Video: Motorcyclist survives as bike spliced in two in Chonburi accident

webfact

38 minutes ago, paddyjoe41 said:

I know without doubt,due to 50 plus years driving hgvs the trailer did not have brakes,or if it did the lines were not switched on,thats the reason we see the truck jacknifed,tractor had brakes but was pushed on by the unbraked trailer.Pure neglect and disregard for all other road users,its to be hoped the unfortunate bike rider will survive without serious injury.

From the video, hard to see what cause the driver to take it into the medium maybe like you said, it was brake failure.

As for another response, don't blame the driver?  I seriously doubt here in Thailand, that Maersk, actually retain their own set of drivers here. I would bet heavy that the drivers are contracted out.

Thus, you have a untrained driver who went from driving a motorbike, car now a big rig. Just the fact he was driving on the fast lane for a truck that size would indicated he was self train or by the contractor who most likely have no training either. In the U.S. when testing for a commercial license driving on that particular lane is a automatic fail,. I give him the benefit of the doubt maybe he was on the slow lane and when the brakes fail instead of plowing into shops on his left he decided to take it into the medium?

3 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Slice and spliced are not the same...

splice is a term they use with electrical wiring...

also used in the movie industry but interchangle for the past participle and present perfect tense of cut. 

3 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Slice and spliced are not the same...

splice is a term they use with electrical wiring...

Never heard of Spliced Electric Cables , Yeah Spliced Conveyor Belt due to many layers lol

5 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Na Pa is not a district, it is a sub-district of Meuang Chonburi, for anyone who is interested.

What appalling driving by the truck driver. I suspect he lost control of the trailer due to speeding, not driving to conditions, excessive braking, panicking, poor maintenance. Seriously injuring and endangering others' lives should have ramifications. There will be none for the driver here sadly.

They are too busy thinking of ways to psychologically torture the farang whose girlfriend got run over when he lost control of his motorcycle.  High profile farangs are put into the express-line for criminal charges and jail time.  Reckless Thai drivers get a fine and a pass.  Rich reckless Thai drivers simply ignore the cops and the courts and the charges magically disappear after the statute of limitations conveniently run out.  Welcome to the LOS.  :sleep:

Edited by connda

Careers semi articulated truck across 2 lanes of traffic, through a motorbike and into a pickup truck.
*Casually gets down from cab and strolls across like he's going to buy a coffee*

People act with more urgency trying to beat me in the queue at 7-11

7 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Very lucky (assuming the bike rider will not come out paralyzed).

The video from the source report.

Click the link and extend to full size.

http://clip.tnews.co.th/clip_1496034292_5508.mp4

I you have seen that you would surely assume that the victim is dead.

Link appreciated & served yet again as a frame-by-frame reminder to my kids as to why fatty bangs that particular drum all day every day.

Edited by evadgib

dangerous no matter where you are in thailand. I try to ride my motorbike ONLY on small roads...to and from...pattaya tai and Pattaya klang are about as brave as i want to get. I have been riding bikes (big and small) now for 40 some years and do not feel safe on major roads in thailand.

Really confuses me as to how they define this truck as an 18 wheeler. Along the side left side i count roughly 5 wheels, so you have to double that to count the other side 10 so it would be a 10 wheeler.

For an 18 wheeler it has to have 9 wheels along the one side. 

20 minutes ago, shaurene said:

Really confuses me as to how they define this truck as an 18 wheeler. Along the side left side i count roughly 5 wheels, so you have to double that to count the other side 10 so it would be a 10 wheeler.

For an 18 wheeler it has to have 9 wheels along the one side. 

IMG_6236.PNG

Double wheels at the trailer. 

Edited by Gulfsailor

16 hours ago, DekDaeng said:

Maersk are one of the largest container companies worldwide - nothing to do with truck / driver -

Wrong, obviously not with this this driver.  And like I said most of the Maersk drivers here drive like lunatics.

3 hours ago, bbbbooboo said:

hmmm...... they might mean "sliced in two". "Spliced" means joined together which is the opposite of this.

hmmm...... I think your right. Last time I was making a splice a connection was made and drilled ahead. Sliced is definitely the correct term. I do have a concern though which is that the bike has been tack welded together and is cutting in and out of traffic again and ready to slide under trucks having only used up 1 of its first 9 lives 

On 5/31/2017 at 3:55 AM, Gulfsailor said:

IMG_6236.PNG

Double wheels at the trailer. 

What? seriously! There is only 9 wheels on one side and 9 on the other side. The tractor has 10 and the trailer has 8. 10 + 8 = 18

Let me help you, if 1 1/2 feet of overboard in inch numbers equate to the number of blades on your prop is equal to the number of wheels on the truck, what is that number?