PM denies any vested interest in posing questions to the electorate 

webfact

PM denies any vested interest in posing questions to the electorate 
By Wasamon Audjarint
The Nation

51cdc945a1c6ef12ec4e55bf9fbd96bb.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Tuesday distanced himself from the “Four” questions on the next election he had posed last Friday, saying he himself would have “no involvement” with what unfolds after the junta’s rule ends.

“I don’t expect answers favourable to me,” Prayut wrote in response to reporters’ questions. “I want to encourage the public to learn and think how they can contribute to good governance. 

“This has nothing to do with me because people will make their decisions, with proper consideration when they vote,” he wrote.

Prayut refused to take questions from reporters after the Cabinet meeting on Tuesday. His written responses were distributed by the Government Spokespersons team to reporters via the Line application later on.

On Monday Prayut had vowed to stop giving interviews for a couple of weeks after he being slammed by politicians for the questions he had raised on Friday during his 50-minute-long weekly television programme, “Returning Happiness to the People of the Country”. 

The questions he had posed were:

Do you think the next election will give Thailand a government with good governance? If that is not the case, what will you do?

Elections are an integral part of democracy but are elections without regard for the country’s future right or wrong? Do you think bad politicians should be given the chance to return to politics, and if conflict re-emerges, who will solve it and by what means?

Prayut also encouraged members of the public to submit their answers to the Damrongdhamma Centre’s provincial branches, who would forward the responses to the Interior Ministry.

Politicians and academics accused Prayut of attempting to take political advantage ahead of the election by posting such biased questions, especially during a period when the junta has maintained its ban on political gatherings of more than four people, and prevented political parties from functioning properly.

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva, meanwhile, said the four questions posed by the prime minister reflect his lack of confidence in the new Constitution’s so-called corruption-suppressing mechanism.

Abhisit said that if the ruling junta failed to answer the questions, it meant that the coup had not led to intended results.

In response to the PM’s question regarding good governance, the veteran politician said whether it was through election, appointment or coup, there was no guarantee the government members would have good governance. 

“But you have a better chance of getting leaders with good governance if democracy continues without interruptions,” he added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30316753

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-31

So basically if the elite and the old guard don't like the elected government they can always do what they did in 2008 and get the constitutional court to disolve the offending governing party. The silent coup option.

If that fails they can use the justice system to ban politicians after they dig the dirt on them. Any criminal activity will ban them from holding office.

A bit like what's happening in Cambodia at the moment. Same, same, but different.

34 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

The coup was a ghastly waste of time.  Nothing was accomplished. 

Accomplishing nothing was exactly their goal; they don't want to solve the problems as that makes the army absolete and puts them out of power being made subordinate to an elected government.

He should probably stick to songs, lists of "values" to be memorized and orders.

Leave the questions to non-military leaders?

Who would have thought, given his copious daily diatribes, edicts, comments, pronouncements and orders, that his "four questions" would have put him off his game?

Edited by mtls2005

I don't get why this has become such an issue

He is simply  asking the Thai people to think long and hard before they put a tick in the box when voting - probably something most have never done before because they have been told or paid 

He is simply  asking the Thai people to think long and hard before they put a tick in the box when voting - probably something most have never done before because they have been told or paid 

If only the Military thought "long and hard" before taking over the country countless times?

3 hours ago, webfact said:

“This has nothing to do with me because people will make their decisions, with proper consideration when they vote,” he wrote.

The important part of that statement is the word WHEN.   

When in Thai maybe also translates as IF.

Edited by RichardColeman

4 hours ago, webfact said:

he himself would have “no involvement” with what unfolds after the junta’s rule ends.

Simply not true.

• Prior to dissolution of the NCPO Prayut must approve the elected PM's nominated cabinet.
  • After dissolution of the NCPO he will be a member of the junta-appointed Senate along with other members of the NCPO.
  • Article 265 of the 2017 Constitution gives the military power to legally overthrow a royally endorsed elected government.
  • Organic laws passed by the junta rubber-stamp NLA require the next elected government to conform to the junta's 20-year reform plan that is part of national security.
4 hours ago, webfact said:

“I don’t expect answers favourable to me,”

And he doesn't care. These questions are tools of manipulation.

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

The coup was a ghastly waste of time.  Nothing was accomplished. 

Exactly what they wanted was accomplished. It has been and continues to be smoke and mirrors whilst a certain someone consolidates and increases his power.

4 hours ago, smedly said:

I don't get why this has become such an issue

He is simply  asking the Thai people to think long and hard before they put a tick in the box when voting - probably something most have never done before because they have been told or paid 

The questions are infantile, as is the buffoon Prayuth.