Killed For Pouring Whisky The Wrong Way

britmaveric

Killed for pouring whisky the wrong way

The Banglamung police were informed at 2 am on 26th December that a Thai man was shot, sent to Banglamung hospital, and died not long after since the wounds were too severe.

Police Colonel Noppadon Sonsumran, Chief of Banglamung Police, went to investigate at the hospital together with his team to find a Thai man – aged around 27, name unknown because he did not have any ID. In his wallet 3 cards from a pawnshop were found – under the name of Mr. Thepphitak. However, the police are still unsure who the man is since there is no clear evidence.

The police questioned Mr. Wisanu, aged 26 – who came to the hospital with the deceased. He said that all he knows is the dead man’s nickname is Jack. They knew each other from a gang in Naklua but nowadays they worked by selling things at weekend markets.

Mr. Wisanu told the police that earlier he and Jack went to a friend’s wedding celebration. They drank and had a good time and everyone got drunk. Mr. Wisanu then explained about the rule about drinking in Thailand; when you pour whisky or mixers for anyone in Thailand – never ever do it with your hand facing up – it is an insult as this gesture is used when one traditionally sprinkles water on a dead body.

On that night that was what Jack did; he insulted many at the party and one of the guests using a shotgun, shot him 9 times in the chest. People at the wedding quickly helped send him to the hospital and the gunman fled on a truck.

The police are now searching for the gunman and trying to find if there are other reasons why he had to shoot unfortunate Jack.

-Pattaya People

26 Dec 2006

Killed for pouring whisky the wrong way,,,,,,

On that night that was what Jack did; he insulted many at the party and one of the guests using a shotgun, shot him 9 times in the chest. ,,,

Reloading, belt fed or drum magazine?

Yeah, I know, I know. It's just a technicality. But it goes to show a little learning is dangerous.

Shotgun. Chest. 9 times ?

And he was still aliive ? so they sernt him to the hospital ?

(Yeah I know that should read somebody took him , they didn't

just put him in a cab).

Anyway RIP one tough dude.

I am assuming of course that this report is accurate in every detail.

SHOT 9 times,!!!!!

dunno bout taking him to hospital, a scrap yard would have paid a lot better :o

talk about bite the hand that feeds you, what would have happened if he had been really insulting-like slate Liverpool, Man U ???

Must have been one tough dude :D

Edited by pepsi666

The Banglamung police were informed at 2 am on 26th December that a Thai man was shot, sent to Banglamung hospital, and died not long after since the wounds were too severe.

Police Colonel Noppadon Sonsumran, Chief of Banglamung Police, went to investigate at the hospital together with his team to find a Thai man – aged around 27, name unknown because he did not have any ID. In his wallet 3 cards from a pawnshop were found – under the name of Mr. Thepphitak. However, the police are still unsure who the man is since there is no clear evidence.

The police questioned Mr. Wisanu, aged 26 – who came to the hospital with the deceased. He said that all he knows is the dead man’s nickname is Jack. They knew each other from a gang in Naklua but nowadays they worked by selling things at weekend markets.

Mr. Wisanu told the police that earlier he and Jack went to a friend’s wedding celebration. They drank and had a good time and everyone got drunk. Mr. Wisanu then explained about the rule about drinking in Thailand; when you pour whisky or mixers for anyone in Thailand – never ever do it with your hand facing up – it is an insult as this gesture is used when one traditionally sprinkles water on a dead body.

On that night that was what Jack did; he insulted many at the party and one of the guests using a shotgun, shot him 9 times in the chest. People at the wedding quickly helped send him to the hospital and the gunman fled on a truck.

The police are now searching for the gunman and trying to find if there are other reasons why he had to shoot unfortunate Jack.

-Pattaya People

26 Dec 2006

May Jack rest in peace.

I got into trouble for using my toe to point at something so would like to know more about this Thai no-no about palm up when pouring drinks. Can you guys with Thai wives find out how drinks should be poured and presented. From the above post it is presumably wrong to 'cup' the bottle while pouring? So its also wrong to present the glass with hand cupped underneath the glass? How do your Thai wives do it?

Thailand – never ever do it with your hand facing up – it is an insult as this gesture is used when one traditionally sprinkles water on a dead body.

-Pattaya People

26 Dec 2006

The only gesture Bangkok people do with dead is when at the Wat relatives sprinkle a little water in the open palm of the deceased, a practice called rot naam sop.

Nothing at all to do with drinking or pouring drinks.

A single shot its said here: http://www.pattayacitynews.net/news_26_12_49_3.htm, be aware of some not so nice pictures on that site.

"Police Sub-Lieutenant Nidipoom from Banglamung Police Station received a call from medical staff at the Banglamung Hospital concerning a patient who was pronounced dead-on-arrival after sustaining a single gun shot wound to his chest. The victim is Khun Songsak aged 27, a CD vendor, who was shot at the Nongprue Market on Monday Night. This bullet entered the left side of his chest and killed him at the scene. Police tell us that the victim was sitting near his stall and was drinking with friends when an unknown Thai man approached the victim and shot him at point-blank range. For now, friends of the victim cannot give the Police any clues as to why the man was shot and for now this murder case remains a mystery." PattayaCityNews

Edited by kash

Sorry to state the obvious, but is it not the case that he was shot one time with a weapon that fired a shotgun cartridge, the nine "holes" in his chest are the pellets from the cartridge. The image showing the victim's chest is consitant with a close range GSW of this type. A common street weapon is a simple tube carrying a shotgun cartridge with a spring loaded bolt (door lock from a hardware store) roughly fixed to a lump of wood to form a short homebrew single-shot shotgun.

This web site should fill in a few holes, Shotgun Pattern Testing, sorry for the pun. :o

If a handgun or rifle were used the victim's body would have moved from the time of the first bullet to the last, so the grouping of the holes would not be so tight, people move paper targets do not. Also the pattern is roughly round, a handgun fired quickly is likely to creep up the body in a line when fired quickly.

From the grouping of the shot in the man's chest, the aim looks to be focused on his heart. Suggests that the gunman was cool enough to take aim and mean to kill the guy, rather than a heat of the moment "I hate you" shot to the person's face or a general shoot from the hip resulting in a splash across the victim's stomach.

Re reading the PCN web page, I suggest that the translation to English should have been:

"....pronounced dead-on-arrival after sustaining a single shot-gun wound to his chest."

If you pour a drink from a bottle that brings your thumb up and exposes your palm, then it is considered rude by Thais. This I know to be true as I did it ONCE and got told very quickly that it was considered very bad. Fortunately I didn't get shot over the matter.

-Pattaya People

26 Dec 2006

From the PCN site....maybe another reason Jack got smacked...

http://www.pattayacitynews.net/news_04_10_49_2.htm

I did the mistake of pouring a drink palm up once, and got summarily told that it was extremely unpolite.

I was told off for using my foot to point at something on the ground. Now we have this guy being shot for exposing his palm while offering a drink.

Are there any other Thai etiquette rules we should be aware of? Internet sites and travel books usually only mention not touching a Thai's head, and not using one's foot to stop a rolling Thai coin, and, of course, not getting angry.

If, in my home country, I met a Thai (or any other foreigner) who made a mistake in etiquette I would hesitate to roundly tell him off.

Maybe Asians are more touchy than Westerners? I recall another gaffe I made in another Asian country. I had to host a dinner for government officials who were visiting the area. After dinner we were relaxing with drinks when the chief guest abruptly got up and left with his entourage in tow. After a few days I was told that I had turned the sole of my foot towards him! Anyway he is now dead and gone and may he be resting in peace and not walking out of dinner parties given with the best of intentions by someone who unknowingly shows the bottom of the foot to him.