Windows 10 reset.

stubuzz

My computer is slowing down and i want to do a reset.  I see 2 choices; keep files or delete files. Will this reset only affect the partition with the operating system (C), or will it delete the stuff i have in drive/partion (D) also?

31 minutes ago, Forkinhades said:

Only C,

but it will remove any installed applications, even if they reside on D:

I would try a "keep files" first, actually download and run CCleaner before even that.

Another option you have is by using the windows media creation tool from Microsoft. This is still available and usable as long as your current install has been registered or, if you are doing a clean install on a new machine, that you have the license key available. This method will give you the option of keeping your data and installed programs, or to keep nothing and do a complete clean install. When you get to the download page (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ) click on the indicated button shown below and follow the instructions. There is also additional information available on this page.

593bc8345c1f8_w10mediacreation.jpg.78cb4e1ecf82201cd2d2776e7f5319e0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Before doing a reset I suggest to backup a hard drive. You can use Disk drill tool and this guide https://www.cleverfiles.com/hard-drive-backup.html . This software can take an exact snapshot of the hard drive, preserve a copy of the data, and recover it later whenever necessary. Hard drive problems only get worse, not better, so the sooner you take this snapshot (also called a disk image) of your hard drive, the more chances you have of preserving all of your files.