK as citizens, one day they might want to, who knows, certainly their choice, not mine.

Having a Farang surname doesn't appear to disadvantage them here in Thailand in anyway shape or form, they also have Farang forenames as well!

Also, I am not sure regarding Thai Law, but if you are registered as the Father on the birth certificate, then they may have to adopt your surname?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Thongkorn said:

the wife just added my Sir name, kept her Thai name on all her Thai documents ,Then she does not lose the right to own land in Thailand,

That's not correct. I think you have that mixed up. Born as a Thai in thailand does not mean you lose right to buy land if you change surnames to anything. Either you are misinformed or you have misunderstood but you are incorrect in that statement.

On 2017-6-1 at 3:47 PM, Mattd said:

Entirely up to you if this is truly what you want, however, I would say it is a bit short sighted though, as to say that they will live in Thailand is making a decision for them and they are not even born yet!

Both of my Children have my surname, they both have dual nationality and could go and live and work in the UK as citizens, one day they might want to, who knows, certainly their choice, not mine.

Having a Farang surname doesn't appear to disadvantage them here in Thailand in anyway shape or form, they also have Farang forenames as well!

Also, I am not sure regarding Thai Law, but if you are registered as the Father on the birth certificate, then they may have to adopt your surname?

From my own experience recently, no. I am detailed as the father on b/c and my son has his mother's surname.

8 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

That's not correct. I think you have that mixed up. Born as a Thai in thailand does not mean you lose right to buy land if you change surnames to anything. Either you are misinformed or you have misunderstood but you are incorrect in that statement.

He was right a few years back  40 or so.....1971.....A Thai woman marrying a Farang lost all rights to own property in Thailand. It has Changed....................:coffee1:

Prior to the regulation a Thai national married to a foreigner lost the right to acquire land in Thailand because without the procedure the foreign spouse would acquire (illegal) co-ownership in land pursuant to Thai laws governing property of husband and wife (continue: the registration procedure). https://www.samuiforsale.com/knowledge/land-ownership-and-thai-spouse.html

My wife also changed her last name to mine.  I left it up to her and she made the decision. Other than changing a lot of documents and her ID card, it apparently has caused her no problems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...