General advice

malagateddy

Hi All,

I live in Chaiyaphum area and have never been to Phuket..however..a friend from back home in the UK has a niece who with a friend are going to Phuket come August for a holiday.

He's a bit concerned as both girls are only 20 years of age.

Can you please give me the lowdown regarding where to do..where not to go..etc etc.

Many Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes..common sense. Stay away from drugs and don't drink so much that they don't have any self awareness left...that is when they get into trouble. Keep their wits about them and they will be fine, get <deleted> and open themselves up to danger.

About 3 million tourists holiday in Phuket every year without incident. Statically it is extremely safe (cue). As long as the girls have a common sense gene and know how to steer clear of drugs and can handle booze they will be in no more danger than a night out in their home town. (Advice for anywhere - don't leave open drinks unattended)

What to do - Phuket probably has more attractions and activities than anywhere else in Thailand, highlighted by access to Phang Nga Bay and offshore islands.

On the way to their hotel from the airport the taxi may try to stop at another hotel/guesthouse or come up with some BS story to get them to stay elsewhere, just tell him politely "No thanks, please take us to the hotel/guesthouse we're booked into ".

2 hours ago, hobz said:

Avoid the taxi, rent a car instead. Will save you millions in the long run

Phenominally bad advice for first time visitor to Phuket.

Edited by csabo

i echo all the prior advice, plus add a few more:

if there's enough time, get to some of the less-developed Phuket and surrounding places,

i.e., Phang Nga, surrounding islands, even our Krabi province

(and though very developed, since they're young, they'd love Koh Phi Phi, although we all find it abhorrent)

i realize that they are quite young, but still might be nice for them to see more pure nature and less concrete;  on Phuket, there is Makham Bay, not far from Chalong, almost a throwback to Phuket of several decades ago

Edited by jenifer d
typo

As everyone said, plus tell them not to try crossing at pedestrians unless they all the vehicles and bikes stop, which is highly unlikely, cross in numbers, cat and mouse really

Edited by 4MyEgo

On 6/6/2017 at 10:05 AM, tonray said:

Yes..common sense. Stay away from drugs and don't drink so much that they don't have any self awareness left...that is when they get into trouble. Keep their wits about them and they will be fine, get <deleted> and open themselves up to danger.

Tell them to remember to bring their brains with them.  No getting drunk and taking an 03:00 walk on the 'deserted' beach.  Other than that they should just enjoy.  Phuket is as safe as any place else as long as you are aware.  

On 2017-6-7 at 0:32 AM, NamKangMan said:

No drugs.

No motor scooters.

No jet skis.

No "buckets."

No Thai men.

If they can say no to all of these, they will have gone a long way to making sure they get home in one piece.

You forgot to mention "No ladyboys"