Gotta love Pattaya

thaibeachlovers

Hotel costs same per week as what I paid in a caravan park back home ( a house has become unaffordable as far as housing goes for pensioners without deep pockets or their own home )

It's always hot

I can get a burger at 3 am

Don't need a car.

It's safer from bad people

Movies are cheaper

There is actually something known as a nightlife here. Back home, almost everyone has gone to bed by 10 pm.

Good to hear you thrive here.

Yes most of us comes from generally cold countries compared to here and I prefer hot over cold any day of the week, back home you only go to restaurants 1 or 2 times per month, here we go everyday.

If one looks at the positive sides instead of the negative ones, we would not have all those miserable old guys here on TV posting negative posts about Thailand all the time.

28 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

If one looks at the positive sides instead of the negative ones, we would not have all those miserable old guys here on TV posting negative posts about Thailand all the time.

How boring would that be? :smile:

I would add:   Low taxes.  Good choice of condos to rent or buy at a variety of price ranges.  If you buy, very low maintenance fees compared to the West.  Can walk into Pattaya International or Bangkok Pattaya Hospital without an appointment and usually see a doctor in less than an hour.   Lots of shopping from nice malls to street vendors and its all close by.  Big international airport less than 2 hours away--and a closer one being improved to handle more flights.  Wide variety of restaurant food.  Plumbers, electricians, auto mechanics, carpenters, artists, seamstresses, furniture makers, and the like all available at reasonable prices.  Beautiful ocean, coastline, and island views.

Many people compare apples with oranges, of course it's a lot cheaper in Thailand, all you have to do is look at their monthly income, it's all relative.  Does anybody think that if they had the same salary, they would live in fancy condos, go to restaurants everyday, go to big hospitals such as Bangkok hospital with no health insurance? No, so stop comparing apples with oranges.  That was my thought for the day.

1 hour ago, newnative said:

I would add:   Low taxes.  Good choice of condos to rent or buy at a variety of price ranges.  If you buy, very low maintenance fees compared to the West.  Can walk into Pattaya International or Bangkok Pattaya Hospital without an appointment and usually see a doctor in less than an hour.   Lots of shopping from nice malls to street vendors and its all close by.  Big international airport less than 2 hours away--and a closer one being improved to handle more flights.  Wide variety of restaurant food.  Plumbers, electricians, auto mechanics, carpenters, artists, seamstresses, furniture makers, and the like all available at reasonable prices.  Beautiful ocean, coastline, and island views.

I first came here 56 years ago with the US Marine Corps (4 months)and started returning here in the early 1970s to live and work in the area for 10 years.I always knew where I was planing to retire (in 2000),Sure there are a lot of better things that could be happening here (locals driving, more correct laws,certain Thai attitudes, cleaner areas and beaches) but I take what I can get  and see the other side of living here,(good and inexpensive food,cheap housing,low cost medical,the beautiful land with mountains,beaches,farm lands,jungles,historical sites and cities,etc) plus some of the most friendliest people in the world.Thank You THAILAND FOR LETTING ME STAY HERE. DJ

2 hours ago, newnative said:

On the downside small pavements and no parks.

I agree with everything but taxes. I certainly pay more than in the US now, I believe I am in the 35% range for Thai income tax with no way to take deductions...

Beautiful ocean?? Do you mean the sea? You obviously never go for a swim in Pattaya.

Edited by possum1931

16 hours ago, Twmsioncati said:

Agree drive all moaners off ..shame didnt hv section just for them ...always say dont like it ..go home .....guess i get hit by moaners now ..love thailand ...and nice to get posotive comments ...go pattaya :) 

I agree with driving all the moaners off, but that would be the ones who have nothing positive to say about Thailand.

But it would be boring if no one ever had a moan about something, I like to hear all opinions both positive and negative, but I will say there are far more positives here in Thailand than negatives. :smile:

9 hours ago, champers said:

You can get a hot woman/man/ladyboy any time, night or day

I,ll take your word for it champers........when I need some "relief" I visit the local temple :cheesy:

LOS is what you make of it,for better or worse :thumbsup:

17 minutes ago, steven100 said:

hi possum, yep ... at my 7-11 every morning for my beer.  Now getting half cut ...  I've had 3 bottles already ... but i'm not as young as i use to be.:burp:

I still don't believe you drink as much as you say, but just for a laugh, I am going to check the times of your posts, and if it is late afternoon onwards, and your still post sense, then I will know you are not really a drunk, I found that out when I first came to Thailand, I had two friends who I always tried to avoid late in the day, they are now both dead mainly through drink.:drunk:

Edited by possum1931

5 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Good to hear you thrive here.

Yes most of us comes from generally cold countries compared to here and I prefer hot over cold any day of the week, back home you only go to restaurants 1 or 2 times per month, here we go everyday.

Foot .massage for 100 Baht too.....don' t forget to mention that

+"Plumbers, electricians, auto mechanics, carpenters, artists, seamstresses, furniture makers, and the like all available...."

Plenty of those about!  Try asking for their professional qualifications.

The OP seems to be living the tourist lifestyle; burger at 3am, cheap movies, plenty of nightlife.  If that floats his boat, good luck to him.  But we're not all like that.  I have a good life here, and don't need all that on an every day basis.  I can do what I want to do, any time I want to do it, but I prefer to keep my feet on the ground; too much of a good thing can have a detremental effect on one's health.  Walk down Soi Boikaew at about 9/10am, and count how many foreigners are sitting at a bar with a beer.  They aren't all tourists!

6 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

To be fair, many of the whiners and moaners are young(ish) guys and many of the old moaners developed the "skill" of blaming everyone else for their sordid lives back when they were young. 

4 hours ago, sanukjim said:

I first came here 56 years ago with the US Marine Corps (4 months)and started returning here in the early 1970s to live and work in the area for 10 years.I always knew where I was planing to retire (in 2000),Sure there are a lot of better things that could be happening here (locals driving, more correct laws,certain Thai attitudes, cleaner areas and beaches) but I take what I can get  and see the other side of living here,(good and inexpensive food,cheap housing,low cost medical,the beautiful land with mountains,beaches,farm lands,jungles,historical sites and cities,etc) plus some of the most friendliest people in the world.Thank You THAILAND FOR LETTING ME STAY HERE. DJ

Good for you positive attitude not a sad depressed loser "it use to be blah blah".  Thanks for your service and glad you still appreciate like some of us the great things this place is and has to offer.

6 hours ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

Don't you spend most of your 'life' on here?

Yeah --- Totally agree with your question.

Can't help wondering about the posters who "live" here,  yet have thousands & thousand  upon thousands of posts.

How can they they opine when it's obvious they never leave the condo?