Pink ID card & Yellow tabian baan - Who can get it?

18 hours ago, glegolo said:

Like said different rules everywhere. But in general  You need to be married to get a yellow book (tabien Baan) and you need to have a yellow book if any chance to get a  pink ID-card for foreigners...

So start with the yellow book, and when that is finished then you can apply for a ID card...

Glegolo

You do not have to be married to get a tabien baan.

Hi myself and my Thai wife are living in Bangkok at her parents house whilst our house in Pattaya is ready. I got a yellow Tabien Bahn and a pink ID card even before I applied for my first yearly extension. We just went to the Laksi local council office and they told us which documents we needed copies of and I had to go to the British Embassy to have my passport verified. They will want your marriage certificate translating to Thai if you were married out of Thailand also which we had already done in the UK before we came.

Something else slightly off topic is you can also get a document from them to apply for a Thai driving licence which saves having to go to immigration for a residency document (think that's what it was called). The lady in there was great she told us to apply for a Thai driving licence as an international licence holder after 90 days the insurance is void and you are not covered which we didn't know.

The only reasonable nice explanation is what I mentioned in an earlier post, namely that your amphue-office lack the software to issue this ID-card.

For me when I applied in Chaiyaphum it took me some 2 weeks, and they told me that they didn´t have the software for the falang ID-card, but have ordered it..

And it was true, they called me the following week already, and it was an easy operation to get that ID-card.

Glegolo

My wife checked with her friend that works and helped us at our Amphur. They do have the software and they have issued pink ID cards but only after being registered in the Amphur for 3 years. So who is following the rules? Same time or 3 years? As stated previously, how much is by interpretation or is there an "at your disgretion" clause in place? Just because something has been done in Thailand does not mean that it is truth or by the book. I think no one here seems to have access to all the Thai rule books in Thai. I guess that I could ask my wife's cousin that just retired from our Amphur as a Sub-District executive chief but why should I bother him in his retirement just to prove my point to any of you. I will take the word of my wife's friend as she is the office manager. Signing off this mess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Beats56 said:

Exactly what does the yellow book do for you besides getting a pink ID card?

You are officially registrered to live somewhere in Thailand, you are somebody, and you are actually an existing person, by being in the yellow book....

And for me in my life; I go to the police, I go to transport-office, I go to land-office, I go to my amphue-office,,, They all immediately treat me like a person as soon as I show them my yellow book, not just a guy showing up once a year on a small holiday, and like to use the different positives here, even though NOT being allowed to do it...

Glegolo

• Like 1

13 hours ago, elviajero said:

I doubt that. It is meant for people living in the country. Maybe a 1 year non 'O-A' permit.

If you have evidence of your claim/opinion, please share.

My brother in law is from Germany. Married to my sister. He has only ever come to Thailand on a tourist visa. He is around 70 yrs. old.  He has a yellow house book acquired on his last trip here.  Never tried to get a pink ID card though.  My husband has both, but is here on a retirement visa. None of us own a house in Thailand.  But, we do have a large family here.

Last year I spent a lot of time and money getting a "yellow book" because someone at my Amphur office told my wife that I should have such a thing.  Can someone now tell me what use it is?  I take it with me every time I do a 90 day report or extend my Retirement visa, but no immigration official is interested in even glancing at it.  I had great hopes that I might be excused 90 reports, but it seems not. 

What is the 'pink ID card' and what use is it?   I am so rarely asked to prove my ID that I cannot remember the last time, yet Thais need an ID card to do almost anything.  I do not carry my passport with me, but always have my Thai driving licence, though I have only once been asked to show this...At a police road check, when I was waved on after Khun wife told the police I had a Thai licence.

if I realy should have a Pink ID card, how do I get one?

3 minutes ago, timkeen08 said:

My wife checked with her friend that works and helped us at our Amphur. They do have the software and they have issued pink ID cards but only after being registered in the Amphur for 3 years. So who is following the rules? Same time or 3 years? As stated previously, how much is by interpretation or is there an "at your disgretion" clause in place? Just because something has been done in Thailand does not mean that it is truth or by the book. I think no one here seems to have access to all the Thai rule books in Thai. I guess that I could ask my wife's cousin that just retired from our Amphur as a Sub-District executive chief but why should I bother him in his retirement just to prove my point to any of you. I will take the word of my wife's friend as she is the office manager. Signing off this mess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Nice that you finally got it... It is up to each and every one employed, to set the rules that shall apply to that law in that specific moment in that specific amphue-office. The laws are composed in this way in all corrupt small countries from the third world.

So I suggest that you shall go to your wifes cousin, he is retired anyhow, and have absolutely nothing more to do, than sleep off the days passing. And he can give you what applies and what is not applies at your loal amphue...

Now, all good..

Glegolo

you can also get a document from them to apply for a Thai driving licence which saves having to go to immigration for a residency document

It's my understanding that the drivers' license issuers will accept your yellow book as proof of residence, in lieu of a certificate of residency. Makes sense.

• Like 1

Its very simple.

All Amphurs have there own interpretation of the rules surrounding Yellow books. It can be debated forever on here mine does this or mine says that. Just go to your local Amphur and ask there requirements then you have it straight from the horses mouth. 

Edited by jeab1980
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robin said:

Last year I spent a lot of time and money getting a "yellow book" because someone at my Amphur office told my wife that I should have such a thing.  Can someone now tell me what use it is?  I take it with me every time I do a 90 day report or extend my Retirement visa, but no immigration official is interested in even glancing at it.  I had great hopes that I might be excused 90 reports, but it seems not. 

What is the 'pink ID card' and what use is it?   I am so rarely asked to prove my ID that I cannot remember the last time, yet Thais need an ID card to do almost anything.  I do not carry my passport with me, but always have my Thai driving licence, though I have only once been asked to show this...At a police road check, when I was waved on after Khun wife told the police I had a Thai licence.

You have a point here. If you do not have any much action in your life here in Thailand. Do not have any interaction with authorities of any kind, and mostly stays home. Than I suggest NOT to bother with house-book and ID-card. No use for you.

I am like you living here on NOT a retirement-VISA(does not excist), but as you, on an extension of stay based on retirement. For every new extension (yearly), and every 90 days report, and every Re Entry permit, I have to take copies of my house-book, and sign all copies and give to the officer working at that time...

I know that soon maybe we in Chaiyaphum will have the same as many others have it, they do not any more need to show copies of whatsoever, they are in the computer anyhow...

Glegolo

This is what the Civil Registration Act states;

“Section 38. The district or local registrar shall issue a household registration
for persons without Thai nationality having been permitted to stay temporarily and
those having been giving leniency for temporary residence in the Thai Kingdom as a
special case in accordance with law on immigration and the declaration of the Cabinet
and their children born within the Thai Kingdom.

There is no mention of marital status, home ownership, or probation period.

Thais have to be registered, it's compulsory after birth.

For foreigners it is completely voluntary if you wish to be registered.

Many of the small Amphur offices in Tambons are ill advised, and ill equipped to issue Yellow House books.

In these situations you should visit the main Provincial  Amphur office (Mueang).

In all cases, if renting you need the permission of your landlord to register using their address.

1 minute ago, jeab1980 said:

Its very simple.

All Amphurs have there own interpretation of the rules surrounding Yellow books. It can be debated forever on here mine does this or mine says that. Just go to your local Amphur and ask there reauirements then you have it straight from the horses mouth. 

i dont doubt that for a moment; my old amphoe couldnt do it for me; they had never done one, didnt seem to have time for farang, were not interested, wanted me to just go away and finally said i needed a letter from my embassy; total 9 hours driving; 1800 fee from embassy for notary; didnt do it

new amphoe much more agreeable; scheduled 'interview' for the yellow book

2 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

ok am confused ; what is a pink id card and why should i want one ?

Confused? Its an ID card for foriegners in Thailand. Unless you have yellow book you cant get one. And if you get along ok now without it then you will get along fine never having one. Its a bit of a status thing now i belive.

1 minute ago, jeab1980 said:

Confused? Its an ID card for foriegners in Thailand. Unless you have yellow book you cant get one. And if you get along ok now without it then you will get along fine never having one. Its a bit of a status thing now i belive.

thanks

13 minutes ago, Robin said:

Do you have a driving licence?

Do you own a car or motorcycle?

Do you have a bank account?

For every new extension (yearly), and every 90 days report, and every Re Entry permit, I have to take copies of my house-book,

Now that's interesting. Presumably the majority of folks getting annual extensions and doing 90 day reports don't have house books. How are they dealt with?

15 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

ok am confused ; what is a pink id card and why should i want one ?

Pink ID is all the same information as yellow book, issued at the same place as the yellow book. The main advantage having yellow book/ID is you no longer need to get a Resident Certificate from immigration, every time you need ID and proof of where you live, drivers license, buy a car, Internet contract etc.

Thai people do everything with their blue book and ID, in theory a foreigner should be able to do the same with yellow book and ID.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Its very simple.

All Amphurs have there own interpretation of the rules surrounding Yellow books. It can be debated forever on here mine does this or mine says that. Just go to your local Amphur and ask there requirements then you have it straight from the horses mouth. 

Many local Amphurs don't have a stock of Yellow house books or ID cards.

Neither do they have the biometric equipment.

Rather than say 'I don't know' or 'we cannot do', they usually come up with ridiculous conditions.

(Many of which are reported on here).

The main Provincial Amphur offices are the place to go.

They have stocks, equipment, and trained staff used to the procedure.

13 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Many local Amphurs don't have a stock of Yellow house books or ID cards.

Neither do they have the biometric equipment.

Rather than say 'I don't know' or 'we cannot do', they usually come up with ridiculous conditions.

(Many of which are reported on here).

The main Provincial Amphur offices are the place to go.

They have stocks, equipment, and trained staff used to the procedure.

Which is what i meant by local Amphur ie your Amphur for Mueng you live in

11 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

I have both... yellow book with proof of ownership (ie a condo) and pink card (which is virtually useless) with 2 thai 'friends' and passport/yellow book 

?? Whats 2 thai friends and a passport /yellow book mean then.

Edited by jeab1980

34 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

So its not worth the time and effort required to get what is basically a worthless piece of paper, is how I am reading it, thanks

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Pink ID is all the same information as yellow book, issued at the same place as the yellow book. The main advantage having yellow book/ID is you no longer need to get a Resident Certificate from immigration, every time you need ID and proof of where you live, drivers license, buy a car, Internet contract etc.

Thai people do everything with their blue book and ID, in theory a foreigner should be able to do the same with yellow book and ID.

That's correct Peter.

The bigger issue is that foreigners obtaining a House book and ID card don't use them to their advantage and potential.

When I first arrived in Thailand I used my Passport as my ID to open a bank account, and obtain 'certificates of residence' to purchase a vehicle and obtain my driving licences. My passport ID number was printed on my Driving Licence.

Having later obtained my House book and ID card, I went to the DLT, bank and tax office to change my ID from that of my Passport, to that of my Civilian Registration number on my Tabien Baan and ID card.

Now, just like Thais I can use my TB and ID card as proof of address and don't need my Passport or endless copies of documents to do any administrative procedures.

• Like 1

Just now, jeab1980 said:

?? Whats 2 thai friends and a pasdport /yellow book mean then

Jeeze... you have to take two thai friends with you to sign that they know you etc. and you have to take your yellow book and passport

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

What does the Pink ID card entitle you to exactly?

Its doesn't entitle you to anything (often you can get the Thai price at places) , it goes with your yellow book and contains all the same information. The main advantage is you dont need to keep getting residence certificates from immigration.

1 minute ago, CGW said:

So its not worth the time and effort required to get what is basically a worthless piece of paper, is how I am reading it, thanks

yellow book = totally worth it

pink ID card = useless and I've tried to use it several times 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CGW said:

The only thing useful about the yellow book so far is as stated not having to get a certificate of residence for everything you may have to do

• Like 1