Petrol or CNG trucks with automatic transmission?

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a 4-door truck, new or just a few years old, with a CNG or petrol engine (for conversion to CNG) with automatic transmission. It appears there is a single new Toyota Hilux model with petrol engine that might suit my needs, but wanted to see if anybody knew of other options. Ideally would buy the Hilux (2015-2016) used, but I know it will be challenging to track down the petrol model. Any suggestions or other options? 

Thanks!

(BTW I fully understand the limitations of CNG and the lesser power of the petrol engine, but have specific requirements that the CNG satisfies)

19 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

l would suggest you buy a new one if you want petrol.

If you want a economy vehicle go with Toyota 2.5 turbo diesel.

If it is a truck, agree it most likely is diesel,  which is cheaper that 91,95  sure CNG, is cheaper but gives you no flexibility in refueling especially if you travel long distant.

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

CNG is a completely flawed system of fueling vehicles LPG is superior.

Personally I would say CNG far from flawed the only disadvantage l can see is availability l'd go for CNG  rather than carrying a potential bomb around. :biggrin:

Personally I would say CNG far from flawed the only disadvantage l can see is availability l'd go for CNG  rather than carrying a potential bomb around. :biggrin:

CNG is much more highly compressed than LPG , that is why it takes so long to fill a CNG tank ,both by their very nature are explosive and I wouldnt want to be riding in a vehicle if either exploded....same can be said about petrol,

the safer fuel is Diesel.

Never understand the obsession with trucks ( pickups as they call them here) 

What's wrong with a Camry or Accord- not bad cars.

Before the pick up brigade  shoot me down - he did ask for suggestions- why on earth do you need an agricultural vehicle? 

I think the only new pick-ups available with CNG are Toyota , Mitsubishi and Tata. Under bed / floor tanks increase space. Slow CNG fill-ups unless you use a "Mother Station" , which has faster pumps. Safer than petrol. You can shoot those tanks without leakage , unlike a thinner plastin petrol tank , which may rupture in a crash. I looked into CNG and the savings and longer filling times didnt make it worthwhile , for my intended mileage and use. Good luck.

7 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Before the pick up brigade  shoot me down - he did ask for suggestions- why on earth do you need an agricultural vehicle? 

Pickup's are very useful and many use, as I did for a few years, as our main form of transport. 

Top of range are little over 1M thb.

I could get four adults inside and in acceptable comfort. Plus four sets of golf clubs and cases in the rear ... you can't do that in a 'poor man's merc' can you.

Useful now as there is a bit of water about and more to come I think.

Also there are many places to visit in Thailand where I wouldn't wish to take a car, even if it would go there.

Pot holes ... we don't need to go there.

.Of course some are more acceptable than others ...

Enjoy ... ☺

Edited by JAS21

Guys  LPG, CNG, although cheaper your Engine will have a very short life time, Gas powered vehicles run

at high Temp over 100C, & burn the valves plus wears the liners & low power, No tradein value as engine beyond repair,

Pick up Diesel powered vehicle's temp between 85/92c & if you drive within reason below 100Km you can get  11Km/L follow the PM Schedule & you have a Vehicle for Life unless you want to keep up with

the Jones Family next door change out for New Vehicle every few years & waste your $$$$,

1 hour ago, bontang said:

Guys  LPG, CNG, although cheaper your Engine will have a very short life time, Gas powered vehicles run

at high Temp over 100C, & burn the valves plus wears the liners & low power, No tradein value as engine beyond repair,

Pick up Diesel powered vehicle's temp between 85/92c & if you drive within reason below 100Km you can get  11Km/L follow the PM Schedule & you have a Vehicle for Life unless you want to keep up with

the Jones Family next door change out for New Vehicle every few years & waste your $$$$,

well this information must be over 30 years old

modern lpg installation does not know powerloss and i have owned a mazda 626  1600 cc in 1990 that drove more than 550.000 km on lpg maybe about 10 % power loss ok

but if this dam tree did not attemt to cross the road on my saterday night out the thing would have made 100.000 km for sure

10 hours ago, bontang said:

I'm sorry to say what you wrote is basically crap... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2017 at 9:55 PM, peterb17 said:

Pick up trucks are not for everyone since they have rough suspension, but they become very handy for some people. 

I used to have Toyota truck and I loved it. They are higher and easy to be fixed, no complications. I never took my truck to mechanics during 12 years that I owned it. Double cabs are very nice and roomy and feels like SUV , but of course rough ride. 

I shall buy it here again. :smile:

Edited by Foozool

14 minutes ago, Foozool said:

. Double cabs are very nice and roomy and feels like SUV , but of course rough ride. 

Like SUV yes MU7 for example,  disagree on rough ride you obviously never got Tran's tyre pressure gauge. :w00t: 

3 minutes ago, Foozool said:

2 Ton truck has not been designed to work as a sedan. 

Not sure what you mean a 2 ton truck with mods can work just as well as a sedan IMHO and in many types of conditions better. :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Not sure what you mean a 2 ton truck with mods can work just as well as a sedan IMHO and in many types of conditions better. :thumbsup:

When visited you,  l had sold my Vigo a good while before,  riding in yours reminded me of what comfortable silent ride it was.

Truck rides here are certainly underrated.

On 5/30/2017 at 9:55 PM, peterb17 said:

I need an agricultural vehicle because I'll be using it for agriculture.

And I need CNG because we'll be producing methane on the farm.

So any further suggestions on models is helpful! The challenge is the 4-door + petrol or CNG from the factory. 

If I can't find a 4-door petrol, is repowering a used diesel model to petrol engine something worth looking into here? 

Thanks

19 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

Have you bothered to look at the models i have already suggested.

I have. It seems the Toyota I mentioned in my first post is the only one with automatic tranny and 4 doors doing a gas engine. TATA does CNG but only for 2 doors and can't find a Triton CNG with 4 doors and automatic...(auto for my wife)

Edited by boisuthep

27 minutes ago, boisuthep said:

I have. It seems the Toyota I mentioned in my first post is the only one with automatic tranny and 4 doors doing a gas engine. TATA does CNG but only for 2 doors and can't find a Triton CNG with 4 doors and automatic...(auto for my wife)

Mitsubishi New Triton  see website    https://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.th/en/car/limited-edition/ ........... Double Cab Plus Limited Edition 5AT in Pyreness Black 914,000 baht  or White Pearl 921,000 baht.

They will fit 2x CNG or LPG tanks under the rear bed....  when asking there were a number of option how/where to mount the spare wheel..

www.toyota.co.th/model/hilux_revo_double_cab

On 6/12/2017 at 2:49 PM, ignis said:

Mitsubishi New Triton  see website    https://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.th/en/car/limited-edition/ ........... Double Cab Plus Limited Edition 5AT in Pyreness Black 914,000 baht  or White Pearl 921,000 baht.

They will fit 2x CNG or LPG tanks under the rear bed....  when asking there were a number of option how/where to mount the spare wheel..

www.toyota.co.th/model/hilux_revo_double_cab

Ok, thanks for sharing!