English teacher "wais" and says sorry for attacking a primary school student - but now faces immigration enquiry.

rooster59

44 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Some posters have commented that this guy was not dressed suitably as a teacher.  Amassing Thailand again I guess.   Given that 99% of Thai teachers , gutless to break away from the conservative dress code dictated by the Elites, are more appropriately dressed as undertakers,  then you have to consider that is absolutely in keeping with teaching a nation that is predominantly brain dead. More so the politicians, rather than the poor,  who have only the likes of FB to gander a wider opinion and understanding of what is really happening.

So says another advocate of wife beater and flip flops when visiting their local Immigration office?

The guy obviously was not in the classroom or anywhere near the formal teaching environment when he was most assuredly instructed by the school principal to attend this face-saving photo op. However, in light of the seriousness of the charges and the stupidity of his actions that caused this ruckus, you would have thought that putting on the normal dress shirt that he wears to class would have been more appropriate.

Certainly would have negated about 40% of the bandwidth wasted debating it on this thread.

Edited by NanLaew
capitalization

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have just called a teacher who I used to work with and he does not know what these initials stand for.

If every teacher should know then why was I not taught it when I attended the Teacher Training Academy?

OK. let's cut to the chase here. How old are you (and your phone a friend teacher) and in what century did you attend teacher training?

1 hour ago, saplaieelee said:

Just posted my intial reaction to jaltsc post. The only post I read on this thread. I'd like to add that likely there were extenuating circumstances to this teacher's actions. Maybe this "corporal punishment" was common by the other thai teachers at his school. Also the covreup by the director. Maybe this is common practice to hide the corporal punishment of of any of his teachers, maybe the director applies corporal punishment. Regardless, my feelings which is backed by my long teaching history is that the day a cannot control my frustrations with student non compliance and I have an urge to act out physically disciplining a student is the day my teaching career ends. I have taught physically abused children, i have taught seriously emotionally disturbed children i have taught gang members, never did I give in to the urge. My job has always been to support the children by helping them cope, by role modeling proper ways to behave, etc. i also have never hesitated to talk with and support  colleagues who i have seen come close to loose it with their students.

Just as with jaltsc's post, I truly hope you are not teaching English!!

5 hours ago, Essecola said:

Checking "his qualifications". Understandable if it is a $4000 per month job in Korea or China. But for the pathetic amount of money teachers get paid here it hardly seems worth the ridiculous expectations and hoops they need to jump through. How many "qualifications" does one need for the wonderful priveledge of working full time (plus a large chunk of evenings making lesson plans) for less than $900 per month? Total farce. Would never want to be an English teacher here.

90 % of the so called "teacher" here are in a so called "international school" baby sitting students in classes .They have no "education" degrees earned in a university in their home country.but these "schools" will hire them so as to make the parents think that their children are getting a true international education and that is why the schools can pay these phony s a low salary.

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

Whether this teacher was being paid $500 or $4,000 a month is irrelevant - he accepted the job with the conditions offered by the contract.  That contract (and Thai law) doesn't give him the right to assault his students.  

I would suggest that if he cannot control his temper, then he should not be working as a teacher, especially a teacher of young teenagers, who by human nature will test his patience.

Also, Songkran was in April :)

Many of these type of schools will cover up even sexual abuses of the students to keep the embarrassment and media away.

8 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"The foreign teacher at the center of an online furor after he attacked a P5 student during an English class has wai-ed the child and his mother in apology."

They keep telling foreigners to learn the "Thai Way" to behave. Now that someone has followed that advice and is acting in the traditional Thai manner for treating students, they want to kick him out of the country. Go figure. 

he attacked the child and should be disciplined/dismissed if it was a Thai teacher most people on the forum would be baying for his blood

8 hours ago, davethailand said:

He looks like the sort of Guy I'd love to have teaching my stepkids. NOT! How dare he even touch one of the kids.

Kick him out.

:)

Correct. Leave it to the Thai teachers to beat the kids. It's corporal punishment is illegal, but it happens everyday in Thai schools. But of course foreign teachers can't touch them, and the students know it. Sod working in a government school. 

47 minutes ago, chuang said:

"" he grabbed his throat before pushing him into a table then kicking him to the floor""

If the student is your is your child you just laugh it off......this is not a classroom punishment..it's an physical assault...

Did you ever come across the term  facetious???  

8 minutes ago, yardrunner said:

he attacked the child and should be disciplined/dismissed if it was a Thai teacher most people on the forum would be baying for his blood

Did you ever come across the term  facetious???  

Some posters have commented that this guy was not dressed suitably as a teacher.  Amassing Thailand again I guess.   Given that 99% of Thai teachers , gutless to break away from the conservative dress code dictated by the Elites, are more appropriately dressed as undertakers,  then you have to consider that is absolutely in keeping with teaching a nation that is predominantly brain dead. More so the politicians, rather than the poor,  who have only the likes of FB to gander a wider opinion and understanding of what is really happening.

Facebook quite possibly gives the ordinary people a better idea of the outside world than the Elite or most politicians get from glancing through the tinted windows of their mercs en route to the shelter of their clubs!

30 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

So says another advocate of wife beater and flip flops when visiting their local Immigration office?

The guy obviously was not in the classroom or anywhere near the formal teaching environment when he was most assuredly instructed by the school principal to attend this face-saving photo op. However, in light of the seriousness of the charges and the stupidity of his actions that caused this ruckus, you would have thought that putting on the normal dress shirt that he wears to class would have been more appropriate.

Certainly would have negated about 40% of the bandwidth wasted debating it on this thread.

An affiliate of the brain dead society perhaps?

3 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

An affiliate of the brain dead society perhaps?

I'll see your "affiliate of the brain dead society" and raise you two "Pattaya barstool philosophers" and a "frozen UK pensioner in Chiang Mai".

Slightly off-topic, (but also on-topic, in view of some of the comments in this thread).

Just last week, I wrote and presented a seminar on ADHD and other Special Educational Needs (SEN) for local teachers in Naypyidaw (Myanmar).  I am both a class teacher and a SEN teacher.

If anyone wants to learn more about these SENs, please PM me and I'll send you a copy of my Powerpoint presentation.

9 hours ago, tomwct said:

He looks like he's dressed to go to the beach. I hope he didn't buy his credentials in Khao son road.

Maybe he did along with the very becoming teachers outfit.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

OK. let's cut to the chase here. How old are you (and your phone a friend teacher) and in what century did you attend teacher training?

Yes, my friend is a teacher in Bangkok, we worked together at a school for one semester in Nakhon Sawan about eight years ago, just

after I graduated in a Teacher Training Academy in Bangkok.

7 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, my friend is a teacher in Bangkok, we worked together at a school for one semester in Nakhon Sawan about eight years ago, just

after I graduated in a Teacher Training Academy in Bangkok.

That probably explains a lot.

I presume that the teacher training courses in Thailand must be extremely difficult as, apparently, no-one has passed yet!  It's a little bit like a Navy Cook's course.

It's clear as daylight that any western European working as a teacher here is a loser of  imaginable proportions. It is understandable for Africans, Indians, Filipinos or some such third worlders ex British colonials because $1000 is twice or three times what they would get back home as teachers! Any European willing to go through the ridiculous hoops to be able to teach here is serious loser back home. 

American teaching English in LOS =Loser  back in the states. 

I'm sure that you must be a remarkable success in whatever activity you are, or were engaged in. I wonder has it ever occurred to you that people work here as teachers for reasons other than the money (or as others have suggested to feed some perversion)?

ThB 30000 is peanuts in the USA or Europe, but living here it is a reasonable wage. More to the point, many find teaching English here a challenging,rewarding and satisfying occupation.

There are some dubious characters trying to get into jobs here. The corruption in some of the school's here may allow them an "in". Most don't last long, and if they are doing it in an effort to support a bar hopping life style soon realise that it doesnt pay enough. The majority are doing a good job to the best of their ability and to the benefit of their pupils.

Talk of "losers" and"tips of icebergs" reveals more about prejudices than it does about knowledge of the subject you hold forth upon.

7 hours ago, Essecola said:

Checking "his qualifications". Understandable if it is a $4000 per month job in Korea or China. But for the pathetic amount of money teachers get paid here it hardly seems worth the ridiculous expectations and hoops they need to jump through. How many "qualifications" does one need for the wonderful priveledge of working full time (plus a large chunk of evenings making lesson plans) for less than $900 per month? Total farce. Would never want to be an English teacher here.

I just talked to a college English recruiter in Shantou, China (a 2nd city.)  Pay is $1,500/mth and that's considered good in China. Tell ME about any $4,000 jobs!

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

We are in agreement then, but your post gave the impression that you were maybe complaining about my English, probably the spelling as the words "Mattayom" and

"Prathom" are sometimes spelt differently.

How does asking if you taught English--and that's it, without any innuendo--give the impression I was complaining of your English? 

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I'll see your "affiliate of the brain dead society" and raise you two "Pattaya barstool philosophers" and a "frozen UK pensioner in Chiang Mai".

Clearly case proven in my favour by your reply.  Please see a medical professional as I suspect the onset of Alzheimer's in your particular case  or else degenerative cranium disorder.