Can immigration stop me flying?

Hello.

I have just been told something by my travel agent that I have not heard of before in England. I was about to book my flight today for the duration between early December and mid March 2018. The agent asked me if I would have a visa and I said no as I would be flying to PP before my 30 days was up. She then asked me if I had already booked my PP flight as I would need to show this proof in Manchester airport (or a valid visa) or they may not even let me fly out of Manchester?? I have not heard this before but earlier this year this happened to a friend of mine who was travelling Utupao to Perth (Aus) via KL. They did not let him on as he didnt have his visa, but my argument for him when he returned is that he had a 6 or 7 hour layover in KL and could quite easily have got it online at KL in that layover period, but, alas, they said no.

Has anyone travelling to Thailand had this problem when travelling from anywhere in the UK? Or know anyone it has happened to? Thanks

Nothing much to do with immigration but yes, the airline can refuse to board you, as they will be liable for your return if you get refused.

Easy solutions: 

- Get a tourist visa

- Book a flight out. Get one you can change / cancel easily so you can modify your plans while here.

7 minutes ago, Jdietz said:

Nothing much to do with immigration but yes, the airline can refuse to board you, as they will be liable for your return if you get refused.

Easy solutions: 

- Get a tourist visa

- Book a flight out. Get one you can change / cancel easily so you can modify your plans while here.

Thanks for your time.

I would probably choose the visa option as not sure on my flight date to PP but no rush, I was wandering more if anyone had actually experienced this happening

• Like 1

Yes, these things have been common the past so-many years.  The way a lot of us have dealt with it is to buy a cheap flight out of Thailand (like with Air Asia), either to PP or anywhere else, for that matter.  If you don't use it then just throw it away.  Consider the wasted money part of the cost of the long-haul ticket.

This is not just with Thailand, ask around and you'll hear about it.  The airlines are strict about it because if you land there and Imm. sends you back they not only have to carry your ass back home, but they have to pay a fine and the the crew gets  a lot of excrement for it.

Been a few years since I flew with AA, took many flights with them and was never asked about an "onward ticket."  But things may have changed, maybe someone else will speak about this.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Yes, these things have been common the past so-many years.  The way a lot of us have dealt with it is to buy a cheap flight out of Thailand (like with Air Asia), either to PP or anywhere else, for that matter.  If you don't use it then just throw it away.  Consider the wasted money part of the cost of the long-haul ticket.

This is not just with Thailand, ask around and you'll hear about it.  The airlines are strict about it because if you land there and Imm. sends you back they not only have to carry your ass back home, but they have to pay a fine and the the crew gets  a lot of excrement for it.

Been a few years since I flew with AA, took many flights with them and was never asked about an "onward ticket."  But things may have changed, maybe someone else will speak about this.

Thanks for your time also.

I would actually be using the flight as I want to venture out more so I guess I am "playing the game legally" by how I am trying to do it but I would hate to buy a LH flight only to be stopped at my departure. My friend thinks its heighly unlikely (99%) that I would be stopped as he has done this forever. I myself have been a regular traveller to Thailand over the last 4 years but over the last 12 months I have on travelled for 30 days at a time so no visas or onward flights required, I wandered if by what she said that immigration may have toughened up over the last 12 months without me knowing as I only travelled on visa exempts :)

Try travelvisabookings.com Get a cheap booking reservation (around $16.00 booking fee) to a forward destiny on a different airline. One way out of Thailand such as Bankok to Laos. We got a cheap non-refundable booking reservation with no cancelation fee and booking cancels if you do not pay for the ticket. Was good for a Schengen VISA requirement. Should not matter to airline if you use a different airline out of Thailand as long as you have a forwarding destination. Just checked, the website is still active.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have been often asked about my return ticket or ticket out of TH when checking in at LHR and FRA/MUC airports. The one time I didnt´have one a supervisor got involved and I had to sign an indemnity form in case TH immigration would refuse me entry. 

• Like 1

Yes, airline compagnies  are checking . Any ticket over a month valid, or anyone without a visa .Last winter Emirates wouldn't let me check in online , when I asked why at the airport, they said they had to check I had a visa. Get a visa, easier. 

13 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:

Thanks for your time.

I would probably choose the visa option as not sure on my flight date to PP but no rush, I was wandering more if anyone had actually experienced this happening

You didn't say if you were returning home from Thailand but if you are, and are taking a PP excursion as well and taking into consideration your timeline, a SETV may not be the best choice for you.  Take into account how many entries you will make into Thailand and via what type of travel (land/air) and make the right visa choice for you.  Know in advance what extensions or re-entry permits you may need.  Spare yourself last minute head aches.

And get your Cambodia visa online in advance to spare the long line at entry.

https://www.evisa.gov.kh/

11 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

You should've pulled out your Mastercard and said "no, sorry. There are some things money can't buy, for everything else there's Mastercard" :post-4641-1156694572:

Reminds me but I've forgotten the jokes about  " American Express " . :biggrin:

• Like 1

To enter Thailand on a Visa Exempt Stamp on Arrival you will need:

1) Return or onward Flight Ticket (this is commonly requested by the Airline upon check in)

2) Proof of funds equivalent to 20,000 baht (this is not commonly asked for)

OR

1) Visa (i.e. Tourist Visa)

If you have a Tourist Visa you will not need to show proof of return or onward flight.

If you have a one way ticket, it is become more common that the Airline Check In requests your proof of either a return flight, an award flight or a Visa. 

The Airline Can refuse travel if you cannot show this proof of return or onward flight, or a Visa. 

These are immigration requirements, however, the Airline can be held responsible for returning a passenger to his point of origin if he is refused entry. 

My funny experience: ( a small airport in Ky in the US - same airline from Ky to Th ) a one way ticket to Th bought online - starting on a commuter hop to Chicago, at check in - passport given to ticket agent, " sorry sir, we can not board you, you do not have a visa for Th ", ME: I don't need a visa, I have a 13 month 'permission to stay' stamp in my passport, " Sorry sir, you need a visa  for Th for us to board you" ME - I have a domestic ticket to Chicago, I want to see the Station Mgr,..enter Station Mgr, story explained by the desk clerk an me..ME - flag me on the computer and let Chicago sort it out. "Sir if you are not boarded in Chicago, you will have to pay for your return to this airport.

Chicago: flagged on computer at check in, enter a supervisor, " May I see your passport sir?"

5 minute's later, upgraded to 1st class for my experienced trouble ( Chicago to Japan only - the long hall part of trip ) Supervisor: " I'll make sure your luggage is on your flight sir, sorry for the problem sir, thank you for flying with us"

Passport stamps: """"" retirement visa - valid for 13 months""""", multiple (re)entry permit - valid for 13 months

Ahhhh love small airports!!

Edited by edwardflory
spelling correction
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ThaiWai said:

You didn't say if you were returning home from Thailand but if you are, and are taking a PP excursion as well and taking into consideration your timeline, a SETV may not be the best choice for you.  Take into account how many entries you will make into Thailand and via what type of travel (land/air) and make the right visa choice for you.  Know in advance what extensions or re-entry permits you may need.  Spare yourself last minute head aches.

And get your Cambodia visa online in advance to spare the long line at entry.

https://www.evisa.gov.kh/

Thanks. Yeah in my OP I did say the duration of my trip was from early December to mid March, so knowing that, does this alter anything?

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

To enter Thailand on a Visa Exempt Stamp on Arrival you will need:

1) Return or onward Flight Ticket (this is commonly requested by the Airline upon check in)

2) Proof of funds equivalent to 20,000 baht (this is not commonly asked for)

OR

1) Visa (i.e. Tourist Visa)

If you have a Tourist Visa you will not need to show proof of return or onward flight.

If you have a one way ticket, it is become more common that the Airline Check In requests your proof of either a return flight, an award flight or a Visa. 

The Airline Can refuse travel if you cannot show this proof of return or onward flight, or a Visa. 

These are immigration requirements, however, the Airline can be held responsible for returning a passenger to his point of origin if he is refused entry. 

I would be buying a return flight from Manchester to Bangkok and back to Manchester but seeing as my duration is over 3 months, I just expected to spend up to 30 days in Thailand (visa exempt) then a couple of weeks in PP and down to HCMC (with visas of course) and back to Thailand on the 30 day exempt again, just like it has been for ever lol. But the agent told me that because I dont have a visa to cover me, or an onward flight within the 30 days, in effect they might not trust me to leave before the 30 days is up and refuse me to board in Manchester because of this? It just seemed a little bit autocratic to what I expected or what Im used to

She also said that VN had stopped the visa free entries now, so thats a bummer too

If you are a national of a G7 country you will be allowed to enter Thailand on a visa exempt 30 day entry. 

Unser the new rules however you will be limited to 2 of these  in one year.

Each one of these can be extended by another 30 days by paying a 1900 baht fee at your local immigration.

for some people this s not enough.

You can try for a tourist visa which will give you a 60 day stamp on entry, and also may be extended by another 30 days stay for the same 1900 baht fee at immigration.

Some, if not all, Thai consulates are o requiring you purchase an exit ticket out of Thailand before they will issue a 60 day tourist visa.

This is not a "return air ticket", it may be a simple low cost exit ticket out of Thailand.

An example of a Thai consulate that requires you to show a "exit out of Thailand ticket" is the Thai consulate in Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam. They will want to see such a ticket before they issue you a 60 day tourist visa.

Other Thai consulates in South East Asia are adopting the same practice.

12 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

I would be buying a return flight from Manchester to Bangkok and back to Manchester but seeing as my duration is over 3 months, I just expected to spend up to 30 days in Thailand (visa exempt) then a couple of weeks in PP and down to HCMC (with visas of course) and back to Thailand on the 30 day exempt again, just like it has been for ever lol. But the agent told me that because I dont have a visa to cover me, or an onward flight within the 30 days, in effect they might not trust me to leave before the 30 days is up and refuse me to board in Manchester because of this? It just seemed a little bit autocratic to what I expected or what Im used to

She also said that VN had stopped the visa free entries now, so thats a bummer too

Well, you are definitely doing the right thing and getting ahead of the game and finding out information. 

You are well suited to the Multiple Entry Tourist Visa. 

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/types-of-visa#section2

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Well, you are definitely doing the right thing and getting ahead of the game and finding out information. 

You are well suited to the Multiple Entry Tourist Visa. 

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/types-of-visa#section2

Yeah I know from my previous trips what is required but this woman was scaremongering me into thinking I would not be allowed to leave Manchester if I didnt buy a visa or have a flight booked out of Thailand within 30 days, to show them when I check in. I will have a return flight so I dont see the problem although I dont want to be flippant and have this happen to me.

The METV is something I would not be entertaining as it offers far more than I need, a SETV for 60 days might help but if I dont need one Im not going to the trouble of getting one

There is no Yes or No answer to my thread, I wanted to know people's opinions on how likely it is that I would not be allowed to leave Manchester if I didnt have a visa or outbound flight booked from Thailand, even though I would have a return flight booked back to Manchester

5 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

There is no Yes or No answer to my thread, I wanted to know people's opinions on how likely it is that I would not be allowed to leave Manchester if I didnt have a visa or outbound flight booked from Thailand, even though I would have a return flight booked back to Manchester

This is not a "yes" or "no" answer either. If you are of a nervous disposition, get either a single entry tourist visa or an onward flight out of Thailand within 30 days (which, as others have stated, can be a throwaway ticket). If you just turn up at the airport the odds will be in your favor, but you are taking a risk. These days, it is likely check in will look for a visa, though they may not. If they do, you will end up talking to the airline supervisor. Point out that you travel to Thailand frequently without a visa, and know for sure Thailand immigration will not give you any problems. If you look affluent, the supervisor will usually allow you to check in, possibly after insisting you sign an indemnity form, protecting the airline against financial losses should you be denied entry.

Notes:

1. The airline is more likely to check you in if you have a return flight booked, even if it is more than 30 days in the future. No guarantees, though.
  2. If you do decide to go to the airport without visa or onward ticket, go early, and research in advance which cheap throwaway ticket you will book online as a last resort if you cannot talk the supervisor into checking you in.

10 minutes ago, BritTim said:

This is not a "yes" or "no" answer either. If you are of a nervous disposition, get either a single entry tourist visa or an onward flight out of Thailand within 30 days (which, as others have stated, can be a throwaway ticket). If you just turn up at the airport the odds will be in your favor, but you are taking a risk. These days, it is likely check in will look for a visa, though they may not. If they do, you will end up talking to the airline supervisor. Point out that you travel to Thailand frequently without a visa, and know for sure Thailand immigration will not give you any problems. If you look affluent, the supervisor will usually allow you to check in, possibly after insisting you sign an indemnity form, protecting the airline against financial losses should you be denied entry.

Notes:

1. The airline is more likely to check you in if you have a return flight booked, even if it is more than 30 days in the future. No guarantees, though.
  2. If you do decide to go to the airport without visa or onward ticket, go early, and research in advance which cheap throwaway ticket you will book online as a last resort if you cannot talk the supervisor into checking you in.

I think I will just go on the normal return flights I have done before as I do not intend to spend 30+ days in thailand in one go. If I do stay longer than 30 I can just extend for 1900bt

3 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

I think I will just go on the normal return flights I have done before as I do not intend to spend 30+ days in thailand in one go. If I do stay longer than 30 I can just extend for 1900bt

Up to you. Good luck at the airport. I have risked it myself quite a bit in the past. I do suggest you follow my advice of researching a cheap throwaway ticket to buy online from the airport if the worst comes to the worst.

• Like 2

i came out from the UK last year with a return ticket, still here

didn't use the return ticket back to the UK, so just another no show

but the price was cheaper for a return ticket than a single one way, so was better than buying single ticket and then a onward cheap ticket

55 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

Yeah I know from my previous trips what is required but this woman was scaremongering me into thinking I would not be allowed to leave Manchester if I didnt buy a visa or have a flight booked out of Thailand within 30 days, to show them when I check in. I will have a return flight so I dont see the problem although I dont want to be flippant and have this happen to me.

The METV is something I would not be entertaining as it offers far more than I need, a SETV for 60 days might help but if I dont need one Im not going to the trouble of getting one

If you want to chance it, you are simply taking a chance. No one can accurately inform you that your chance will pay off or not. 

IF the regulations are consistently enforced and followed by Airport Check In and the Immigration Police you would have no choice but to either purchase a Single, or Multiple Entry Visa or an Onward Ticket within one month. 

There is your Yes and No answer - YES

If all regulations are followed by Airport Check in Staff and Immigration and IF traveling without a Visa and you do not have an onward Ticket within 30 days your travel will be rejected by Airline Check In staff\ and your entrance into Thailand will be rejected by Immigration Police. 

The Single Entry Visa is valid for 60 days, costs £25 (Multiple Entry £125).

IF you plan on entering for <60 days, then traveling elsewhere and returning to Thailand within 30 days of your expected departure from Thailand (as printed on your return Ticket) you will be fine with an SE Visa - its the common sense solution.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

If you want to chance it, you are simply taking a chance. No one can accurately inform you that your chance will pay off or not. 

IF the regulations are consistently enforced and followed by Airport Check In and the Immigration Police you would have no choice but to either purchase a Single, or Multiple Entry Visa or an Onward Ticket within one month. 

There is your Yes and No answer - YES

If all regulations are followed by Airport Check in Staff and Immigration and IF traveling without a Visa and you do not have an onward Ticket within 30 days your travel will be rejected by Airline Check In staff\ and your entrance into Thailand will be rejected by Immigration Police. 

The Single Entry Visa is valid for 60 days, costs £25 (Multiple Entry £125).

IF you plan on entering for <60 days, then traveling elsewhere and returning to Thailand within 30 days of your expected departure from Thailand (as printed on your return Ticket) you will be fine with an SE Visa - its the common sense solution.

Yeah sure - my flight will be booked for 6th Dec so I have 6 months to decide what I will do. I simply wasnt aware that this was a common occurrence