Red plate when buying a new car

On ‎6‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 5:26 PM, baywatch82 said:

Yeah, but I am trying to avoid registration fees 2 times. I don't want to pay registration fees in BKK to get BKK plates, and then do the same things in Chiang Mai.
Also, where to return red plates and get deposit back ? To Transport Office or to Dealer ?

You do not have to pay registration fees twice.  Just leave the BKK plates on your vehicle, there is not restriction on this, why would you want to change.  You can renew the BKK plates there.  I bought my car in Loei but wanted BKK plates.  I paid 3.000 for the red plates and log book and it took 3 months to get the white plates.  As others have stated you can only use these red plates during daylight hours and if leaving the province you must complete a log book for each journey.  Money is refunded upon the return of plates and log book to the dealer.  These are commonly known as Dealer Plates.

My dealer, fortunately, is in the province where I reside and renews the registration and insurance for me every year. I have  no worries, they contact me, I attend, negotiate the insurance, which is always discounted and takes two weeks for the renewal to arrive.  My registration comes 3 months later, and again they call me and I go to dealership where they remove the old label and affix the new one.  All done at no extra cost and if I get there around lunch time, a free lunch and drinks are thrown in.

Now the reason I wanted BKK plates is because my step son, who is a RTP member advised me that police in the local provinces are wary of stopping vehicles fitted with these plates.  He did not say why, just said to get them.  I can tell you, no being stopped at check points, just waved right on through. Might be of a benefit in the area where you live.:wai:

15 hours ago, garbolino said:

as far as I know one CAN NOT drive a new car from one province to another....also you should not have paid car tax as IT is "FREE" for the first year

Sorry but wrong and wrong.  You can drive a new car anywhere in Thailand, even with a red plate providing you complete the log book for each day of the journey undertaken.  Car Tax is not free for the first year, where did you hear that.  The dealer might throw it in but it ain't free.  This should be checked out to stop the misinformation. :wai:

http://driving-in-thailand.com/annual-tax-registration-renewal/

2 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

Seriously --- where do you think you are living ..darkest Africa .

You have 4 DHL offices in Chaing Mai--I didn't even look to see how many FedX--same day delivery to your door. I brought a Honda Accord in BKK 2 years back-- saved a lot of Baht--I still run around with BKK plates because.."THERE'S NO DIFFERENCE" use what plates you want---can you tell the difference in what's written underneath the number.

DHL Service Point Chiangmai - Thapae Gate

2-6 Rachadamnoen Road · +66 53 326 553

Opens at 09:00

DHL Service Center Chiangmai - ดีเอชแอล สาขาเชียงใหม่

201 Mahidol Rd., Tumbon Haiya,Muang, Chiangmai 50100 · +66 52 005 800

Opens at 09:00

DHL Internation AC ( Thailand)

168/1, Maninopharat Road., Tambol Sri Phum, Amphor Muang, Chiang Mai, 50000 ·

Please don't take me as a fool. I know what is DHL or FedX.

But will Transport Office be willing to send it this way ? Have you done that ?

2 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

You do not have to pay registration fees twice.  Just leave the BKK plates on your vehicle, there is not restriction on this, why would you want to change. (...)

I am buying a new car, and will pick up in about 2 weeks from dealer. How then I can get white BKK plates in 2 weeks ? Impossible.

That's why I will leave dealer on red plates, and then register car where I live - in Chiang Mai.

If you don't know the difference Twix's Buying a New Vehicle or It belonging to Finance House till you have bought it. There's a big difference regarding what you can do.Either way it's still easy if you are firm with them .The Wife's Brother Said will get yer nonwhere.?[emoji481][emoji594]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

A year ago, we bought a car in province in my wife's name. The dealer said all their red tags were being used and was told to show the bill of sale and wife's I'D if stopped since we were driving without tags. They said that the red tags were being phased out and no new ones will be issued to dealers. It worked without a hitch at checkpoints in our province without being waved over. Unknowingly, we went to a nearby province and were waved to the side at a checkpoint. After being told we could not drive out of province and paying a 100 baht fine we were waved on. Back to the dealer, waited for a letter. At checkpoints out of province we were then waved over, showed letter and ID, and were waved on without paying a fine or any hassle. Don't know if phasing out red tags was true and don't know what the letter in Thai stated.

3 minutes ago, baywatch82 said:

I am buying a new car, and will pick up in about 2 weeks from dealer. How then I can get white BKK plates in 2 weeks ? Impossible.

That's why I will leave dealer on red plates, and then register car where I live - in Chiang Mai.

Who said anything about getting white plates in two weeks?  I certainly didn't I think you have me mixed up with someone else.  But it is not impossible, it will depend on the dealer and of course the road transport mob, as to how long this process takes.  You are talking about the red plates and I commented on them.  I also understand that you will leave the dealer with these. I also told you that these and the log book have to be returned to the dealer, who will refund your deposit and also what restrictions are  in place while using a vehicle fitted with red  plates.

You do not have to register you car in Chiang Mai, the dealer does all this for you, or he should be. He should have obtained all your personal details and got you to sign insurance papers and registration papers to enable this to occur.  Once the vehicle is registered the plates and road ta sticker and Blue Book, if you paid cash, will be forwarded to you, either by post or courier or you  could even ask the dealer to have them forwarded to a dealership, if there is one near where you live..  Ask the dealer, if you don't, you will never know.:wai:

17 minutes ago, baywatch82 said:

But will Transport Office be willing to send it this way ? Have you done that ?

Yes---

The Plates are given to the dealership--the dealership will take care of those items such as phoning DHL...(if that's who you want) Our Honda dealership sent them to Honda Issan (Udon)

Which was great as I had stamped out of there 2 weeks before because they would not match BKK--I think they thought I would be back.....:smile:

5 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

We got our white plates in 3 or 4 weeks.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

I agree they can be very quick. Our last car took over 2 months our present one just over 1 week. Thing is there is no certainty as to the full number plate being issued within the 30 day period

PS I assume your Cray II Supercomputer has an i9 processor in it

Edited by gandalf12

2 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

Yes---

The Plates are given to the dealership--the dealership will take care of those items such as phoning DHL...(if that's who you want) Our Honda dealership sent them to Honda Issan (Udon)

Which was great as I had stamped out of there 2 weeks before because they would not match BKK--I think they thought I would be back.....:smile:

Cool good to know.

I actually told the dealer to scrap the registration fee (4500 baht) from our purchase agreement, as I told them I will register car myself in Chiang Mai.

At this point this sounds like a most reasonable way for me to do. Leave the dealer on red plates, and then register car in local Chiang Mai office by myself. I actually like to have things in my own hands. Just in case if something could go wrong or missing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

I agree they can be very quick. Our last car took over 2 months our present one just over 1 week. Thing is there is no certainty as to the full number plate being issued within the 30 day period

PS I assume your Cray II Supercomputer has an i9 processor in it

Exynos 7420 actually.

• 8 months later...

Collecting a new car from a dealer in Chiang Mai today (1 March 2018)

Don't want red plates so it will not have any registration paperwork I guess.

Questions:

1: Will it be insured (1 years first class insurance included in the deal) without a registration plate number having been issued ?

2: What to show the BIB if pulled over.

3: Are there any restrictions about nighttime driving ?

Thanks

Dave

On 09/06/2017 at 5:25 PM, baywatch82 said:

Cool good to know.

I actually told the dealer to scrap the registration fee (4500 baht) from our purchase agreement, as I told them I will register car myself in Chiang Mai.

At this point this sounds like a most reasonable way for me to do. Leave the dealer on red plates, and then register car in local Chiang Mai office by myself. I actually like to have things in my own hands. Just in case if something could go wrong or missing.

I did this, had to hand over a 10000 baht deposit though for the plates and a silly brown book that you're suppose to fill in when driving between provinces.

23 hours ago, davehowden said:

Collecting a new car from a dealer in Chiang Mai today (1 March 2018)

Don't want red plates so it will not have any registration paperwork I guess.

Questions:

1: Will it be insured (1 years first class insurance included in the deal) without a registration plate number having been issued ?

2: What to show the BIB if pulled over.

3: Are there any restrictions about nighttime driving ?

Thanks

Dave

Lets have an update then about the plates ....

Yes it will be insured...

500thb to show the BIB

No restriction on night time driving if you don't have Red plates...

If you buy the Car with no finance, and know where the Local Office is that presses out the Plates, tell the dealer you want all the papers when U collected it  and you can go yourself n do it. The Office folks are quite impressed n helpfull when a Ferang turns up and they whizz you through 90 Mins .All in All an enjoyable learning experience for once.Then went to Acc Shop n chose nice frames without the dealers free add blurb on them