Maya Mall, neighbour from hell

daoyai

48 minutes ago, evenstevens said:

just a stab, Vieng Ping Condo, 

point blank range,from  Maya Mall

a nice late arvo to all

I took a look at google map, it's quite close to Maya.

A good place to go shopping at Maya everyday but a hellish place to sleep.

Avoid Nakornping condo too.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, masuk said:

Chickens and hens are ok.  It's the @$^&(*! roosters that get to me.   If the neighbours also indulge in  bit of cock fighting, and keep their contestants in cages in the back yard, it's goodbye sleep-ins.

You've forgotten the gekkos. It baffles me how something so small can be so noisy. Perhaps they have Thai DNA.

There's only two solutions - earplugs, or get used to it.

Sleep-ins? Are you kidding me? In the village, the roosters and gekkos are in full voice between 1 and 5 am.

Edited by bazza73
Forgot something

On 1.6.2017 at 9:23 AM, Bill97 said:

Who assured you they had to close at midnight?

How did they assure you?

If it isn't a entertainment zone they must close at 12:00!!! Call police for actions against the pub.

On 6/2/2017 at 3:56 PM, heybruce said:

Another repeated and much discussed issue has been bar closings at midnight, which has been, with few exceptions, the rule since the coup.  The OP clearly stated he assumed it would apply to the Maya bars.

the op clearly assumed wrong

On 6/1/2017 at 0:02 PM, EricTh said:

Enforcement and language issue is a problem in Thailand.

Enforcement of laws and rules only happens when it involves money or saving face, otherwise they are ignored. 

12 hours ago, Fulwell53 said:

A lot of thai people seem to have a herd of dogs!!!!!

I know at least 100 thai people not one of whom has a dog

Ridiculous assertion with no empirical evidence whatsoever.

If i had said ''most'' your critique would have some merit ,but i did not .

On 6/1/2017 at 0:19 PM, anto said:

>>I would rather hear bar noise than dog packs.<<

Me too .Anyway before you rent it would be wise to check out a place for a  night or two .

Always,Always before renting or buying ,Go to the area on the weekends and during the middle of the week ,during both the night and day time.Why do you think that you see all those condos selling by frangs now.You learned your lesson so now take your loss and leave.Complaining to the cops might get you beat up so go.

12 hours ago, Fulwell53 said:

A lot of thai people seem to have a herd of dogs!!!!!

I know at least 100 thai people not one of whom has a dog

Ridiculous assertion with no empirical evidence whatsoever.

If you know such a resplendent term as "empirical evidence" you should also possess a capable grasp on the English language to know that "a lot" means "many", and for sure many Thais have a kennel (the correct term for a collective gathering of domesticated canines, guess can't say the same for the poster you're quoting) of pet dogs. 

But I also agree from my own personal experience of seeing Thais owning dogs that many do have more then one, so maybe you also don't know what that empirical evidence means a source of knowledge gained by means of sense, often by observation.

It was fun to play grammar police with you all on this lovely Sunday morning, have a great day :smile:

12 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

They told you there was a law?  AAAAAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!  THAT'S A KNEE SLAPPER!  There's only one law here bro.  That being "There ain't no laws."

Thai version of "Rules are made to be broken" :sleepy:

Just now, junglechef said:

If you know such a resplendent term as "empirical evidence" you should also possess a capable grasp on the English language to know that "a lot" means "many", and for sure many Thais have a kennel (the correct term for a collective gathering of domesticated canines, guess can't say the same for the poster you're quoting) of pet dogs. 

But I also agree from my own personal experience of seeing Thais owning dogs that many do have more then one, so maybe you also don't know what that empirical evidence means a source of knowledge gained by means of sense, often by observation.

It was fun to play grammar police with you all on this lovely Sunday morning, have a great day :smile:

The point is many Thais have dogs and do not look after them. neighbor opposite me has just acquired 3 more and just let's them roam free and make as much noise as they want. Thais and responsibility just don't mix.

3 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

The point is many Thais have dogs and do not look after them. neighbor opposite me has just acquired 3 more and just let's them roam free and make as much noise as they want. Thais and responsibility just don't mix.

Got the point and agree many Thai don't look after their dogs, but that means many do too.

I live in a small village and have a kennel of dogs myself which sometimes behave more like a pack of wolfs. When some of the other village dogs start howling in the middle of the night a chain reaction occurs and it's like a symphony or cacophony, depending on your point of view or modality as the case may be.

You guys probably don't like the snakes either!!!

3 minutes ago, junglechef said:

Got the point and agree many Thai don't look after their dogs, but that means many do too.

I live in a small village and have a kennel of dogs myself which sometimes behave more like a pack of wolfs. When some of the other village dogs start howling in the middle of the night a chain reaction occurs and it's like a symphony or cacophony, depending on your point of view or modality as the case may be.

You guys probably don't like the snakes either!!!

Well not many people can control snakes and I'm very heartened you control your dogs but, be fair, most moo baans and sois have a 'dog' problem with many strays wandering around. I have always found a dog or two on their own are ok but once 3 or more they can become very vicious. Thais think nothing of opening their gate and letting them harass others. I well remember walking down one soi and about 7 dogs came at me and the Thai owner standing there thinking it was funny - I was really scared.

But we veer off-topic   :)  

Edited by LannaGuy

11 hours ago, mduras01 said:

. I used to live right next to Maya (viengping), never thought the music was loud.

perhaps a few  months back, E/S  had  a friend who was interested in buying a top floor unit for 4.6 Mil,   at  Vieng Ping  Condo  a very nicely fitted out unit 108 sq metres

but  after  doing a  full  dilegeince workout on the condo, immediately gave it the Kyberpass, largely due to music coming from Maya Mall, and the nightmare of contending with   Rincombe Intersection, right decision  was  indeed made,  taking those two above draw backs into consideration,  4.6 mil to listen to muscic every nite,don,t think so

maybe you  like listening to muscic every nite:smile:

a Steve Perry good morning to all

Edited by evenstevens

26 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Thais and responsibility just don't mix.

Millions of Thais are acting responsibly in many ways every minute of every day.  Your generalization to the contrary speaks only of your unfortunate lack of perception or racism. 

6 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Millions of Thais are acting responsibly in many ways every minute of every day.  Your generalization to the contrary speaks only of your unfortunate lack of perception or racism. 

ah a pseudo-thai apologist this early in the morning!  open your eyes and to get back ON-TOPIC maya, or any bar, disturbing others shows lack of respect and responsibility 

Edited by LannaGuy

2 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

I let that go in my response to that post, and agree with you, for a good part one often only notices the ones that aren't in one's own eyes.

Which brings up another point, what a Westerner might consider being irresponsible locally it might not be.

Similar that I find many Thais have a different tolerance to volume.

Seems they are bothered by less and put up with more and it seems to work fine for them.

13 minutes ago, junglechef said:

I let that go in my response to that post, and agree with you, for a good part one often only notices the ones that aren't in one's own eyes.

Which brings up another point, what a Westerner might consider being irresponsible locally it might not be.

Similar that I find many Thais have a different tolerance to volume.

Seems they are bothered by less and put up with more and it seems to work fine for them.

That is true they do seem to tolerate loud volume more and I was talking generally and what can you expect we are in a backward country and there are many things we have to adapt to here. Let's get back on-topic about Maya not dogs and whether thais are responsible or not etc. 

Maybe the management at Maya could be approached?  but generally you do need to scope out where you want to live and many times condos will have a 'quiet side' and a 'noisy side'  and Hillside 4, sky breeze and punna all fall into this category.

36 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

ah a pseudo-thai apologist this early in the morning!  open your eyes and to get back ON-TOPIC maya, or any bar, disturbing others shows lack of respect and responsibility 

1 hour ago, LannaGuy said:

And dogs are definitely on the topic of the Maya Mall.   Oh I forgot you are the chief honcho and the topic is anything you say.  Mommy will certainly agree.

22 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

And dogs are definitely on the topic of the Maya Mall.   Oh I forgot you are the chief honcho and the topic is anything you say.  Mommy will certainly agree.

What do you want from someone living in a "backward country" :saai:

23 hours ago, Kenerick said:

Would the OP please share the location of the apartment in question.

I like the idea of living near a shopping complex for the obvious convenience, but just how far away regarding noise and traffic is another question.

Therein lies the dilemma, does one want peace and quiet, or the "obvious convenience."  There are plenty of condos (and homes) outside of town that are relatively peaceful....and cheaper.  But if one wants to live in the center of town, well....

On 6/1/2017 at 11:02 PM, EricTh said:

By law, any bars should close by midnight. However, most bars ignore it.

I had the same problem when I lived near Kad Suan Kaew and the bar opposite blast their speakers way past midnight. When I asked them to lower the volume, those xxx refused to do so.

I did phone police but they couldn't understand simple English at all and my Thai is also too basic for them to understand my complaint.

If you know of any Thai friends, ask them to call police for you.

Enforcement and language issue is a problem in Thailand.

There is another way to close the offending bar like a group of us did in Pattaya some years ago now.

Get your neighbors to sign a petition in Thai & English with their full name,address that states that we the undersigned are making an "official complaint" [very important as Police have to respond in writing as to their actions taken & time frame] re said bar on the grounds of noise pollution after midnight which is illegal as stated by PM .

Get a Thai to phone Naiumpur [Sheriff] of your area & make an appointment with him or his asst telling them the issue.

Dress smart & take as many people with you as you can along with a Thai translator[important] state yor case without anger show respect .When 5 of us met our Asst Naiumpur he stated they took noise pollution very seriously & thus instructed the Police to investigate our situation of 3 karaoke bars blasting music out way past midnight every night for months -we even had death threats when we tried to talk to the owners. But because we got the Sheriff involved the Police had to be seen to act- so a month later the bars were shut down & we received a letter from Police stating what they had done [sent the 3 owners to prison on various charges but not strangely noise pollution more selling alcohol illegally,under age sex workers etc]

So it does work but the more signatures you get the stronger your chances.

You now need to take action & force yourself to knock on all your neighbors doors accompanied by a Thai & see the response but be prepared  for threats from owners of the bars ok. Choc dee !

On 2.6.2017 at 3:25 PM, heybruce said:

Really? Tawan Daeng and Spicy are the only places I'm aware of that brazenly stay open after midnight.  There are many others that will quietly stay open, behind closed doors, but they are careful to not give neighbors cause to complain. 

Until the OP's post I was not aware that the Maya bars were staying open, and I try to stay on top of this issue.

You are living in Chiang Mai? 

so you should know, that Mandaly stays open to 3a,, Riverside and Good View to 2 am, with full live music,

Living room stays open illeagally until 5am,  but never get a problem with police because they pay a lot and they close, when the army checks the bars, what happend last Friday night, and 3 bars got shut down in the boxing ring.

sorry, but you have a lot to learn about thailand, and maybe life in general. unfortunately many  people, especially when they have something to gain, will tell you what they what you want to hear. what you should do is listen to them and then do your own research and necessary checks. a good lesson for life.