Video: Twenty car owners can't lock cars with their remote keys in Phitsanulok car park

webfact

Video: Twenty car owners can't lock cars with their remote keys in Phitsanulok car park

3am.jpg

Photo: Sanook

PHITSANULOK: -- Twenty car owners found that they could not lock their cars with their remote control keys at a Phitsanulok shopping centre lot.

There were fears that car thieves were behind the incident.

The incident happened to all the vehicles at the same time on Tuesday evening. Security and then the police were alerted.

Some drivers found they could solve the problem by starting the engine.

But most either locked their cars manually or refused to leave them for fear of theft.

Thaivisa notes that such incidents have happened before when car thieves using jamming devices have been blamed.

No vehicles were stolen on this occasion. A video of the event was uploaded to YouTube referring to the event as "strange".

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-09

We had an experience the other day. The wife is selling her car and a guy phoned to come and look at the car. It turned out he was a second hand dealer. He looked at the egine and fiddled around. He offered a very low price and we declined. After he left we tried to lock the car via remote but it refused. I started the car and switched it off again and the remote worked. We never have had that problem before.

I've had that problem a few times, at different locations, but always near a 7/11.  I put it down to the electronics in 7/ll that are used for their ordering machine.  If I hold the remote close to the windscreen, the car locks/unlocks OK.  Perhaps that is a similar problem.

This happened to my friend a few years ago. He locked his car with the remote  in South Pattaya forgot his phone, went back two minutes later, and found that his phone had been stolen from the car. When he pulled up there was a guy sitting across the parking lot and when he went back to his car the guy was gone. So they reckon that the guy had a jammer and he had prevented the door from being locked. The  thing is, that his lights flashed indicating that the doors were locked, but the jammers apparently prevent the mechanism from working. Since then I always check the door handle when I use the remote to lock the door. 

Ive noticed this happens when I park near auto door openers at 7/11s and Tesco's. I just click my remote holding a couple inches from the car receiver and locks ok. 

2 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I will not ever buy newest things with this electronic stuff.  If I have to restore my 1997 buick then I will pay the money to renovate that.  Old fashioned 60 year old engineer

You presumably do not live full time in LOS.   You would not have imported it to drive here at 300+% Duty.  If I could have brought my wife's RAV4 over we would have.   We drive a Thai made Toyota 2.5 Hi Luxe VIGO UTE here  Probably the best vehicle I have ever owned, equal to (but less creature comforts than) the RAV4 and my 3.0 Litre Toyaota Avalon (both sold when we moved here.  The Rav went for a reasonable price but it broke my heart to sell the Avalon at a really low low price.

I own a 2015 Honda HRV. I never use the remote. I use the lock button integrated in the drivers door handle and to unlock, the car has a proxymitty sensor to recognize the key phob just hold any door handle and all doors unlock at the same time then hold brake press start button the select gear and go baby go.

Taking your pickup/car to a good auto electrician can install a simple toggle switch inside, witch switch your remote receiver on and off without tampering witch the key functions. In the event that your pickup/car do not lock with the remote, switch the switch off and lock manually. Now no remote control system works unless you manually open a door and put the switch on.

This happened to me at a village market day near Krasang when my pickup not locked. So be careful out there. I am used to this. I am from South Africa!

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

car thieves use lockjam that deactivates all remote systems,  if the system is deactivated by this illegal system you can lock manually.

Thats correct. This has happened to my Mrs before and all it takes to jam while you are trying lock is someone else with the same brand vehicle remote. We tested this as I had a Toyota Fortuna at the time and held down the lock button on my remote. The Mrs couldn't lock her Toyota Camry by her remote. Pays to double check if you are walking away from your car and trying to lock by remote.

1 hour ago, The Deerhunter said:

You presumably do not live full time in LOS.   You would not have imported it to drive here at 300+% Duty.  If I could have brought my wife's RAV4 over we would have.   We drive a Thai made Toyota 2.5 Hi Luxe VIGO UTE here  Probably the best vehicle I have ever owned, equal to (but less creature comforts than) the RAV4 and my 3.0 Litre Toyaota Avalon (both sold when we moved here.  The Rav went for a reasonable price but it broke my heart to sell the Avalon at a really low low price.

It's such hard work and so old fashioned to turn a key and have to check that the door is actually locked. And heaven forbid the circuitry should fail.:thumbsup:

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

car thieves use lockjam that deactivates all remote systems,  if the system is deactivated by this illegal system you can lock manually.

Jammers are used in Europe to steal cars since a long time. And nice cars cannot be locked manually, at least easily...

Edited by bangkokairportlink

2 hours ago, Khunbilly said:

This happened to my friend a few years ago. He locked his car with the remote  in South Pattaya forgot his phone, went back two minutes later, and found that his phone had been stolen from the car. When he pulled up there was a guy sitting across the parking lot and when he went back to his car the guy was gone. So they reckon that the guy had a jammer and he had prevented the door from being locked. The  thing is, that his lights flashed indicating that the doors were locked, but the jammers apparently prevent the mechanism from working. Since then I always check the door handle when I use the remote to lock the door. 

Lights should not  flash and no beep should be heard.

1 hour ago, The Deerhunter said:

Vigo the farmer car a good car hahahaha

But you are right, maybe as good what you had before...

4 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I will not ever buy newest things with this electronic stuff.  If I have to restore my 1997 buick then I will pay the money to renovate that.  Old fashioned 60 year old engineer

Inefficient old tub with poor brakes,economy,handling ,reliability,emissions  and safety by comparison with new cars. True Luddite;-).

5 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Yeah, it's much better to use the old style locks, which can be opened even faster 555. New fashioned 49 year old electronics engineer. 

But then again, who would want to steal a 1997 Buick :passifier:

36 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Vigo the farmer car a good car hahahaha

But you are right, maybe as good what you had before...

We ARE farmers hahahaha (and other things too)  Wife has another business.  Busy life.

My car has keyless entry... 

Key is in your pocket (or usually Wife's hardback), once you are within 50cm of the car you simply touch an area of the handle for the car to lock or unlock, you see and feel the car lock or unlock.

If it doesn't lock, for whatever reason, you will notice. 

I'm not sure how easy this keyless entry is to 'Jam'... but it really makes life extremely convenient. 

------

This story definitely seems like a case of 'Jammers' in use, in such a situation I too wouldn't leave my car.

That said, how many stories such as this do we read ? this is the first one although I'm aware of Jammers, so its not exactly uncommon. I'd still prefer my new car over a 20 year old model which lacks many of the modern safety features. 

Also, one point that has been overlooked. Older cars were much easier to break into and steal which is why we have the evolution to this 'electronic stuff'.... 

59 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

It's such hard work and so old fashioned to turn a key and have to check that the door is actually locked. And heaven forbid the circuitry should fail.:thumbsup:

And add a steering  or pedal lock too. They can steal anything any time if they really want to. Only a second or two to arm or remove.   Your job is to make stealing your car unattractive.

1 hour ago, Catkiwi said:

Thats correct. This has happened to my Mrs before and all it takes to jam while you are trying lock is someone else with the same brand vehicle remote. We tested this as I had a Toyota Fortuna at the time and held down the lock button on my remote. The Mrs couldn't lock her Toyota Camry by her remote. Pays to double check if you are walking away from your car and trying to lock by remote.

Rule#1: Always check if doors are really locked before walking away.

Was it an old camry? Almost all recent cars have remotes with a rolling code which matches to the car and changes constantly. It would be very coincidental if the 2 remotes have the same code at the same moment. In the past thieves could catch your code, then copy the key and use it. Now they can just jam it and open your car if the owner is too stupid to check the doors before walk away. 

Anyway, no matter what security system: if they want your car they WILL steal it. And nobody looks anymore if an alarm goes off. 

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

My car has keyless entry... 

Key is in your pocket (or usually Wife's hardback), once you are within 50cm of the car you simply touch an area of the handle for the car to lock or unlock, you see and feel the car lock or unlock.

If it doesn't lock, for whatever reason, you will notice. 

I'm not sure how easy this keyless entry is to 'Jam'... but it really makes life extremely convenient. 

------

This story definitely seems like a case of 'Jammers' in use, in such a situation I too wouldn't leave my car.

That said, how many stories such as this do we read ? this is the first one although I'm aware of Jammers, so its not exactly uncommon. I'd still prefer my new car over a 20 year old model which lacks many of the modern safety features. 

Also, one point that has been overlooked. Older cars were much easier to break into and steal which is why we have the evolution to this 'electronic stuff'.... 

Is becoming more common in Thailand.  Several instances of no-one able to lock their cars.   Same carpark once before too, I think.