Australian man injured after shark jumps into boat

webfact

Australian man injured after shark jumps into boat

An Australian fisherman has described how a 200kg (440lb) great white shark leapt into his boat, knocking him over and lacerating his arm.

Terry Selwood, 73, had dropped a line at his "usual spot" at Evans Head in New South Wales when the animal launched itself out of the water.

He said the 2.7m (8.8ft) shark landed in the boat, which measured about 5m, and grazed him with its pectoral fin.

Full story:  http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-40080974

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2017-05-29

His comment to the press"

But really, it's not a great story, it's just a mundane thing that just happened and it's over and done with, but something that I'll remember."

"But we're all well and now I'll just get on with life and repair the damage he made to my boat."

from Here: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-28/great-white-shark-jumps-into-fishermans-boat-at-evans-head/8567166

The world should be very concerned why small fish in the oceans are dying worldwide and why shark deaths and bites are accelerating; some just feet from shore.

When the sharks start jumping into boats for food that is the canary in the mine hitting the ground!

2 hours ago, Kabula said:

The world should be very concerned why small fish in the oceans are dying worldwide and why shark deaths and bites are accelerating; some just feet from shore.

When the sharks start jumping into boats for food that is the canary in the mine hitting the ground!

How do you know the shark jumped into the boat for food?

Strange incident indeed, certainly out of character from what we know about white sharks, that typically wind up airborne as a natural result of attacking prey from below at high speed.

This appears to be an anomaly, not a trend or indication of anything except, perhaps, confirmation bias on your part.  And that's not me disagreeing with your underlying assertion either.

Presumably the fisherman was bringing the caught fish back into his boat - and the shark jumped up after the caught fish?

Sad to hear that the shark was unable to jump back out of the boat, and so died.  And before anyone accuses me of being heartless about the fisherman - he wasn't badly hurt, although clearly frightened and needing of a change in underwear!

47 minutes ago, transam said:

I did have some scary moments with big conger eels in my boat, but they didn't jump in, but when they are in they don't lay around....:shock1:

Why on earth would you bring a conger eel into your boat :shock1:?

Edit - Actually, don't answer that, as I've just remembered staying with my grandparents for a few days as a young child and being fascinated by the live eels brought back 'home' from the market.  Until my grandmother cut their heads off and thought I would be fascinated by the way they still wriggled in the salt water :sick:.

Edit 2 - There really are some memories best forgotten....

Edited by dick dasterdly

6 hours ago, CaptHaddock said:

In the version I read, the man had just got a bite on one of his lines and then the shark launched himself into the boat.  But it wasn't clear whether he had hooked the shark.  Anyone know?

When I was young, my Dad would say to me "Don't jerk the line so hard, son, it could be a 200kg shark and you'll pull it right into the boat!"

Jaws' agent failed to get him a spot on the latest series of 'After they were Famous.' So in a last

desperate act to relaunch it's career; tried to have a selfie with a local fisherman go viral!!! RIP Jaws.

Gone, but immortalized on celluloid; and a 5 meter boat...forever!