Trump's UK visit on despite criticism, says foreign secretary

webfact

1 hour ago, boomerangutang said:

"Signatories to the online petition calling for the Trump invitation to be rescinded may take comfort from suggestions that state visits can carry the kiss of political, if not mortal, death."

She has met all the 12 US Presidents Boomera.....Jesus why do you guys have such long names?

We did get a visit from Tricky Dicky in 69 to put the pressure on to Join In Vietnam--- but he wasn't impeached was he?? he saw the writing on the wall.....suppose that counts though.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let him come.  The Queen will do her bit in ridicule him but he will be too dumb to see it. The people will come out in their thousands to give Trump the welcome he deserves and the cartoonists and media will have enormous fun.  It will be a security nightmare trying to protect the idiot from all the rotten eggs heading his way.  I am actually looking forward to his visit. 

But the really interesting bit would be if May is not Prime Minister then!  Then he would really be in hostile waters

3 hours ago, Traveler19491 said:

Perhaps Trump should have observed your admonition and shown some class, been diplomatic and polite by supporting the UK in their time of tragedy, rather than demonstrating his complete lack of class by using an unspeakably tragic incident to further his own agenda.

Just because he has an obsession for a ban on Muslims does not make a good reason to not respect the grief and tragedy of others.

"A complete lack of class" i rest my case.

As an extremely anti-trumpist American, I don't think the UK should cancel the visit. 

The huge expected protests will be helpful for the world to see for the anti-trump resistance and also it's best not to damage the special relationship just because right now the U.S. has made a terrible mistake. 

International support is welcome to help Americans correct this mistake. 

5 hours ago, terryw said:

Not everyone supports Sadiq Khan. He is definately not a saint. On Monday morning May supported him. In the evening he was on TV criticising her.

That might be modern day politics but a lot of people regard Khan as slimy and two faced.

Please list the names of all political leaders that everyone supports.  How about just one. Apart form Kim Jong-un.

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

As an extremely anti-trumpist American, I don't think the UK should cancel the visit. 

The huge expected protests will be helpful for the world to see for the anti-trump resistance and also it's best not to damage the special relationship just because right now the U.S. has made a terrible mistake. 

International support is welcome to help Americans correct this mistake. 

I think DT should visit. I am all for keeping the USA/UK relationship alive and healthy. I am not aware that He has been to England before(i know he has been to Scotland) Maybe it might be a good idea for him to have a couple of heads up, just to inform him of the etiquette that is required when meeting Royalty, you know, because we are such an antiquated country and have the habit of lopping off Monarch's heads (sarc). I would hate it though if he shakes hands with our lizzy and in doing so, puts his hand on her back,to draw her in, as he did with Hillary Clinton:shock1:.I am sure that it will all go well.

I agree as an American who is more and more anti Trump- let him come and let the Americans who voted for him see the British protests against him. Maybe it will wake the Americans up that Trump is not welcome in the rest of the World.

In addition, I find his comments regarding the attacks on Britain and the London mayor completely disgusting.  He even tried to make a link between these attacks and his traveler ban.  My problem with Trump is not only his lack of a World view and a domestic policy that works for all Americans- it is his coarseness and downright rudeness. The British are known for their politeness- the exact opposite of Donald Trump.

However, I do hope the Queen and the British PM give him an earful.

Many people may not like Mayor Khan's politics or his stand on some social issues- but it was inappropriate and rude of Mr Trump to criticise Mr Kahn in the way he did and at the time that he did it.  It would have been better for Trump to have merely sent his condolences and offer support to the British people/ Mr. Trump was being rather cheeky if I remember the term.  There is another term that starts with a W and ends with and R- but I shall refrain from using it..

Edited by Thaidream

1 hour ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

I think DT should visit. I am all for keeping the USA/UK relationship alive and healthy. I am not aware that He has been to England before(i know he has been to Scotland) Maybe it might be a good idea for him to have a couple of heads up, just to inform him of the etiquette that is required when meeting Royalty, you know, because we are such an antiquated country and have the habit of lopping off Monarch's heads (sarc). I would hate it though if he shakes hands with our lizzy and in doing so, puts his hand on her back,to draw her in, as he did with Hillary Clinton:shock1:.I am sure that it will all go well.

You remeber his first trip abroad? Everything went well and he was so much respected by the other country leaders!

Well, that was the Donald tweeting his normal bs, while everybody else, except his hardcore fans, saw it different.

Yes, please let him visit the UK. A more embarrassing moment for this clown is not possible.

And after his visit you can read his tweets, or listen to the press conference from the WH, that it was all good and a historical visit.

Well, one thing for sure, it will be historical.

Sorry, spelling mistake, I mean histerical.

Another great reason to vote Labour tomorrow. Corbyn has called for the withdrawal of Trump's invitation to visit Britain. Can't wait to see him put his money where his mouth has been for months.

2 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Another great reason to vote Labour tomorrow. Corbyn has called for the withdrawal of Trump's invitation to visit Britain. Can't wait to see him put his money where his mouth has been for months.

Doubt that Labour will win tomorrow but there may be a hung parliament.  However I want to see Trump come to the UK so that he can be ridiculed as he surely will be.

8 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Doubt that Labour will win tomorrow but there may be a hung parliament.  However I want to see Trump come to the UK so that he can be ridiculed as he surely will be.

Either way, do invite him and if it's Corbyn make sure to find clever ways to humiliate the clown. That's what he fears the most in the world. 

Like if trump puts out his hand for one of his infamous S and M handshakes, just grab his nuts (if it's possible to find them under his fat curtain), and say British protocol, you weren't briefed? 

Edited by Jingthing

17 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Sorry, but you are not going to get a chance to celebrate a Corbyn win, as I am sure you know.

2 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Sorry, but you are not going to get a chance to celebrate a Corbyn win, as I am sure you know.

They said that about the man you have chosen, with a few embellishments, as your avatar! And about Brexit!

Third time lucky?

20 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

I doubt it too but a hung parliament is a real possibility due to May to continuing to screw everything up.  Coalition anyone?

Actually a coalition would just bring more chaos.  The probability still seems to be a Tory win with a much reduced majority.

Edited by dunroaming

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Don't forget, in January last year over 580,000 people signed a petition asking that Trump be blocked from even entering the UK. That suggested to me he wouldn't be warmly welcomed. Since that time his popularity has hardly gone up, so I suspect his reception, if he does come, to be somewhat problematic.

It would be wise for him to stay away, but wisdom does not appear to be one of his strong points.

Interesting. Yet know one bothered about the Saudi King, or the Chinese Dictator being given the red carpet treatment?

It seems someone somewhere is orchestrating all this hostility to Trump.

Like him or detest him - he's the freely elected President of our closest ally.  Just hope he don't fart next to the queen or grab her!

36 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I doubt it too but a hung parliament is a real possibility due to May to continuing to screw everything up.  Coalition anyone?

Actually a coalition would just bring more chaos.  The probability still seems to be a Tory win with a much reduced majority.

Won't be long till we find out!

I saw an investment analyst sizing things up on TV today. He seriously saw investment opportunities in every scenario so he wasn't bothered what happened. Guess that's what makes them rich!

The interesting one was he thought a shock Labor victory world mean no Brexit. Not soft, hard or anything. 

11 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

The interesting one was he thought a shock Labor victory world mean no Brexit. Not soft, hard or anything.

I think that would be a mistake but I suspect that Brexit would be softer under labour with a trade agreement and the retention of the free movement of people as a result.  Given the amount of money we are going to have to pay to leave it may then seem a futile exercise.  Anyway the chance of a shock labour win is very unlikely so we will probably never know

28 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

It seems someone somewhere is orchestrating all this hostility to Trump.

He's actually doing a fine job all by himself.

29 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Like him or detest him - he's the freely elected President of our closest ally.  Just hope he don't fart next to the queen or grab her!

As to the first part of your statement, we're looking to that whole "freely elected" thing, as you may have noticed. The second part? Wouldn't put either one past him.

5 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I think that would be a mistake but I suspect that Brexit would be softer under labour with a trade agreement and the retention of the free movement of people as a result.  Given the amount of money we are going to have to pay to leave it may then seem a futile exercise.  Anyway the chance of a shock labour win is very unlikely so we will probably never know

Have you voted? We sent our postal votes off last week. 

I tend to agree that Corbyn would push for and support a soft Brexit. Problem is he would pay everything the EU asked for and give up anything to get it. Their negotiators must've fallen about laughing when he announced "he guaranteed a deal"!

May, I suspect, realized sometime ago, that the negotiations could well be driven by the zealots who want to punish Britain and try to squeeze as much as possible out of them. As a warning to others not to leave and because of their dislike/envy of Britain. She knows that a "no deal" is a possibility due to the EU's intransigence and unwillingness to actually really negotiate.

And all of this due to Cameron's arrogance and carelessness.

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I would love to see the UK de-Brexit ... it was a mistake and the young people that have to live with it longer were not for it, but not nearly as great a mistake as electing trump. 

Brexit was a mistake and the optimism that it would cause the collapse of the EU seems to have been misplaced.  However to cancel it now would make our relationship within the EU very fraught.  Of course if May was to lose then that would certainly heal some of the wounds but it wouldn't stop the divisions within the UK that would escalate with a withdrawal from leaving.

1 minute ago, Traveler19491 said:

He's actually doing a fine job all by himself.

As to the first part of your statement, we're looking to that whole "freely elected" thing, as you may have noticed. The second part? Wouldn't put either one past him.

He certainly ruffles people and isn't exactly a bastion of charm and sophistication!

The free election thing - really a non starter. It's the old reds under the beds all over again. Only the Russian's aren't communist anymore.

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I would love to see the UK de-Brexit ... it was a mistake and the young people that have to live with it longer were not for it, but not nearly as great a mistake as electing trump. 

Two different things; but same same.

Brexit was stupid. A referendum called by an arrogant PM to silence the leavers in his own party and stop defections to UKIP. Only he never bothered to make sure to include rules about necessary winning margins because he never dreamed people would vote to leave.

The whole process afterwards, the clear lack of any cohesive plans, the shambles as May took over and tried to force things through unconstitutionally and was stopped by the courts. 

I seriously believe that if another referendum was held tomorrow the result would be massively in favor of staying in the EU; now people have more and better information and lies, some whoppers, have been exposed.

I guess similar in the US. If the election was held again maybe the result would be different. But addressing why 48% didn't vote must be a major worry.

4 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

And all of this due to Cameron's arrogance and carelessness.

Yes but Cameron was reacting to the rise in UKIP by calling the referendum so in fact you could say that they caused it.

I will be voting tomorrow.  I live in Tory heartland which also happens to be the heartland of the remainers and there certainly is a backlash around here against May.   Hardly any Tory posters up but a lot of Lib Dem ones.  May be an upset coming? 

Just now, dunroaming said:

Yes but Cameron was reacting to the rise in UKIP by calling the referendum so in fact you could say that they caused it.

I will be voting tomorrow.  I live in Tory heartland which also happens to be the heartland of the remainers and there certainly is a backlash around here against May.   Hardly any Tory posters up but a lot of Lib Dem ones.  May be an upset coming? 

It'll be a long night tomorrow staying up watching the results!

But Bell's Whiskey is now widely available here, on promotion at 499 ThB a litre bottle - Cheers :-)