Will Thailand shed its image as a sex tourism destination?

Scott

Will Thailand be successful in shedding its image as a sex tourism destination?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Will Thailand be successful in shedding its image as a sex tourism destination?

• Yes.
    • No.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

The only way to end the image of sex tourism is to end sex tourism.  They only way to do that would be a massive crackdown in Pattaya, Phuket and parts of Bangkok.

So, how would they do the crackdown? 

Shutting down the bars would just drive the girls (and boys) out into the streets.  Mass arrests of the girls who provide the services would be ineffective if it just resulted in a lecture and a 500฿ fine.  Sending the girls off to re-education camps wouldn't go down too well, so there seems to be no good way to cut off the supply. 

Demand, however, could to reduced to a trickle, by arresting a couple of thousand foreign sex tourists!  This action, however would have a very negative effect on the tourist numbers and income! 

It is not just foreigners who pay for sex in Thailand...

It is a big industry that is the only means for many families to survive, you could close down Pat Pong, Nana, Cowboy, Patong, Pattaya, etc. but it will only just move to other areas.

6 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

The only way to end the image of sex tourism is to end sex tourism.  They only way to do that would be a massive crackdown in Pattaya, Phuket and parts of Bangkok.

So, how would they do the crackdown? 

Shutting down the bars would just drive the girls (and boys) out into the streets.  Mass arrests of the girls who provide the services would be ineffective if it just resulted in a lecture and a 500฿ fine.  Sending the girls off to re-education camps wouldn't go down too well, so there seems to be no good way to cut off the supply. 

Demand, however, could to reduced to a trickle, by arresting a couple of thousand foreign sex tourists!  This action, however would have a very negative effect on the tourist numbers and income! 

Give them an insect, and they will eat the insect.

Give them a pig face, and they will eat the face of the pig.

Send the prostitutes home, and they will surely all go home.

Personally, I don't give a damn if they shut down the bars or not but the people who will suffer most are not the girls but the bar owners, police and politicians. It's a scam business my friend.

Edited by Shroud

Some people enjoy sex with many partners. Some people enjoy sex with one partner only. Some people don't like sex. Some people enjoy telling others how to live. In 30 years all of us will be dead and replaced by others so do now what you want to do. For me I enjoy sex and I ain't dead yet. If no sex in Thailand then time to move on. 

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

Only when the police force is re-formed.  There was a crackdown on soi 6 whilst a new deal was negotiated.  No customers were allowed upstairs but it was OK to use the short time hotel (which is, coincidentally, police owned.)

As they say in business sounds like a hostile takeover. 

42 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Some people enjoy sex with many partners. Some people enjoy sex with one partner only. Some people don't like sex. Some people enjoy telling others how to live. In 30 years all of us will be dead and replaced by others so do now what you want to do. For me I enjoy sex and I ain't dead yet. If no sex in Thailand then time to move on. 

So in your description of sex is "Rosy Palm" included?. She demands little. Leave your bags unpacked I think you will be here for a while well till your "sexual" partner(s) transition to palliative care givers.

When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east.  When water runs uphill. When Bernie Sanders gets elected. Only when these three things happen will the universe be truly aligned and Thailand will lose its reputation.

Given time all things change...

The crucial Question is not if Thailand will Shed its image...it should be how long it will take.

Everything is getting more expensive year by year here.

This includes Sex.

So if they are not careful they might price themselves out of the market...

Once Sex is not readily affordable anymore for the Foreigners coming to Thailand then this side of the Business will close down.

Simple economics.

8 minutes ago, Tom9999 said:

Given time all things change...

The crucial Question is not if Thailand will Shed its image...it should be how long it will take.

Everything is getting more expensive year by year here.

This includes Sex.

So if they are not careful they might price themselves out of the market...

Once Sex is not readily affordable anymore for the Foreigners coming to Thailand then this side of the Business will close down.

Simple economics.

Increasing the price will lead to the punter requiring increased quality, no more quickie knee tremblers in the soi outside the bar. 

The locals use it more than the tourists according to many on here, many expats are here solely for it according to what has been written and has someone has written its the only thing they have to sell direct as the rest is governed by the so called elite. But even this is if you look at where it goes down.

20% GDP off tourists and about the same or even more from sex sales I guess that never see's any tax being deducted.

So until everyone is treated fair and a living wage is paid, this is how local family's will live and have to live.

Where there is prostitution there is crime and there is lots of that here.

Its the only way to make a buck for some here, so no it will never change, it will get worse as conditions deteriorate as they have done over the last 3 years.

Biggest shock I had was when one of the girls in the village said to my wife she was off to Patt as she needed some money quick to pay off a loan, that was just after she asked us to let her have a loan. She went and 3 weeks later she was back with loan paid off, then took another loan from the same people.

Away of life that will never change as the elite make sure the education is not there to move the country forward.

Looks like the whole country is into prostitution in one way or another and always will be.

4 hours ago, the guest said:

They could shut down the sex trade instantly if they wanted to, but it brings in too much revenue for the country. 

It's mainly internal money moving around , part of Thailand GDP, what comes in would be insignificant.  

Whoever finds a way to end thailands image as the sex capital should be given a free trip to Hae Mong Son as a reward for ending this bad image. Desert would have to be included.

Edited by wow64

The way to end the sex trade in Thailand is obvious--end poverty in Thailand.

Until then there will always be young women who, given the choice of earning a few hundred baht a day doing "honest" work, or a few thousand baht a night working on their back, will choose the latter.

Of course this is also true in other countries with widespread income inequality, once you just adjust the type of currency.

15 hours ago, imo said:

What is wrong with sex?

I think it is time first the whole world gets the same image. Perhaps then sex is seen as a natural thing beyond morals.

signed: "make love, not war"

The most sensible comment I have seen in a long time.

17 hours ago, imo said:

What is wrong with sex?

I think it is time first the whole world gets the same image. Perhaps then sex is seen as a natural thing beyond morals.

signed: "make love, not war"

If in western countries allow the same freedom as in Thailand then sex problem could be huge and natural .In some western countries law is already punishing man just for looking at  unknown woman  .. to long... Freedom is going down ..Soon sex will be allowed after application to the rulers...:cheesy:  Sick world becoming sicker ...I experienced a lot from Indonesia and specially Bali where corruption thrive  and it is in this nation as normal thing for ages...I personally like it a lot . My life over was much easier over there and much less unnecessary problems. Look on those who ruling this world and how much corruption is there on highest level.. The difference is that they use corruption just among themselves and average is only loosing ...  It's not cleaning . It is just chasing to make Tax man happy and other type of business to take place...

Edited by gigman

Thailand first needs to address it's much bigger problem with prostitution catering for the domestic market. The sextourism market will right itself once Thailand starts treating it's lower classes in a better, less selfish way. But I don't expect them to do that anytime soon.

17 hours ago, leeneeds said:

Having a small head that likes to duck into  moist dark  places, 

and once entered that place,  the feeling of never wanting to leave and 

thrusting ever more into its depths , brings on a release of pure ecstasy 

why would you ever mess with such pleasure.

It's obvious that you never had a summer job as a teenager cleaning out the fireboxes on oil fired furnaces for $3.50 an hour.  I quit before we had to clean out the grease trap from the kitchen.

Honestly.....what other reason to be there?  The raw sewage in the ocean?  The farang police pulling you over twice a week?  The girl that says "I love you" and forgets to say "short time"?  The dishonest barmaids (whores) that all lie for each other AND rip you off?  The sleazy condo owner that changes the lease terms AND rips you off?  The back stabbing farang?  The street vendor that charges you 200 baht for some fruit and then charges a Thai 25% of what you paid for the same thing.  Nope!  It IS ONLY the slit.  Nothing else there is of any value.

7 minutes ago, Joebuzz said:

Honestly.....what other reason to be there?  The raw sewage in the ocean?  The farang police pulling you over twice a week?  The girl that says "I love you" and forgets to say "short time"?  The dishonest barmaids (whores) that all lie for each other AND rip you off?  The sleazy condo owner that changes the lease terms AND rips you off?  The back stabbing farang?  The street vendor that charges you 200 baht for some fruit and then charges a Thai 25% of what you paid for the same thing.  Nope!  It IS ONLY the slit.  Nothing else there is of any value.

Gentlemen, this is not what you would call a Quality Tourist.

:laugh:

too much money in sex in Thailand. Sex is a very huge boost to the Thai economy. Without sex, there would be 20 million out-of-work Thais and 60-80% less tourists.  Let's not forget the bribes and corruption involved in the sex businesses.

Thailand first needs to address it's much bigger problem with prostitution catering for the domestic market. The sextourism market will right itself once Thailand starts treating it's lower classes in a better, less selfish way. But I don't expect them to do that anytime soon.

Indeed. It's part of the culture.

"Falang go home alone, sleep alone, take care self."

3 hours ago, gigman said:

If in western countries allow the same freedom as in Thailand then sex problem could be huge and natural .In some western countries law is already punishing man just for looking at  unknown woman  .. to long... Freedom is going down ..Soon sex will be allowed after application to the rulers...:cheesy:  Sick world becoming sicker ...I experienced a lot from Indonesia and specially Bali where corruption thrive  and it is in this nation as normal thing for ages...I personally like it a lot . My life over was much easier over there and much less unnecessary problems. Look on those who ruling this world and how much corruption is there on highest level.. The difference is that they use corruption just among themselves and average is only loosing ...  It's not cleaning . It is just chasing to make Tax man happy and other type of business to take place...

Could you please translate the above.