After you got married did your wife change her name to yours?

ubonr1971

31 minutes ago, smotherb said:

My wife has taken my surname and it was on her credit card. However, I do not see the embarrassment no matter what the room clerk thinks.

Well said.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

My son bares the Mrs surname and when we marry I will take hers.

Enjoy filling out all the paper work. Not as easy as people think. Easy for woman to take mans name other way round well youll see.

Just now, jeab1980 said:

Enjoy filling out all the paper work. Not as easy as people think. Easy for woman to take mans name other way round well youll see.

Never sought an easy route to anything jeab. Simply a hurdle which will be overcome. Thanks for you advice though.

for both of us, it is 2nd time 'round.

She had previously taken on the surname of the since-ex wife-bashing-control-freak, but for this new life, she kept that falang name.

Mainly she'd say it was because she kikyat to go thru it all again.

To me, she since says it's because her girls have his name, and they'd be embarrassed to have different name to mum.

At the time of 'our' marriage, the subject of new surname came up during the pre-event organising;

The 1st hurdle was that the celebrant had asked what surname?

but then went on and on that missus's signature would have to change. I said 'No' to that requirement!

Anyhow, from this; the missus took up same strange fight, to insist 'no-change' because she not want do it all again!!

Funnily, I had already earlier said that no matter what surname she had, and subsequently has, the signature does not ever have to change, and that her 1st control-freak shouldn't have made her change her surname and signature 20+ years earlier.

After all this time she flutters her eyes that she has a 'lucky' surname, because it is a falang one

(heh heh it is just the almost most common C.D.F. name of Smith -  a name that had caused her a lot of personal embarrassment, ending in bitter divorce)

It doesn't matter, that even 20+ years later, she still has the finger/hand co-ordination problem of trying to sign the new signature

(the same thing my own sister still cannot easily sign her name, even after being married 31 years)

Anyhow, I have for many years said "why don't you go just back to the maiden 'Wajeesat' name??"

But missus always replies that "it is bad luck to use old name".

Bottom line is that I don't see whatever surname (as the question) - but that I simply suggest one does not try to insist she change her Signature if she does do a name change.

Think about it: Original ID card, passport, Drivers Licence - all these carry a signature, which is as unique as a fingerprint, and it is difficult to change your signature away from what naturally flows from the embedded actions of your wrist.

A signature doesn't have to even look like your name, especially when you see the absolute cryptic scribble that some people have.

48 minutes ago, tifino said:

She had previously taken on the surname of the since-ex wife-bashing-control-freak, but for this new life, she kept that falang name.

To me, she since says it's because her girls have his name, and they'd be embarrassed to have different name to mum.

At the time of 'our' marriage, the subject of new surname came up during the pre-event organising;

but then went on and on that missus's signature would have to change. I said 'No' to that requirement!

Anyhow, from this; the missus took up same strange fight, to insist 'no-change' because she not want do it all again!!

Funnily, I had already earlier said that no matter what surname she had, and subsequently has, the signature does not ever have to change, and that her 1st control-freak shouldn't have made her change her surname and signature 20+ years earlier.

After all this time she flutters her eyes that she has a 'lucky' surname, because it is a falang one

(heh heh it is just the almost most common C.D.F. name of Smith -  a name that had caused her a lot of personal embarrassment, ending in bitter divorce)

It doesn't matter, that even 20+ years later, she still has the finger/hand co-ordination problem of trying to sign the new signature

(the same thing my own sister still cannot easily sign her name, even after being married 31 years)

Anyhow, I have for many years said "why don't you go just back to the maiden 'Wajeesat' name??"

Bottom line is that I don't see whatever surname (as the question) - but that I simply suggest one does not try to insist she change her Signature if she does do a name change.

Think about it: Original ID card, passport, Drivers Licence - all these carry a signature, which is as unique as a fingerprint, and it is difficult to change your signature away from what naturally flows from the embedded actions of your wrist.

A signature doesn't have to even look like your name, especially when you see the absolute cryptic scribble that some people have.

Not sure I understand the problem with signing a different name--you say "finger/hand co-ordination problem." You mean she cannot sign whatever name she wants to sign?

try an experiment;

you have (put on a skirt) and changed you surname

and now you are now re-writing your own signature, but try adapting it with some new surname in it

and do it 50 times

quickly

23 hours ago, Boatman37210 said:

Did not change.  Assumption was made, right or wrong, that documents would need to be changed.  i.e. drivers license, passport, housing papers, others?  It was not that important to either of use.  Married 5 years.

what a big deal....? And if she applies for a Passport (obviously she didn't yet) then you will have 2 different names. What a shit is that?

Once the marriage is legally acknowledged and registered by your embassy (means registered in your country) it's very easy to have the name changed in ALL official documents here. But I suppose YOU are not legally married?

My wife took mine and it was totally up to her as to what she wanted to do. Even changed her first name to a name she always like better.  That threw me a little.  Get use to calling her one name then have to switch to another!

In hotels its always my wife who register, even when I make  a booking by  some booking website under my name. Never had any problem , in 99% of the case, the frontdesk not even ask my pasport  to register. Maybe its depend on the apearance and her familtname . 

But  its was the same with my deceased wife.

1 hour ago, tifino said:

She had previously taken on the surname of the since-ex , but for this new life, she kept that falang name.

Sorry never seen a thai sign as Westerners do  they usualy just write there name. I can see why some might want to keep the family name but i would never understand why someone would want to keep a name that would remind them of a "wife-bashing-control-freak" unless of course she still loves him.

5 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Been married almost 9 years, and no problems with wife not taking my name.  But when I adopted her son, at the age of 30, he immediately had his last name changed to mine, to "honor my father".  He's one hell of a good young man (now 34), and I couldn't ask for a better son.  Also have a 21 year old niece who flatly tells everyone that I am her father, and is proud of it.  She's got 2 years to go to finish her degree and become a lawyer.  I think I'm fairly lucky.  

Personally I don't see that it matters one way or another it's up to the individuals concerned

My first wife in Australia kept her family name for business reasons and my Thai wife has kept her family name

When our daughter was born here I wanted her to have my wife's family name but the authorities insisted that as we were legally married she had to take mine so we ended up with her having both

It has never created a problem in any area whatsoever 

Yes in my country but not here.  A lot of palaver and bother with land registry banks ID card etc etc etc.  Also we are told it invites attention from the local IRD.  Two passports (even in different names make the coming & going easier at both ends.  At my end when we go back there, no queues.  Straight through on the electronic immigration gates.  However her bank accounts in my country are still under the old maiden name as she had not married in my country at that stage.  But it causes no problems at all.  She always has 2 passports with her. 

3 hours ago, henry15 said:

In hotels its always my wife who register, even when I make  a booking by  some booking website under my name. Never had any problem , in 99% of the case, the frontdesk not even ask my pasport  to register. Maybe its depend on the apearance and her familtname . 

But  its was the same with my deceased wife.

Ohhhhhhh!!!!  So Immigration probably never know you spent that two nights in Phuket/Pattaya/ Chiang Mai with her.  (PS.  I think a few of us do that.  Also stay in the car while she registers as it might be cheaper,

But, always remember it us usually cheaper to register and pay online, even from the road outside or hotel carpark, than booking by phone or just trucking into the desk to ask "Do you have a room?"

On 5/27/2017 at 9:16 AM, cliveshep said:

My wife changed her name legally and also on her I.D card and Tabien Baan. Then we were able to register the marriage properly, and later I got my own pink ID card and Yellow book.

My wife did the same. Mind you, i do have a rather nice surname, which made her happy. She changed her ID card as well.She rather likes it, if she goes to the hospital and they call "...Mrs......She applied for her bike and drivers liscences in her married name too. Even our dogs are registered at the vets as 'Highway, Lucky, and Panda ,,,surname.

Its also a bit nicer at immigration, when they see the marriage certificate and that the surname has changed. One imm guy told me that it shows I'm not just a ' 6 month husband.They know us at imm, and we just sail through.We never have to show any form of address, or marriage cert any more.Also, it gives us both a sort of ' we are serious about each other'feeling.I have never bothered going after the ID card for me though. But it does piss her off a bit when i introduce her as my "present wife"

I married my wife in UK 22 years ago and she took my name there for the passport etc. Since being back in Thailand we've never felt the need to change any of her documents here aside from the registration of our marriage at the amphur (for that elusive marriage extension) where there was still no need to change.

Married a year ago, she took mine, however there was a 6-month delay between the marriage and the name change due to ongoing business. She didn't come from any reputable family and had a common last name so she had no issue changing.

I think we should leave it up to the woman - obviously,  a woman from a reputable family wouldn't want to become "Mrs. Smith", while a rice farmer daughter or a girl with a very common name should take her husband's last name. And last, women who are from "well known families" where everyone knows the family by last name wouldn't want to abandon her last name for something common like Jonhson or Smith. It all depends on the context.

On 5/27/2017 at 8:16 PM, happylarry said:

One good reason to change names is when you book into a hotel as a couple but using different names, many women would lose face by doing this I would have thought.

Also it must help when applying for visas to different countries.

Personally we couldn't see the point of not doing so, it's not as if it's a big hassle changing a few id's.

HL

My wife did initially want to take my name but I advised her to keep her own, I did not want any hassle from the police. The company she worked for handled explosives and she was the most senior working Thai, had to report every six months for photograph & fingerprinting.

She has been retired about four years now and kept on her own name as it proved to be beneficial in many respects. Checking into a Thai hotel is far easier as a Thai than a foreigner , invariably I just get ignored.

We have been all round Asia, 3 European countries and Canada without a problem, only in the UK is it questionable when husband and wife do not have the same name.

On 2017-5-27 at 4:36 PM, ubonjoe said:

My wife had no choice when we registered our marriage since it was before 2002 when they changed the law that said she had to take my family name.

Never been a problem for her. She has bought land and done many other things. She was even the village head for 5 years.

Interestingly, my now ex. wife did not change her surname after we married in June 1999, this despite it being a legal requirement for females to change their surnames to their husbands back then, all of her Government related documentation, i.e. I.D. card, passport etc. also referred to her as 'Miss' and not 'Mrs' and to my knowledge this was never an issue for her up to the divorce in 2015.

Anybody know what the penalty was for not changing pre 2002?

I did try telling her that it meant the marriage was not legal and therefore null and void!!!

In those times, certainly a lot of the Thai women did try to avoid the change, as one point, if they had a Farang surname they were prohibited to own land.

Edited by Mattd

Just got married two weeks ago and she changed her name. My son also has my last name from birth. I told her it was up to her and she wanted to change her name. She has all ready changed her I'd card and bank. She is doing the d/l next week.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 3:47 PM, Boatman37210 said:

Assumption was made, right or wrong, that documents would need to be changed.  i.e. drivers license, passport, housing papers, others?

My wife did that the morning after we married and took all of half an hour, except the passport which was done a week later at MFA by fast track.

Edited by GuiseppeD

I got married at Monday.

My wife insisted, that she will change her name to mine. But after all that bureaucrazy, we went through to get married, I didn't agree (we were refused at eight amphurs to get married). I wasn't in mood to getting all of her documents replaced. My second argument was, that if we have children, I want they have Thai name after her mother. Not a farang name. As they would live in Thailand.

But it would be nice your wife having your name. It gives it more legitimacy to your marriage and makes it more like commitment.

37 minutes ago, Beats56 said:

Just got married two weeks ago and she changed her name. My son also has my last name from birth. I told her it was up to her and she wanted to change her name. She has all ready changed her I'd card and bank. She is doing the d/l next week.

Tell her not to forget passport