Article 44 improved education, minister says

webfact

Article 44 improved education, minister says
By Pratch Rujivanarom
The Nation

e49882ea3c2841ee12253306df5e7225.jpeg

Education Minister Teerakiat Jareonsettasin

BANGKOK: -- Education Minister Teerakiat Jareonsettasin on Wednesday justified the government’s use of Article 44 of the interim constitution to allow foreign universities to establish campuses here.

Speaking at an event called “A Leap Forward in Bridging Higher Education, Research and Innovation for Thailand 4.0”, Dr Teerakiat explained that the move overcame legal barriers that slow progress in education and thus hamper the economy.

“We needed to use Article 44 to open a new chapter in Thai education,” he said. “It enabled us to waive all rules slowing progress.”

Since Thailand is governed according to civil law rather than common law, he said, government actions must have the appropriate legal standing, but at times legal barriers stand in the way of the best intentions.

“When I first came to the post of education minister, I had many new ideas, but officials at the ministry said I couldn’t act on them because there were laws preventing me,” Teerakiat said. “They told me that, instead, I’d have to do what the law told me to do.

“Why can’t I do what I want to do to help our education system progress?”

The world is becoming more complex and interconnected, he said, and children must be prepared for the challenges. The government wanted foreign universities to help develop the country’s human resources, he said.

At the same event, King Mongkut’s Institute of Technology Ladkrabang announced a collaboration with United States-based Carnegie Mellon University to set up a research centre in Thailand in accordance with government policy.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30316930

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-01

5 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

Is this an admission of guilt that foreign education is supposed to be better?

No admission needed.

Just look where the top of the society sends its children to.

(Switzerland, UK, USA etc.)

17 hours ago, webfact said:

“Why can’t I do what I want to do to help our education system progress?”

Junta mania inside the government; Why can’t I do what I want ?

Poor choice of words.  "We" would be better unless he has total, unchecked authority. 

“A Leap Forward in Bridging Higher Education, Research and Innovation for Thailand 4.0”

Who doesn't love a good slogan. Now they need some patriotic posters.

“We needed to use Article 44 to open a new chapter in Thai education,” he said. “It enabled us to waive all rules slowing progress.”

A few examples would obviously bolster his claim.

The reliance on Article 44 to "govern" is alarming. The Junta seems incapable of accomplishing anything without issuing orders.

pc-1958-024.jpg

18 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Is this an admission of guilt that foreign education is supposed to be better?

No…no...that’s not it….that’s not it at all. They’re actually doing foreigners a favor.

Everyone knows that foreign universities are eager to learn from the Thai educational system but they would lose face if they admitted it. So…in the true spirit of ‘Kreng Jai’ Thailand will kindly allow foreign academics to pretend they are helping Thailand…while they will actually be here to learn.

Article 44 is a beautiful thing.

Edited by Hayduke

I guess the real reason this is allowed is because they want the money and technology from the foreign universities. I know many lecturers here who complain that they can't do any meaningful research because of the out of date machinery. It also saves the government having to send students with scholarships to other countries, who then fall in love with those countries (or a nice handsome man there) and don't want to come back.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand is governed according to civil law rather than common law

Not exactly. The Thailand judicial system is highly influenced by common law, especially during the Prayut regime that emphasizes culture and tradition being critical to Thai ethics and morality. That explains the inconsistent and arbitrary-like Thai prosecution and court decisions.

On 6/1/2017 at 1:43 PM, KhunBENQ said:

No admission needed.

Just look where the top of the society sends its children to.

(Switzerland, UK, USA etc.)

There are some excellent educational establishments here - but as usual, entry is more about who you know, who your friends are and what your willing to pay. So not just the top but the upper middle and some middle are all now looking overseas. By the time the real actual  cost is quoted it can actually be cheaper to send them overseas, incredible as it may seem.