Can immigration stop me flying?

22 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

i came out from the UK last year with a return ticket, still here

didn't use the return ticket back to the UK, so just another no show

but the price was cheaper for a return ticket than a single one way, so was better than buying single ticket and then a onward cheap ticket

Was your return open or did it have a specific date booked for return back to UK?

If it was more than 30 days did you have any questions about visas or onward flights?

5 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

Yeah sure - my flight will be booked for 6th Dec so I have 6 months to decide what I will do. I simply wasnt aware that this was a common occurrence 

In Singapore and Manchester my Passport is checked for my Thai Visa pretty much each and every time I check in for a (return) flight back to Bangkok (flights originating in Bangkok). 

In other cities including Abu Dhabi, Jakarta, Tokyo my passport has not been checked for Visas. 

I have no idea what would happen if I did not have a visa (or a return flight) as I have always ensured I'm am not in a situation I could find myself falling short. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Up to you. Good luck at the airport. I have risked it myself quite a bit in the past. I do suggest you follow my advice of researching a cheap throwaway ticket to buy online from the airport if the worst comes to the worst.

I think if it becomes a worry over the next 5 months I will simply book a "real" flight for my trip to PP and use it rather than just buy a throw away ticket. I will need to exit before 30 days is up anyway if I dont use a Tourist visa

Was your return open or did it have a specific date booked for return back to UK?

If it was more than 30 days did you have any questions about visas or onward flights?

my return date was fixed, about 27 days from entry to make sure i had no problems with the immigration

then went and changed my 30 tourist to a 90 day one, then finally to a 1 year one

but had heard about refusal for no return flights.

had a problem early last year when the return flight was about 40 days, took some explaining that i was going to Vietnam for a couple of weeks , but had not arranged the flights  but was told OK, but had to leave before 30 days or else

Edited by Joinaman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, edwardflory said:

Passport stamps: """"" retirement visa - valid for 13 months""""", multiple (re)entry permit - valid for 13 months

Presumably an extension of stay based on retirement, not a "retirement visa."

I flew out from LHR on EVA in early April with my return flight booked with them booked for end of May. They asked me about my visa arrangements during check in - I pointed them to the SETV they had obviously missed when checking my passport. When I did a 7 week trip to Thailand at the end of last year I used the visa exempt approach with a visa run by air to KL. Wasn't asked by EVA about my arrangements at all that time So two occasions, two different approaches.

On this trip, I went to Vietnam for a long weekend with my gf on Bangkok Airways. When checking for return to BKK, was quizzed about my visa and onward travel arrangements. I told them I was leaving BKK to return to UK before the 30 days was up (since the SETV I had was no longer valid as I didn't get a re-entry permit when leaving BKK) and had a flight booked. They asked for proof but I didn't have it to hand - they were willing to let it go on that occasion. Another check-in clerk may have been more insistent.

Next trip to Thailand I will get a SETV or have proof of visa run flight to hand as I don't intend to be caught on the hop. 

On a separate subject, I flew back to UK yesterday on EVA. Immigration lines for departures were long enough for me to decide to use one of the fast-track passes I have. Used it without a problem despite it not being filled in (intentionally since I only want to use one if the regular lines are bad - on my recent visit they were fine).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, geisha said:

Yes, airline compagnies  are checking . Any ticket over a month valid, or anyone without a visa .Last winter Emirates wouldn't let me check in online , when I asked why at the airport, they said they had to check I had a visa. Get a visa, easier. 

Any ticket over a month valid? Many times I have flown to Thailand in the past, about 1/2 the time I don't schedule the return but have an open ended return ticket. Sometimes I stay an extra month, sometimes I had to return home for work.  I have never had a tourist visa. Always just got the visa exemption on arrival, did a border run for an extra 30 days if I stayed longer.  Boy, I hop the USA airlines don't get picky about such a thing.  I would think a paid for, open ended return ticket would be all one needs, but I can understand the immigration angle.  Thanks for the heads up

1 hour ago, Joinaman said:

my return date was fixed, about 27 days from entry to make sure i had no problems with the immigration

then went and changed my 30 tourist to a 90 day one, then finally to a 1 year one

but had heard about refusal for no return flights.

had a problem early last year when the return flight was about 40 days, took some explaining that i was going to Vietnam for a couple of weeks , but had not arranged the flights  but was told OK, but had to leave before 30 days or else

Yes that is exactly what I expected to happen and is what has happened before, I just explain that i will be leaving before the 30 days is up, no drama, but this agent made it sound like the whole rules had changed which made me check on here. I also was not aware that the VN visa was being withdrawn as a freebie

I had my shortest international visit last year when I flew to Myanmar from Thailand, not even thinking about needing a visa. I have a US passport. When I got to immigration in Myanmar with no visa, they directed me back to the plane I had just left, and I took the return trip to Bangkok. I realized at that point that the airline should have checked for a visa before giving me a boarding pass. And of course, I should have checked on visa requirements. It seemed that both I and the airline had egg on our face.

When I asked about a visa on arrival, the officer told me that I could have gotten one, but it would have had to be arranged in advance, I believe by letter.

5 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:

Thanks. Yeah in my OP I did say the duration of my trip was from early December to mid March, so knowing that, does this alter anything?

Your OP does not say how long your multiple individual stays in Thailand will be.  I would say you are a candidate for a METV to simplify things.

10 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

Your OP does not say how long your multiple individual stays in Thailand will be.  I would say you are a candidate for a METV to simplify things.

Less than 30 days as I am hoping to stay visa exempt, but the issue is not what sort of visa to purchase, or not, as the case may be. The issue is has anyone experienced being stopped from departing due to not having proof onward travel, or a visa, not what visa I need for a 3 month stay (which is not relevant because I wont be staying for 3 months solid otherwise I would simply but a TV for 60 days then extend at immigration for 30 days)

My last trip I had a SETV, I was staying 3 months (would do a 30 day extension in LOS) on departure at Manchester Etihad desk asked about my visa only being 60 day, I explained that a 30 day extension is available in country at Immigration office, they accepted that and I was cleared for flight.

WT you need a SETV which you already know by your responses, or an onward ticket - thats the choice to save any shenanigans... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lokie said:

My last trip I had a SETV, I was staying 3 months (would do a 30 day extension in LOS) on departure at Manchester Etihad desk asked about my visa only being 60 day, I explained that a 30 day extension is available in country at Immigration office, they accepted that and I was cleared for flight.

WT you need a SETV which you already know by your responses, or an onward ticket - thats the choice to save any shenanigans... 

Yes I think my choice depends on when I want to leave LOS. If it is before 6th Jan (30 days) I might as well book my flight out, but if I think I might stay longer than 6th Jan, then the Tourist Visa would be the option. 

On 30/05/2017 at 1:54 AM, Walter Travolta said:

Thanks for your time.

I would probably choose the visa option as not sure on my flight date to PP but no rush, I was wandering more if anyone had actually experienced this happening

I would say my passport is always checked by the airline when I board in Manchester, they are looking for a visa or something that allows me to stay long-term in Thailand, ie beyond my return booking, or if there isn't one, some type of permission of stay.

Thai immigration is usually 'casual' about it but the rule is you should have a travel booking out of the country prior to your 30 days visa waiver stay expires. The carrier at the UK end fears you will be  refused entry and it will be their responsibility to fly you out of Thailand, and suffer a heavy fine for bringing you.

Get a tourist visa....

The regulations say you must have either a visa OR a return/onward ticket in order to board a flight to Thailand. The return / onward date is not important. Not so long ago, before the era of electronic tickets, you could buy an open date return ticket and no problem boarding. The idea of the return/onward ticket is in case you are refused entry, you have the ticket to leave Thailand. The airline would have to put you on the next available flight and you'd be held at immigration detention till that time. Even if you have a return or onward ticket dated anytime within the 30 days of visa exempt, you might still be refused entry, so the date is not important. Nowadays, most airlines charge penalty fees for changing dates so in case of refused entry you'd probably have to pay this fee.

As for your friend flying to Australia, and the one mentioned flying to VN in one of the replies - there are countries such Aus and VN that do NOT have visa exempt programs, and flying into those countries you must have a visa BEFORE boarding. Although your friend had a long connection time in KL, as far as the airlines concerned, his destination was Perth, and therefore had to have a visa while boarding the first flight. Why didn't apply for the visa online at the airport in BKK??

So going back to the issue of the OP - if you buy a return ticket, even if the return date is for 4 months after arrival, you should't be stopped from boarding.

• Like 1

Check in early.

If you have problems and they are not willing to accept signing a waiver, book a cheap flight online and check in again, this time with onward flight.

10 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:

Less than 30 days as I am hoping to stay visa exempt, but the issue is not what sort of visa to purchase, or not, as the case may be. The issue is has anyone experienced being stopped from departing due to not having proof onward travel, or a visa, not what visa I need for a 3 month stay (which is not relevant because I wont be staying for 3 months solid otherwise I would simply but a TV for 60 days then extend at immigration for 30 days)

The "issue" is resolved by getting a visa.  Why risk your trip on other peoples random sampling of experiences that may or may not be the same as yours?  You don't know who you will encounter at the counter when you check in.  I had an issue with Korea Air when the were not going to let me fly on a re-entry permit during a 30 extension evaluation period.  I had to keep going up the ranks to someone who finally understood.  Or call the airline, get a definitive answer, and stop giving us bits and pieces of information to work with.

To answer the question posed in the thread title, it would require very special circumstances for Immigration to stop you flying out. By definition, Immigration is about the international movement of people INTO a destination country.

The airlines, however, can refuse boarding if they consider the pax may have trouble being admitted by Immigration at the other end. They are responsible for the removal of people refused entry to a country, and they can also be fined. Australia, for instance, fines the airline $10,000 for any unauthorised or undocumented passenger they carry there. It becomes very understandable why they refused boarding to the character who said he would pick up a visa on route to Perth. 

Thailand is very hit and miss on how or when they enforce their own rules on entry. Sometimes they are very strict with requirements, other times anyone can stroll across borders.  You can't blame the airlines for trying to lessen their risk. Of course different Airline managers , or different ports, may enforce rules differently.

Best action for the traveler is to ensure they have all necessary requirements.

• Like 1

Immigration can not stop you flying, but the airline MAY  not allow you to board the aircraft if they see you may not be allowed to enter Thailand.

You are limited to 2 visa exempt entries into Thailand in one year under the latest rules, and if you try to exceed that you MAY be denied entry.

Under IATA (International Air Traffic Agency) regulations  the airline may be responsible for removing you from Thailand  IF you are not allowed entry to Thailand..

That is why the airline may check your visa and travel status first before you board the airplane, if you are not allowed to enter it could cost them money.

To be absolutely sure this won't  happen on of the best ways to protect yourself is to get a Thai Tourist visa from a Thai consulate BEFORE you travel.

Is that clear enough?

I hope I explained it clearly enough.

I think that is what your travel agent was trying to get across to you  in England.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
Added a comment

7 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

... You are limited to 2 visa exempt entries into Thailand in one year under the latest rules, and if you try to exceed that you MAY be denied entry. ...

That rule is only at Land-Borders - not at airports.

That said, I agree with you and others that getting TR Visas is the best solution.  Entering Visa-Exempt by Air is a crapshoot unless you are an infrequent Thai visitor. Even under those exempt-favorable conditions, an ongoing ticket is required by many airlines in order to board your flight to Thailand.

10 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

The regulations say you must have either a visa OR a return/onward ticket in order to board a flight to Thailand. The return / onward date is not important. Not so long ago, before the era of electronic tickets, you could buy an open date return ticket and no problem boarding. The idea of the return/onward ticket is in case you are refused entry, you have the ticket to leave Thailand. The airline would have to put you on the next available flight and you'd be held at immigration detention till that time. Even if you have a return or onward ticket dated anytime within the 30 days of visa exempt, you might still be refused entry, so the date is not important. Nowadays, most airlines charge penalty fees for changing dates so in case of refused entry you'd probably have to pay this fee.

As for your friend flying to Australia, and the one mentioned flying to VN in one of the replies - there are countries such Aus and VN that do NOT have visa exempt programs, and flying into those countries you must have a visa BEFORE boarding. Although your friend had a long connection time in KL, as far as the airlines concerned, his destination was Perth, and therefore had to have a visa while boarding the first flight. Why didn't apply for the visa online at the airport in BKK??

So going back to the issue of the OP - if you buy a return ticket, even if the return date is for 4 months after arrival, you should't be stopped from boarding.

Im not sure what happened between my pal and the travel agent in Thailand about his visa, Im sure I got his 'less embarrassing' turn of events. Just the meat of his tale was what i needed as an example.

7 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Immigration can not stop you flying, but the airline MAY  not allow you to board the aircraft if they see you may not be allowed to enter Thailand.

You are limited to 2 visa exempt entries into Thailand in one year under the latest rules, and if you try to exceed that you MAY be denied entry.

Under IATA (International Air Traffic Agency) regulations  the airline may be responsible for removing you from Thailand  IF you are not allowed entry to Thailand..

That is why the airline may check your visa and travel status first before you board the airplane, if you are not allowed to enter it could cost them money.

To be absolutely sure this won't  happen on of the best ways to protect yourself is to get a Thai Tourist visa from a Thai consulate BEFORE you travel.

Is that clear enough?

I think that is what your travel agent was trying to get across to you  in England.

Sorry my bad. I was saying immigration when I meant the check in person for my airline, my apologies.

I need to figure out when I will be leaving for PP. If it is after 30 days I will need a TV, If it is before the 30 days I will pre book a flight to PP to show them

7 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Is that clear enough?

Edited by Walter Travolta