Wife critical after "jealous" taxi driver sets fire to her in Koh Samui

webfact

Wife critical after "jealous" taxi driver sets fire to her in Koh Samui

2pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

KOH SAMUI: -- A young woman is fighting for her life after her husband attacked her and covered her in petrol and set fire to her in Bo Phut, Koh Samui.

Twenty seven year old Sinfa Suwanphayak, a taxi driver from Samut Prakarn, called the cops after he had taken his wife Suchawadee Philadaeng, also 27, from Undon Thani, to Koh Samui Hospital.

He told Bo Phut police that he had had a jealous argument with his wife and had attacked her. Then he poured gasoline on her and set fire to her.

When her clothes were fully on fire he realized he had done wrong and used a cloth to smother the flames. Then he took her to hospital.

Police arrested him yesterday in Soi Somjai Mai where he was waiting.

Suchawadee is in ICU where visitors have not been allowed, said Daily News. They quoted doctors as saying she had suffered 70% burns and is in a critical condition.

The husband has initially been charged with assault causing grievous bodily harm, a charge that may be upgraded to attempted murder in time.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-07

Sad very sad, poor lady, if she pulls through she will be scarred for life, both medically and physically.

Police should leave the cell door unlocked, allow him to escape, then catch him and  kick 7 bells out of him.

Edited by colinneil

12 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

What is it about Thailand that leads to these kinds of horrors? This is a serious question; when I have fought with a girlfriend, I never thought of setting her on fire. Anyone?

Prayers to the poor woman.

It's simple.  Thai men can not take, or handle, ANY type of "rejection", or every accept the fact that they are wrong about something, their sense of "jealousy" is overwhelming, and they will strike out any way they can to anyone, including a wife, who says otherwise.  Been here 9 years, and have see it happen more times than I can count.  

About 5 years ago my wife and I knew a couple, both Thai, both with university degrees, both with good jobs, and seemingly a happy marriage.  Then one day he "caught" her texting another man, didn't ask her who it was, or why, but just went totally bat-shit crazy and caved her skull in with a golf club.  Turns out she was talking to her boss about the schedule for the next day. He's now serving time, but will probably be released in a couple of more years. 

Edited by Just1Voice

This "Small Dick" syndrome appears to be spreading throughout Thailand at a rapid rate, I dare say someone should pour gasoline on him and set him alight, but not to extinguish him, straight to hell.....

Edited by 4MyEgo

5 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

It's simple.  Thai men can not take, or handle, ANY type of "rejection", or every accept the fact that they are wrong about something, their sense of "jealousy" is overwhelming, and they will strike out any way they can to anyone, including a wife, who says otherwise.  Been here 9 years, and have see it happen more times than I can count.  

About 5 years ago my wife and I knew a couple, both Thai, both with university degrees, both with good jobs, and seemingly a happy marriage.  Then one day he "caught" her texting another man, didn't ask her who it was, or why, but just went totally bat-shit crazy and caved her skull in with a golf club.  Turns out she was talking to her boss about the schedule for the next day. He's now serving time, but will probably be released in a couple of more years. 

Thanks @Just1Voice, but my question was a bit different. Let me put it another way.

Why the extreme, sometimes lethal violence? I get the jealousy (and have experienced it myself), but I never thought of punching, setting on fire, tossing out a window, knifing, etc. Why is the violence so extreme?

4 minutes ago, Canceraid said:

Why does everybody blame the guy???? What did  the girl do to aggravate him. Oh Please  thai women these days.........find out for yourselves.

It doesn't matter what she has done, setting fire to someone is despicable and deserves the maximum sentence possible, whatever his gripe, there must have been another way of dealing with it, like leaving her maybe ?

If you think it is ok to set fire to somebody, you are as sick as he is.

7 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Thanks @Just1Voice, but my question was a bit different. Let me put it another way.

Why the extreme, sometimes lethal violence? I get the jealousy (and have experienced it myself), but I never thought of punching, setting on fire, tossing out a window, knifing, etc. Why is the violence so extreme?

I understand your question, and my answer is: They simply do not have the social skills necessary to interact with others, including family.  Look at 90% of the families that have both male and female children.  The girls are made to "toe the line", while the boys are free to do what they want without criticisms, or punishment of any kind.  They grow up with this sense of "self importance" and belief they can do no wrong.  They are never taught how to handle normal situations, and any sense of "critical thinking" is a totally alien concept to them.  Not all of them, fortunately, but a large majority of them.  Any form of "stress" and they crack because they can't handle it. 

Edited by Just1Voice

9 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

I understand your question, and my answer is: They simply do not have the social skills necessary to interact with others, including family.  Look at 90% of the families that have both male and female children.  The girls are made to "toe the line", while the boys are free to do what they want without criticisms, or punishment of any kind.  They grow up with this sense of "self importance" and belief they can do no wrong.  They are never taught how to handle normal situations, and any sense of "critical thinking" is a totally alien concept to them.  Not all of them, fortunately, but a large majority of them.  Any form of "stess" and they crack because they can't handle it. 

I get your point, but it is the escalation of the reaction/violence that I still don't get, especially in a nominally Buddhist society. Perhaps it is the culture where I grew up, but my reaction would likely be to go out and get drunk or some other coping mechanism. 

Setting someone on fire (or other lethal reactions) because of a dispute implies that there is no respect whatsoever for life and/or people as individuals. I can't get my head around that.

3 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I get your point, but it is the escalation of the reaction/violence that I still don't get, especially in a nominally Buddhist society. Perhaps it is the culture where I grew up, but my reaction would likely be to go out and get drunk or some other coping mechanism. 

Setting someone on fire (or other lethal reactions) because of a dispute implies that there is no respect whatsoever for life and/or people as individuals. I can't get my head around that.

Buddhism is very different from monotheistic religions in that you get many second chances for redemption, 7 in fact. In Christianity/Judaism/Islam your actions in this life determine your fate in the hereafter forever. Buddhist believe in 7 levels of reincarnation, you have many chances at redemption before your final place. But of course, who knows what level you are at now ?

One of the problems with Thai Buddhism is that they are Theravada Buddhist, who worship Buddha as a god, which is exactly what Buddha told them NOT to do.  He clearly stated to his followers that when he died, DO NOT pray to him, as he was only a man, and not a god.  But they totally ignore that and do it anyway.  I agree with Tonray in that they don't take things serious as they will aways get "another chance", which, to me, tosses out any form of responsibility for their actions in this life, cause they got more coming, so it's no big deal.  About a year and a half ago, my 54 year old Thai wife got exposed to Christianity.  After about two months of that, and being Baptized, she told me - "I can't believe how stupid I was to believe in Thai Buddhism".  I just smiled at her.  

Thailand is a beautiful country, and there are many wonderful people here.  I will be one of the first to state that, but at the same time, they can be some of the most irresponsible and brutal people you will ever meet. 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The husband has initially been charged with assault causing grievous bodily harm, a charge that may be upgraded to attempted murder in time.

With 70% Burns, I suspect that the final charge will be murder. Once you go past 30% the outlook gets grim. I cannot begin to imagine what must have been going through this sick and twisted mind, to do something so horrific. Whatever punishment he gets, it is not enough.

12 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

One of the problems with Thai Buddhism is that they are Theravada Buddhist, who worship Buddha as a god, which is exactly what Buddha told them NOT to do.  He clearly stated to his followers that when he died, DO NOT pray to him, as he was only a man, and not a god.  But they totally ignore that and do it anyway.  I agree with Tonray in that they don't take things serious as they will aways get "another chance", which, to me, tosses out any form of responsibility for their actions in this life, cause they got more coming, so it's no big deal.  About a year and a half ago, my 54 year old Thai wife got exposed to Christianity.  After about two months of that, and being Baptized, she told me - "I can't believe how stupid I was to believe in Thai Buddhism".  I just smiled at her.  

Thailand is a beautiful country, and there are many wonderful people here.  I will be one of the first to state that, but at the same time, they can be some of the most irresponsible and brutal people you will ever meet. 

I agree with the sentiment of your last paragraph.

Even after 25 years in Asia, I will never understand the thought process, even in a fit of rage, whereby setting your wife/girlfriend on fire is permissible. I guess that I am a foreigner in a foreign land.

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Very good question, but is it confined to Thailand or mostly Thailand?

No. Unfortunately It happens in every country.

24 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Very good question, but is it confined to Thailand or mostly Thailand?

No. Unfortunately It happens in every country.

Fair point.

However, this is a forum about Thailand. More importantly, it seems to me that in Thailand there isn't a gradual build up of violence (for want of a better way to put it), but rather a sudden switch to the extreme (see post 6 for example). Perhaps it is the media that I see, but the acceleration of violence here is unique in my experience. And please don't think I am Thai-bashing, I simply am trying to get my head around it.

Usual Thai male reaction. Fly into a murderous insane rage, strike out, want to kill, does the vile deed then suddenly realizes what he's done. So much for all that hogwash about the calm loving Buddhist heart. Pity the poor young woman who will soon die due to this savage and his eggshell ego.

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Thai's live their lives like their soap operas.   Their often child like minds are unable to overcome the angst they seem to thrive on.

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

What is it about Thailand that leads to these kinds of horrors? This is a serious question; when I have fought with a girlfriend, I never thought of setting her on fire. Anyone?

Prayers to the poor woman.

It's about culture and losing face. Just walk away, there are so many beautiful ladies out there waiting for boy friends or husband. 

5 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

I understand your question, and my answer is: They simply do not have the social skills necessary to interact with others, including family.  Look at 90% of the families that have both male and female children.  The girls are made to "toe the line", while the boys are free to do what they want without criticisms, or punishment of any kind.  They grow up with this sense of "self importance" and belief they can do no wrong.  They are never taught how to handle normal situations, and any sense of "critical thinking" is a totally alien concept to them.  Not all of them, fortunately, but a large majority of them.  Any form of "stress" and they crack because they can't handle it. 

That's why the boys grow up to pour gas on their wives!

5 hours ago, tonray said:

Prayers for this young lady and hopes that this guy someday burns in hell.

A wai or 2 its ok they let him go just a misunderstanding he spilt the petrol on her as he was about to top up the car out side  ( sorry thai spelling ) taxi drivers samui rip off non stop thieves all of them im sure chaweng police will find away its ok he's sorry . Terrible low life scum that does that to anyone let him burn  , but its a nanny country now. 

If you leave your home at 8 am in the morning, what are the chances in this country not to run into a sword wielding, gun pointing, road raging, raping or stealing maniac, or become a victim of collapsing constructions before noon?

8 hours ago, Canceraid said:

"Why does everybody blame the guy???? What did  the girl do to aggravate him. Oh Please  thai women these days.........find out for yourselves."

I find it extremely hard to believe that you are serious in making the above comment.  In fact, if you really believe that, in my opinion, you should be locked up already before any girl happens to offend your fragile ego and she too ends up in an inferno.

Really... what did he think the outcome might be, I'm sure he wasn't trying to frighten her a little !!

8 hours ago, Canceraid said: "Why does everybody blame the guy???? What did  the girl do to aggravate him. Oh Please  thai women these days.........find out for yourselves."

I find it extremely hard to believe that you are serious in making the above comment.  In fact, if you really believe that, in my opinion, you should be locked up already before any girl happens to offend your fragile ego and she too ends up in an inferno.

That's a typical comment from Canceraid, he's no different from the perpetrator in incident.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

This "Small Dick" syndrome appears to be spreading throughout Thailand at a rapid rate, I dare say someone should pour gasoline on him and set him alight, but not to extinguish him, straight to hell.....

I agree. an eye for an eye! He would never do it again.