Guns, cars and B2mn cash seized in Phuket gambling raid

webfact

Guns, cars and B2mn cash seized in Phuket gambling raid

Eakkapop Thongtub

1496030032_1-org.jpg

At least 62 suspects were arrested in the Army-led raid on the gambling den north of Phuket Town on Saturday (May 27). Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- More than 30 officers and armed soldiers arrested at least 62 suspects and seized 56 cars and motorbikes – as well as several firearms and nearly B2 million in cash – in a raid on a gambling den north of Phuket Town on Saturday afternoon (May 27).

The raid on the house, in Soi Tha Jeen off Rassada-anusorn Rd in Rassada, began after 4pm. The house sits on a two-rai plot fenced off with a three-metre high wall, with a steel-plate front gate and a CCTV camera.

On entering the property, officers arrested 34 men and 28 women engaged in gambling while playing the “Turtle, Crab, Fish” game of chance.

Officers also seized B1,955,086 in cash, 22 cars and 34 motorbikes, one shotgun and four handguns, 12 rounds of .380 bullets, 12 rounds of .45 bullets, and 233 gambling chips.

All suspects were taken to Phuket City Police Station for further questioning and to be charged.

After the raid, Col Kriangkrai Srirak, commander of the Special Task Force of the 25th Infantry Regiment, which is based in Phuket, told the press that the raid was ordered by Lt Gen Piyawat Nakwanit after officers received a tip-off.

Full story:  http://www.thephuketnews.com/guns-cars-and-b2mn-cash-seized-in-phuket-gambling-raid-62342.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-05-29

"Also, none of the cash seized in the raid was presented to the press." I very much doubt it ever will be either.
I am also wondering why everyone's bikes and cars were seized? 1.955 Million Baht probably not enough for the nice officers I guess.