old English gents are you worried

On 12.06.2017 at 2:54 AM, theoldgit said:

Whilst it's good to see that many of us with incomes from the UK aren't unduly concerned over the prospect of further massive reductions in the value of Sterling, some people are, many of whom are really beginning to feel the pinch.

Whilst most of my closer friends have no immediate plans to change their lifestyle, some have no option but to do so, three of my closest friends have reached the tipping point and are planning to return to the UK in the coming weeks

return to the UK? Kindly allow me to ask why? would the cost of living nevertheless not be lower in Thailand, despite the plunge of the £???

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Councils could always sell properties and quite a lot were sold in the 70s but it mushroomed when the Thatcher government introduced the legal right to buy. There were some restrictions initially but the were never upheld. In 2005 the legislation had to be altered to prevent properties being immediately put on the open market and the previous owner was to have first right of refusal.

The other problem was that properties could be run down by the tenant to influence the market value. I believe that the discount was increased to 60 % a couple of years ago.

I also had an ex council 2 bed terrace on the outskirts of Sheffield, moved to a 2 bed bungalow on the outskirts of Chonburi.

And you believe that was an improvement.

8 hours ago, nontabury said:

A low cost army,that has never been tested, relying instead on other countries taxpayers to guarantee their neutrality. Thus enabling them to become the bankers  to all the despots of the world. P.S. How much money and gold from the concentration camp victims is still in the Swiss vaults?

Agree with you on the Swiss version of democracy. That by the referendum. We in the UK tried that in 2016, unfortunately some Remoaners are still refusing to accept the democratic will of the people.

How much money from WW2 victims in Swiss banks?

One could be tempted to say about 1/10 of the amount compared to British Tax Havens ranging from the Caymans, Jersey, Isle of Man, BOT's, British Virgin Islands, Bermuda and so on..... that host a remarkable array of global drug/mafia kingpin "family savings schemes" that make Swiss Banks currently seem like a bunch of piggy banks!!:cheesy::cheesy::sorry:

9 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

How much money from WW2 victims in Swiss banks?

One could be tempted to say about 1/10 of the amount compared to British Tax Havens ranging from the Caymans, Jersey, Isle of Man, BOT's, British Virgin Islands, Bermuda and so on..... that host a remarkable array of global drug/mafia kingpin "family savings schemes" that make Swiss Banks currently seem like a bunch of piggy banks!!:cheesy::cheesy::sorry:

Are you saying those banks, are holding valuables belonging to those who finished up in the concentration camps. Same as the Swiss banks.

1 minute ago, nontabury said:

Are you saying those banks, are holding valuables belonging to those who finished up in the concentration camps. Same as the Swiss banks.

And are you saying that money from drugs, crime etc.in British offshore banks, is something to pretend to ignore?

On 6/12/2017 at 2:07 PM, nontabury said:

I'm just relieved that Corbyn did't get in. If he had,where would the £ be now?

I read somewhere that if Corbyn had got in he was going to start giving the state pensioners their annual increases.

But knowing Labours reputation with broken promises, I would not have read too much into that.

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

return to the UK? Kindly allow me to ask why? would the cost of living nevertheless not be lower in Thailand, despite the plunge of the £???

and all that wind and rain as well.:mad:

5 hours ago, observer90210 said:

In the UK one pound is still worth exactly one pound, and can buy a decent amount of provisions (especially in places like Aldi and Lidl).

Also, free health care, subsidised housing, and other state benefits.

I am fortunate enough to be living in Thailand with a pension income from the UK which is more than sufficient for my needs. However, those living on state pension or on savings might be much better off returning to the UK (at least temporarily).

Of course, the cost of living in Thailand can be incredibly low if you need it to be - but not everyone can live at that level (not me anyway).

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

In the UK one pound is still worth exactly one pound, and can buy a decent amount of provisions (especially in places like Aldi and Lidl).

I am fortunate enough to be living in Thailand with a pension income from the UK which is more than sufficient for my needs. However, those living on state pension or on savings might be much better off returning to the UK (at least temporarily).

Of course, the cost of living in Thailand can be incredibly low if you need it to be - but not everyone can live at that level (not me anyway).

I see your point. On further assuming that those who chose to leave did buy properties, they would be put back in the market and inflate some sort of a real estate bubble, if it's not already along....not so bright for the Thai economy in that case??

11 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

"Cost of living" - a bit like how long is a piece of string.

2 hours ago, nontabury said:

Attercliffe or Chon Buri.

I see, you are being personal, nothing to do with council houses. Obviously guessing, I lived in Deepcar and yes, my 2 bed bungalow that I designed and had built is vast improvement on my 2 bed terrace.

day78_1.JPG

Archived