Trump still standing, but damaged by Comey's testimony

webfact

1 hour ago, jb61 said:

Liberal MSNBC host Chris Matthews said Thursday the accusation that President Trump directly colluded with Russia to interfere in the U.S. election "came apart" following former FBI Director James Comey's testimony in front of Congress.

Yes there was collusion---but not with Trump and the Russians----it was between Comey, Lynch, Hillary and more than likely Obama....this investigation is about to take a much different turn than the Democrats expected.

Wow. Just can't let go of Clinton, can you? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Your boy won, Clinton lost. Get over it already! Oh, and no, they're not through asking questions about the gerbil headed miscreant yet.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Traveler19491 said:

Oh, and no, they're not through asking questions about the gerbil headed miscreant yet.

most of us loyal supporters know that that the plan is to tie him up with time wasting questions for the next 8 years.

he know this too. This chicanery will soon be at an end.

Here's a likely more even-handed account of the day that unfolded and what to make of it, courtesy of the NYT:

Rather than relieve the pressure, Mr. Trump’s decision to fire Mr. Comey has generated an even bigger political and legal threat. In his anger at Mr. Comey for refusing to publicly disclose that the president was not personally under investigation, legal experts said, Mr. Trump may have actually made himself the target of an investigation.

While delivered in calm, deliberate and unemotional terms, Mr. Comey’s testimony on Thursday was almost certainly the most damning j’accuse moment by a senior law enforcement official against a president in a generation. In a Capitol Hill hearing room, the astonishing tableau unfolded of a former F.B.I. director accusing the White House of “lies, plain and simple” and asserting that when the president suggested dropping an investigation into his former national security adviser, “I took it as a direction.”

Mr. Comey gave ammunition to the president’s side, too, particularly by admitting that he had orchestrated the leak of his account of his most critical meeting with Mr. Trump with the express purpose of spurring the appointment of a special counsel, which he accomplished. The president’s defenders said Mr. Comey had proved Mr. Trump was right when he called the former F.B.I. director a “showboat” and a “grandstander,” a conclusion Democrats once shared when he was investigating Hillary Clinton last year.

But Mr. Comey also revealed that he had turned over memos of his conversations with Mr. Trump to that newly appointed special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, suggesting that investigators may now be looking into whether Mr. Trump obstructed justice by dismissing the F.B.I. director.

“This was a devastating day for the Trump White House, and when the history of the Trump presidency is written, this will be seen as a key moment,” said Peter H. Wehner, who was White House adviser to President George W. Bush. “My takeaway is James Comey laid out facts and was essentially encouraging Mueller to investigate Trump for obstruction. That’s a huge deal.”

9 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

So far, in fact since his election, and before, we've heard accusations about inappropriate links with Russia, but NOBODy has turned up any actual evidence.  

The opposition to his presidency has had seven or eight months to turn up some real evidence, but failed to do so, so isn't it about time, in the absence of that evidence, that the accusation be put out to pasture??  

Seriously.

So, you're ready to make the decision without hearing all the evidence or completing the investigation. My how naive.

51 minutes ago, smotherb said:

So, you're ready to make the decision without hearing all the evidence or completing the investigation. My how naive.

Some evidence could be classified.  We might have to wait for the WikiLeaks edition.  :sad:

It is quite obvious that the author of the article did not listen to any of the testimony. There is a possibility that the editor did read over the reports by underlings while enjoying a couple fifths of brandy and a few grams of opium.

2 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

most of us loyal supporters know that that the plan is to tie him up with time wasting questions for the next 8 years.

Yep.

As stated in the other thread.  A nothing burger with a side order of Soros.

Given that you still support him after all his u-turns, I think you should call yourself "blindly loyal supporters."

8 minutes ago, fatdrunkandstupid said:

Yep.

As stated in the other thread.  A nothing burger with a side order of Soros.

As asked for and never answered on another thread, what is the connection to Soros? Facts please.

I don't know if you're old enough to remember "The Perry Como Show", but he had an interesting theme song..."Dream Along With Me". Seems apropos to your ridiculous comment.

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

As asked for and never answered on another thread, what is the connection to Soros? Facts please.

Soros is nothing more than their catch-all boogeyman. When compared to the scores of uber-rich conservatives, Soros is nothing more than a gnat next to a golden eagle. Interesting that they never whine about the multitudes of conservative billionaires out to buy our democracy.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/04/a-guide-to-the-billionaires-bankrolling-the-gop-candidates/391233/

3 hours ago, Thakkar said:

McCain seemed to be saying that Clinton cooperated with the Russians that instigated her email scandal so that she could loose the election to Trump so that everyone could then blame Trump for cooperating with the Russians so that Trump would be impeached.

Have I got it right?

He then reportedly went on to say, "I knew J Edgar Hoover. J. Edgar Hoover was a friend of mine. Comey's no J Edgar Hoo... Wait, who's Comey again? Did he bring any cake?"

You are right.  I watched the whole 2 hours and 43 minutes nd when McCain starting questioning Comey I wondered what in the hell he was on. I have heard they did smoke a lot whilst in Vietnam.:stoner::wai:

48 minutes ago, nemrut said:

...not sure what's more frightening, that this clown is commander-in-chief of most powerful military in the world or that so many white Americans voted for him.

You're frightened of white Americans?  They won't hurt you, as long as you don't play any rap music.

Edited by rijb
typo

I keep wondering if Trumps remarks to Comey about letting the investigation go might have been in reference to Flynn's discussions of sanctions which Flynn claimed did not happen.  On Jan 13 Flynn and Kislyak have discussions and sanctions are evidently discussed.  Jan 26 Yates tells White House Flynn misrepresented facts of Kislyak discussions and issue of sanctions. Feb 10 Flynn apologizes to Pence for misleading him. Feb 13 Flynn resigns.  Feb 14th Trump and Comey meet and Trump says he hopes Investigation goes away.  Seems to me Trump thinks, okay Flynn gone and air is clean with regards to the discussions and the sanctions issue and end of matter.  Trump not thinking about Flynn's associations with RT or Turkey which seems like have not been brought to the forefront by Comey or the Justice Department at this point.  Those issues seem to be come important after Flynn leaves the White House.  Comey certainly probably knew more about Flynn and the FBI investigation that he every told Trump so my question is why is Comey so surprised about Trump's comment when it may be doubtful that Trump had knowledge that the FBI investigation maybe was going further than just the sanctions issue and Flynn's misleading Pence.  That's the question I would like to see the answer too.

OP: "I think the situation is getting much more serious for Mr. Trump,” said Jon Bond, a political science professor at Texas A&M University.

I think the situation is much worse for Mr. Comey after he incriminated himself as a leaker of internal government information and someone willing to invoke a euphemism ("matter") for the criminal investigation of Hillary of as demanded by the, then, Attorney General Lynch. An obvious tool of Obama and Lynch.

The political science professor and a lot of (other?) leftist, Trump Derangement Syndrome victims and the mainstream media had better get over it. Soon.

This anti-Trump mania has gone one too long already.

16 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

OP: "I think the situation is getting much more serious for Mr. Trump,” said Jon Bond, a political science professor at Texas A&M University.

I think the situation is much worse for Mr. Comey after he incriminated himself as a leaker of internal government information and someone willing to invoke a euphemism ("matter") for the criminal investigation of Hillary of as demanded by the, then, Attorney General Lynch. An obvious tool of Obama and Lynch.

The political science professor and a lot of (other?) leftist, Trump Derangement Syndrome victims and the mainstream media had better get over it. Soon.

This anti-Trump mania has gone one too long already.

Nope. 

Comey is not in trouble. 

trump is.

Big trouble. 

Trump Hands Comey a New Weapon

Having accused the former FBI director of perjury, the president now must prove it—or surrender his credibility.

Trump’s version of the story does not make sense. His charge of perjury is laughable. He is losing his grasp on the narrative, unintentionally ceding it to Comey. Thursday’s testimony may not have been damaging enough to be the definite end for Trump. But the president’s inability to mount a plausible defense to Comey’s astonishing claims is incredibly damning. Trump is in trouble. And, for perhaps the first time in his life, disgorging more lies won’t help him deflect the blame.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2017/06/trump_s_claims_that_comey_lied_under_oath_put_him_in_a_pickle.html

22 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Thanks for the link to the totally unbiased, quasi-news site. I did read the article and ... well ... Good Luck, Mr. Comey, but shouldn't you be looking for a new position (or did you somehow get independently wealthy?)? 

BTW, Jingthing you should consistently capitalize proper nouns and learn how to use text-anchored hyperlinks, to allow you to more easily better document your embedded hyperlinks. In search of excellence, right?

PS: It would be a real dilemma for me to determine who, between Trump and Comey, would be telling the truth about who said what when they were alone. I say throw them into an empty conference room, lock the door and let them duke it out.

Edited by MaxYakov

18 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

The opposition to his presidency has had seven or eight months to turn up some real evidence, but failed to do so, so isn't it about time, in the absence of that evidence, that the accusation be put out to pasture??  

Seriously.

No, it is not the job of the opposition to come up with evidence but the job of the FBI and now the Special Prosecutor Mueller.  According to Comey there was Russian meddling in the election process.  There were contacts made, several in fact, by Trump campaign team members as well as Trump transition team members with known Russian intelligence folks. An FBI investigation was underway.  Trump fired the FBI director to alter that investigation.  So why exactly would you want to put this all out to pasture apart from the extreme embarrassment it causes Trump supporters for supporting such an embarrassing individual.

19 hours ago, Berkshire said:

You've been reading too much right wing nonsense.  Comey leaked his own memos and was very careful not to leak classified info.  You're barking up the wrong tree. 

Indeed; thanks. Wouldn't it be helpful if 45 defenders were a bit more informed a/b facts/reality? Seems like so many just regurgitate crap. Ah but I guess crap in/crap out.

8 hours ago, rijb said:

Some evidence could be classified.  We might have to wait for the WikiLeaks edition.  :sad:

Could be classified? Did you not know a closed congressional session on Comey's testimony was held that afternoon, or hear the numerous times questions put to Comey were slotted for further discussion during the closed session?

5 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Could be classified? Did you not know a closed congressional session on Comey's testimony was held that afternoon, or hear the numerous times questions put to Comey were slotted for further discussion during the closed session?

Yes.  I even have electricity and indoor toilets.

I'm talking about when, if ever, classified evidence might be provided to the public.