Jomtien/Dontang construction

ThaiBob

22 minutes ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

Asian Almond Tree (the one with the canopy like an umbrella)

Ironwood Tree (the tall and more narrow one)

Both are salt tolerant and have extremely elaborate root systems, which help to prevent beach erosion.  They have probably been on the beach for thousands of years.  I saw Jomtien Beach in the mid-80s, and back then there were 4-5 rows of old-growth trees for miles and miles, and even some on the other side of what was then a narrow road.  It was beautiful!  It is hard to place a value on the old-growth forest that they are foolishly destroying. 

Thanks for the informative information about the trees, much appreciated.   

My best guess is that they tire of collecting and disposing all of the fallen leaves everyday, i/e more maintenance, more cost.

3 hours ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

The city did not have to collect the leaves from the old-growth trees each day.   Why?  Two reasons:  1) it was not necessary because they do not drop leaves all year, and 2) the beach chair vendors did it in the morning and evening when they cleaned out their space on the beach.     In contrast,  the palm trees are high maintenance plants that require the city to spend money to take care of.  The palm trees, unlike the old-growth trees, produce very large, heavy and potentially dangerous seeds that have to be removed (using large trucks, ladders) by the city.  The city did not even "trim trees."  When you cut the head off of a tree, you are not trimming it.  All you are doing is weakening it, maximizing the probability that branches will fall off. If you do it enough times, you end up killing the tree.  Trimming means selectively removing a few dead/dying branches.  It is amazing to me that some people constantly do the exact opposite of what they should do to effect a solution.  In other words, they take pride in creating problems!

Yes, you're right about the city not collecting leaves which leaves a personal concern about the maintenance sustainment.  I just see so many projects that get about 90% complete and then they are walked away from, virtually never to be maintained or repaired again for the most part, or until the next renewal.

I'm just hoping that this isn't one of those past projects and that excellent planning and foresight has been made and will be carried out. 

On a side note, hopefully not going off topic, I've noticed that they are maintaining the palm trees and shrubbery on a daily basis along 2nd Ave in Jomtien.  I've even seen the water runoff from the water truck watering the plants if I get out and about early enough.  The gist being I'm praying that this commendable maintenance is carried out and over to the Beach Road renewal in Jomtien also.

Edited by Roger Lee

• 1 year later...