Elections Next Year? 'Let Me Laugh First,' Skeptics Say

snoop1130

Elections Next Year? 'Let Me Laugh First,' Skeptics Say

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

13926361161392636488l.jpg

Anti-election protesters prevent a voter from entering a polling station on Jan. 26, 2014, in Bangkok.

BANGKOK — After seeing the return of power to the people deferred time and again, some say they do not believe the military regime has any intent to hold general elections.

Upon taking power in 2014, junta leader Prayuth Chan-ocha said repeatedly he’d only be around for a year. Since then, he’s postponed elections while promising that they lie just over the horizon for the past three years, leading some people – including activists and critics – to not take the retired general’s claims seriously any longer.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2017/06/05/elections-next-year-let-laugh-first/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-6-5

Upon taking power in 2014, junta leader Prayuth Chan-ocha said repeatedly he’d only be around for a year.

A year since when?  2014, obviously not.  Today? Guess again. What's that saying about power corrupts and absolute power corrupts so bad that I want it forever?

8 minutes ago, tracker1 said:

Just maybe the people are starting to wake up to the obvious !

It does take a while for the penny to drop for these people at times.....I hope it does drop with a real THUD!!!!

Edited by 248900_1469958220

40 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Since then, he’s postponed elections while promising that they lie just over the horizon for the past three years, leading some people – including activists and critics – to not take the retired general’s claims seriously any longer.

I haven't taken any of his claims to hold elections seriously ever. Everything he has ever done and said showed his intent to be around permanently. The fact that Thais are just waking up to this shows their limited intellect and explains why so many of them keep getting screwed over for money in unbelievable ponzi and pyramid schemes.

Sadly, I have to add to this that my personal opinion is they are way too stupid to have a normal democratic process anyway, as only a very small percentage have any understanding of politics at all, and tend to vote for whoever gives them the most cash or tells the biggest lies.

50 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I haven't taken any of his claims to hold elections seriously ever. Everything he has ever done and said showed his intent to be around permanently. The fact that Thais are just waking up to this shows their limited intellect and explains why so many of them keep getting screwed over for money in unbelievable ponzi and pyramid schemes.

Sadly, I have to add to this that my personal opinion is they are way too stupid to have a normal democratic process anyway, as only a very small percentage have any understanding of politics at all, and tend to vote for whoever gives them the most cash or tells the biggest lies.

My personal opinion is that those that think people are too stupid to vote are the stupid ones.

If it were as simple as whoever gives the most wins, then surely the Democrats would have been able to win an election in the past 17 years - just promise more cash and tell bigger lies.

Countless studies have found that Thai elections aren't bought, only the stupid amongst us believe that silly anti-democracy propaganda in spite of all the evidence disproving it.

The fact is the masses, collectively,  are smart - they know who is going to improve their lot in life and who isn't.

The real irony is that if the clowns who have done so much harm to Thailand in the last 10 years had left democracy alone - Thaksin would have probably already been voted out by now - by the clever masses, without the bloodshed and economic losses these other idiots have wrought.

Edited by Smarter Than You

28 minutes ago, Get Real said:

People here just can´t handle general elections. That as little as letting elected people stay in power. As soon as we don´t like anything we take to the streets and kill, burn and bomb. 

waddya mean................... they got a "General" didnt they??

PM Prayut loves being the boss and is addicted to that role. There is no one who can lever him off the throne. 

Get used to it all you Thai people. Farang can take it or leave it and many already have.

Thailand is becoming an economic and social basket case.

17 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

PM Prayut loves being the boss and is addicted to that role. There is no one who can lever him off the throne. 

Get used to it all you Thai people. Farang can take it or leave it and many already have.

Thailand is becoming an economic and social basket case.

Prayuth is just a dispensable front man.

It will be interesting is seeing what happens to Prayuth if Prawit's health takes him out of the game.

22 minutes ago, Smarter Than You said:

Prayuth is just a dispensable front man.

It will be interesting is seeing what happens to Prayuth if Prawit's health takes him out of the game.

You may well be correct; it will be interesting. But I don't think Prayut sees that he is dispensable.

I think he sees it as more like everyone else around him is dispensable. If those around him like Prawit drop of the twig then so be it. Lifestyle excesses by Prawit such as trips to Hawaii are more likely to be the cause of his downfall. The liver can only take so much.

While addressing a conference on U.N. backed human rights principles last week, Prayuth said his government has worked to improve human rights during the past three years.

This is just one reason he's known as Khun Goh Hok around our place... 

The clown car is in this for the long haul. Whenever puppet elections do come, then an unelected PM will be appointed. Either it will be Prayuth himself, or Prayuth will go to the privy council and some other general will become PM... 

As the article points out, it could still be years before any attempt at fake elections. And even then these morons will keep tight control. Things are not changing for a long time... 

3 hours ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

It does take a while for the penny to drop for these people at times.....I hope it does drop with a real THUD!!!!

I'm afraid it is too late in the day now. The userpers have got what they wanted and the public have not only meekly complied, they voted in a constitution which can now be used against any second thoughts they may have now.

It is difficult to say to them anything except 'Tough sh!t'.

8 hours ago, kannot said:

waddya mean................... they got a "General" didnt they??

Yep, and since then it´s been quite calm. What does that say? For me the answer is better stay in fear than worry about responibilities and the wisdom of learning something from previous same same.

Has it been three years already ?  Time flies when you are having fun.  Sadly only a few can say that under junta rule.

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Sadly, I have to add to this that my personal opinion is they are way too stupid to have a normal democratic process anyway,

Thomas Jefferson response to your opinion 200 years ago :

"I know no safe depositary of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them, but to inform their discretion by education. This is the true corrective of abuses of constitutional power." --Thomas Jefferson to William C. Jarvis, 1820. ME 15:278

"Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories. And to render even them safe, their minds must be improved to a certain degree." --Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia Q.XIV, 1782. ME 2:207

Edited by yellowboat

i remember shortly after the coup there was a discussion on here with a couple people saying the coup was something to do with the change of the monarchy. they were convinced it was something to do with that. seems it is more about holding power than anything else with the changeover completed.

13 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Like 'make America great again'

8 hours ago, Get Real said:

Yep, and since then it´s been quite calm. What does that say? For me the answer is better stay in fear than worry about responibilities and the wisdom of learning something from previous same same.

It's only been calm because people are afraid of lengthy prison sentences.  The divisions in society are still is strong as ever.  There has been no reconciliation whatsoever.  And as for: "I don’t believe Prayuth will resort to the use of guns to suppress people [calling for elections],” .... Don't be so sure.  I imagine he would do pretty much anything to cling to power.  They didn't make the soon to be aired TV series for no reason. 

17 hours ago, darksidedog said:

So no different from any other democratic country then? 

Surely that is the basis of democracy, being able to vote for someone you think will be of most benefit to you and yours.

No need for a degree in politics to choose a favourite.

Unless you're a fanboy of course and you're looking for justification for the junta clinging on to power.