Wi-fi Options At Airport?

jreinho

I used to use Wlan at Don Muang. Is there something similar at the new airport? Where do theys sell the access cards please?

I've heard there are some. Could be at the departure around 'U', 'V' there's a post office and an internet shop. But I've also heard that wifi 500/hour.

If you are looking for it on the cheap.....

...consider sitting in the corridor area around zone D where it leads off to zone C, this is just below the Thai Air Royal Silk and First Class lounges, with free wireless access.

Although sitting in the lounge is somewhat more comfy particularly if a cute Thai women is bringing food and fresh vodka and oranges.

• 3 months later...
If you are looking for it on the cheap.....

...consider sitting in the corridor area around zone D where it leads off to zone C, this is just below the Thai Air Royal Silk and First Class lounges, with free wireless access.

Although sitting in the lounge is somewhat more comfy particularly if a cute Thai women is bringing food and fresh vodka and oranges.

Hi Cuban

Free Wifi can be obtained outside Starbucks. I can pick up a choice of Two providers there, but no cuties bringing booze n grub :o

I have recently been able to get a free wifi connection from departure lounges in both domestic and international. I think the SSID was 'AOT'. Earlier on, I was only able to connect to providers that charged for access. Anyone else had any luck?

the AOT wireless connection is free and works fairly well despite having a problem with VPN's

if you have a 12-call Sim card

you can connect to the AIS Hotspot and SMS for your free password as well

as for other airports, sitting outside 1st class lounges usually does the trick if you need a signal

One week ago whilst sitting in the Airasia check-in area @ 6am I switched on my laptop and was able to connect to the AOT network. NO username or password required. 54Mbps, Although there seemed to be a block on Limewire and other sites taking up bandwidth.

Could you please explain exactly step by step how to do that?

Simply dial *8182 and follow the instructions to select the package.

For monthly package, please contact AIS CALL CENTER 1175.

For international travelers, dial *186.

from HERE

List of hot spots HERE

totster :o

One week ago whilst sitting in the Airasia check-in area @ 6am I switched on my laptop and was able to connect to the AOT network. NO username or password required. 54Mbps, Although there seemed to be a block on Limewire and other sites taking up bandwidth.

AOT seems to be free now [typing this on the aot connection].

The only problem is that they seem to be blocking VPN. Why, I have no idea - VPN is crucial for business. But, ok, no complaints, it's free after all.

Going to go over to sit outside the silk class lounge now, they gotta allow VPN there... I am @ royal silk lounge, network is called truewifi and allows VPN. No passcode needed. Heck of a lot faster than AOT, too.

Edited by nikster

Could you please explain exactly step by step how to do that?

Simply dial *8182 and follow the instructions to select the package.

For monthly package, please contact AIS CALL CENTER 1175.

For international travelers, dial *186.

from HERE

List of hot spots HERE

totster :o

We were talking free here, right? There's no such thing as a free lunch [or anything else] from AIS that I'd know of... But if you're going to pay anything, and if you're in need of a connection of sorts outside your usual connected places, AIS has a little-known goodie named SIM.NET. It's just another 1-2-Call SIM card, but with a wickedly nice feature: it comes with x hours of EDGE connectivity (= better than GPRS, lousier than WiFi). Your notebook will need a PC card to hold the SIM card (mine's from Sierra Wireless, not exactly cheap), or a Motorola phone with USB connection & a piece of software to make it "a modem".

The SIM card starter kit is THB 250, and you get some online hours free. It needs charged (normal 1-2-Call refill) and activated (put it into a mobile and call 900120). After that, dial *138 and choose your options. I'm paying THB 350 for 100 hours (no, not minutes, HOURS) of reasonable connectivity anywhere a mobile works. In Bangkok and Pattaya/Jomtien, I get EDGE. In the countryside, you'll have to live with GPRS (= a crawl, but enough to handle email).

Forget horrendous minute-fees at airports, hotels, Star*ucks et.al. -- if you're using it often enough, the THB 6,000 for the PCMCIA card (latest price I heard) pays for itself. And you can sit slap bang in the middle of Lumpini park and be online ;-)

Just a quick update. There are several unsecured wireless networks operating in the airport. I tried connecting to the AIS hotspot but the network was slow to respond. The AOT network works just fine and is free. Good signal at the check in counters for intl departures. So suspect it is fine everywhere in the airport.

got PCMCIA 1-2-call package&modem (it is 5900 baht), have been using it whilst in Pattaya. Connection speed sukkks though. If there is no other choice and someone does not have 2 download something....it is, errrm acceptable. Not more not less than that.

I'd rather try to get connected with those above mentioned free-of-charge WiFi-spots....

BUT: my laptop battery is on a near-to-die-status......working for not more than 30 mins.

IS THERE ANY PLACE WITH WIFI (FREE) A N D ELECTRIC PLUGS ???

Thanks 4 infos (going Suv airport this saturday)

I noticed a guy plugged in at the far end of the check in counters, where it says Thai Domestic (but closed obviously). Security didn't seem to care that he was plugged in to the wall. But, there are no seats there so you'll have to sit on the floor. Also, need to add, I didn't need a password or anything to access the AOT wifi.

Just thought I would update this thread a little,I am now at the airport and have tried to get wifi in different location throughout the airport and have had no problems.Now I am using true wifi which is good speed wise.

regrsd Ercorn

Just thought I would update this thread a little,I am now at the airport and have tried to get wifi in different location throughout the airport and have had no problems.Now I am using true wifi which is good speed wise.

regrsd Ercorn

Is True free?

The whole fun of Wifi is if it's free. When I was there, I found few free connections. The best was near the Muslim prayer room. I think it was called Limosine C3 or something. Fast and free.

• 1 month later...

I imagine you could sit just outside the Royal Silk Lounge just after immigration, turn around and go down the escalator. I don't think there are any chairs there, but the signal had no network key last time I was in the lounge. I'll check again this week when I fly and report back for all you folks needing to hijack a signal!

I imagine you could sit just outside the Royal Silk Lounge just after immigration, turn around and go down the escalator. I don't think there are any chairs there, but the signal had no network key last time I was in the lounge. I'll check again this week when I fly and report back for all you folks needing to hijack a signal!

For those departing on Thai, I'm now in the Thai Royal Lounge awaiting an international flight. The wifi signal in the lounge is unlocked, and is True. You can't stand outside the club because the escalator goes directly down to the club. However, just outside the lounge are the gates D2, and D3. I imagine it should be easy to jack the signal from there, for anyone departing from concourse D.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

The AOT WiFi is still working fine as of now (I'm using it right now), free with the username and password detailed earlier in this thread (or PM me). Coverage seems pretty well all over. :o

Are there any wifi restaurants where I could plug in my electric? Thanks.

For power outlet, it seems every other round pillar has power outlet available.

So if you are lucky to find the bench next to those power outlet equiped pillar, you can charge it.

For WiFi network, so far I used "aotwifi" and "limousine B".

If it works, "limousine B" is great.

But sometimes it caused some problem with DNS, so I can not use Internet with hostnames.

If it works, it works fine with other protocols.

For "aotwifi", it is working well, but AOT may lock down the configuration for WiFi AP, or don't know to turn on the additional feature, so most of things except web browsing is not working.

Only web surfing is working so far.

Somebody complaint VPN is not working from aotwifi, but it turned out that even telnet/ssh session is not working.

According to "aotwifi" access webpage, it said "WIFI for $19.99/monthly". so they may think to provide WIFI as another product sometime in the future.

By the way, if somebody coming from USA with roaming from Verizon Wireless, VZW has strange roaming agreement with Thailand, too.

Voice roaming use CDMA network, but Data roaming use AIS GSM network.

So if you have Blackberry 8830 with global email plan, you can not make the call and access data network at the same time.

You may have to switch between CDMA and GSM to choose the service you want to use.

Edited by moonhunt

• 5 months later...

Gunna have fun, I usually stay over, when arriving late at Swampy.

I get 1st bus in morning.......LOL..... Victory, 35 Baht, Asoke/Sukhumvit BTS and MTB rail connection, 32 Baht.

Never in a hurry, my hobby staying over at airports.

Always have a feed straight after arriving.

Is there a hotspot near "Magic Food Point"? Guess I may have to find itt myself if there is.

Just a cheapskate, but this will be my 1st trip with a WiFi laptop.

Thanks guys and gals.