Moved router and now PC will not connect with internet

karenmw460

A few days ago I moved my router from office room to living room as I needed it nearer to my set top box (which I'm using for  iptv and  was having a lot of buffering.)

This solved the buffering problem, but now my PC (in office room) will no longer connect to internet either by cable or wifi (previously did both). 

All other devices are connecting even if not in the same room as the router (laptop, iPad , phones etc). 

All I did when moving the router was use a longer telephone cable i.e. It's still connected to the same line etc. We have a splitter and I simply changed the short telephone cable to a longer one. 

If I move the router back into the office my PC will connect to wifi. (It will no longer connect by cable, but I'm not really bothered that - just would like wifi connection )

I can't figure out what the problem could be. Any advice much appreciated 

If the pc connects to the router by wifi when they are both in the same room but won't when you move the router to another room then it could be something as simple as the signal strength.

If I move the router back into the office my PC will connect to wifi. (It will no longer connect by cable, 

WiFi problem seems like a signal strength issue.

Cable problem - Did you try connecting with another cable known to be good?

Sounds like signal strength, when you problem is wifi, and solved when moving the router back to it's original position. Solution may be: Better antenna; or a new router with stronger signal; or a repeater...

My Hitachi laptop had trouble connecting to the local wifi. It had a bad/poor internal antennae. Solution was a 'usb PC WiFi adaptor'. You may want to see one on Amazon or research one on the search function.

21 minutes ago, karenmw460 said:

Thanks for the replies.  I'm not sure that signal strength could be the problem as the laptop in the same room as my pc connects via wifi whether the router is in the same room or the other room. 

That's not an indication that your signal is good as the Laptop probably has a better wifi radio and receives signals better than the PC.

19 hours ago, karenmw460 said:

Ok.  Thanks. So I'll try to get a USB adapter and see if that helps. 

There is a bit more to it than that. You should really try and check what standards are being used. My suspicion is that the router is using 'n' and the laptop is set to 'n'  but the PC if a bit old may only be capable of 'b & g'. It could however be that the PC has been set to 'b & g' even though 'n' is available.

You can get information on how to check by google wifi adapter settings. 

If you buy a new adapter you would need to make sure it was set up correctly or you may not be any better off.

As an alternative to an adapter, you can get larger antennae for the router, you only need one. I bought a 9 inch one for my router and that can be picked up 30 metres away. That is a very simple alteration without any setting up. I forget how much but not a great deal.