Family opens doors to tourists to help boys learn English

webfact

1 hour ago, brucec64 said:

I was replying to the previous poster who stated:

"  1 hour ago, boorsd said:

As it would appear that they are Thai, I don't  think they will need work permits.

I can't believe that even with a very good "feel good" story that it is still possible for some posters to turn it into something negative."

I pointed out that the tutors were not thai, and would be subject to work permit laws.

They are NOT tutors but guests staying at a family house, and as they are not teaching English but merely having conversations, why would they need a work permit?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, brucec64 said:

I was replying to the previous poster who stated:

"  1 hour ago, boorsd said:

As it would appear that they are Thai, I don't  think they will need work permits.

I can't believe that even with a very good "feel good" story that it is still possible for some posters to turn it into something negative."

I pointed out that the tutors were not thai, and would be subject to work permit laws.

Is bartering subject to this kind of law, though?

But, I am sure some  rich Thais might kill that idea fast. Surely, many know that they have the upper hand when their kids can speak English after they have gone to foreigner-filled private schools.

3 hours ago, hobobo said:

Just make sure that you don't let your kids learn English from Russian tourists!

By the way this Swiss tourist's name being Yasmina, who knows if she does not speaks English with a Swiss/Germanic accent tinted with an original North African one, then memorised by a Thai learner the result could be.... interesting :smile:

Is bartering subject to this kind of law, though?

But, I am sure some  rich Thais might kill that idea fast. Surely, many know that they have the upper hand when their kids can speak English after they have gone to foreigner-filled private schools.

The law does not depend on any payments received, whether cash or barter, to be considered work. Even volunteers have been charged with work permit violations.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

This could get very interesting.

What if a Thai school/university makes a free guesthouse for foreigners so their students can conversate with them?

Groups of backpackers travelling from free guesthouse to the next one where groups of thai kids are waiting for them.

Could be a win-win situation...they won't get cheaper english teachers than that.

6 minutes ago, fruitman said:

This could get very interesting.

What if a Thai school/university makes a free guesthouse for foreigners so their students can conversate with them?

Groups of backpackers travelling from free guesthouse to the next one where groups of thai kids are waiting for them.

Could be a win-win situation...they won't get cheaper english teachers than that.

I agree.

Conversate? Converse is fine. LOL

The only concern I would have would be the safety of students (and foreigners too, falsely accused of whatever). Would need to have cameras or an adult with kids present, as this would be perfect places for pedos to do their dirty deed.  

19 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

The law does not depend on any payments received, whether cash or barter, to be considered work. Even volunteers have been charged with work permit violations.

Shame! Real shame! This could be a real game changer. They could also stop dubbing foreign languages. Tutoring agencies are knocking at the premier's door as I write, I am sure. Capitalism and corruption working hard soon at a neighbourhood near you!

5 hours ago, Ebony19 said:

I believe mr PM and his military are observing!! I smell work permit enforcement:spamsign:

Think they are Thais so they need a work permit? or a contract? Probably better than many who supposedly teach the subject at schools

Edited by jwest10

26 minutes ago, billd766 said:

They are NOT tutors but guests staying at a family house, and as they are not teaching English but merely having conversations, why would they need a work permit?

This is a very valid point, though one should always remember that in Thailand, an ounce of common sense, is found much less regularly, than a bunch of money hungry immigration officials. with their hands out.

4 minutes ago, wvavin said:

Oh......slapping right on the face of those educational ministry's fat cats with this brilliant method of learning English. Keep it up!

Yes, the problem at many schools are the so - called Directors and Head of Department for English think that they know it all and

are very arrogant indeed and some also think that they are superior to everyone.  Some of the Directors just want bums on seats that is all and many appear to be decades at one school and a nice cushy number at that.

Edited by jwest10

12 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

Yes, the problem at many schools are the so - called Directors and Head of Department for English think that they know it all and

are very arrogant indeed and some also think that they are superior to everyone.  Some of the Directors just want bums on seats that is all and many appear to be decades at one school and a nice cushy number at that.

Thai or foreigner?

4 hours ago, Muggi1968 said:

And teachers certificate that require a 20 week training...

But beside this it is great.

Personally I many times say no to help families with learning English because I want to stay out of trouble with the local school who is very protective.

But that is the way Thai law want  it... :sorry:

Sadly, I have also rejected multiple requests to teach English one on one to kids as requested by their " how much do you want?" Parents because I also value my freedom to reside in LoS and when I or the current Mrs D Lord explain about work permits, teaching certs and repercussions, we are met with incredulity and disbelief

in the last request the father brought his 21 year old daughter to meet me to see how good ( or not) her grasp and confidence was he spent nearly all the time watching me as if I was some sexual predator after his daughter. At one point some somchai turns up tells the father in Thai ( thinking we could either not hear or understand him) not to use the farang as we could not be trusted. Then how much was I charging? Did he take my fingerprints and passport / ID copy in case of rape etc. 

End of meeting, thanks and bye bye. 

You cannot help help those who do not want to be helped.

oh and BTW my English was learned at one of the better public schools in the UK followed by Officer training and seven years as a Navy officer and remains accentless. 

Edited by The Dark Lord
Spelling bee

How has this been turnedinto yet another WP thread pathetic. So when a tourist comes on holiday and talks to a thai for a period of time over his holiday in English and the Thai  picks up some English from the conversations the WP brigade are now saying you need a WP. Get real people

6 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

Sadly, I have also rejected multiple requests to teach English one on one to kids as requested by their " how much do you want?" Parents because I also value my freedom to reside in LoS and when I or the current Mrs D Lord explain about work permits, teaching cents and repercussions, we are met with incredulity.

in the last request the father brought his 21 year old daughter to meet me to see how good ( or not) her grasp and confidence was he spent nearly all the time watching me as if I was some sexual predator after his daughter.at one point some simchai turns up tells the father in Thai ( thinking we could either not hear or understand him) not to use the farang as we could not be trusted. Then how much was I charging? Did he take my fingerprints in case of rape etc. 

End of meeting, thanks and bye bye. 

You cannot help help those who do not want to be helped.

oh and BTW my English was learned at one of the better public schools in the UK followed by Officer training and seven years as a Navy officer and remains accentless. 

There is a deep-set culture about foreigners, which might be justified as it is embellished to make Thais look like angels. It happens in all cultures. It looks like humans are wired to dislike differences. Some humans.

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist

God forbid that a male tourist takes female company for his two weeks holiday and she learns some English deported and blacklisted forever naughty tourist not for having boom boom but teaching without a WP. 

1 minute ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

There is a deep-set culture about foreigners, which might be justified as it is embellished to make Thais look like angels. It happens in all cultures. It looks humans are wired to dislike differences. Some humans.

Indeed my friend, so why risk the ire of the authorities who are well known and documented to interpret the laws as they like. We have one learned member accusing posters of turning the issue into a WP discussion but as has been posted by much more learned members than he or I, you can theoretically come a cropper under the WP law for cleaning your own car or painting your "own home" so why risk it all to help someone who on a whim could turn you in. 

I am not saying don't do it, I am saying I will not do it. 

I feel sorry for Thailand and Thai kids. They have been sold the "English is taught by Europeans " scam for decades. The country has invested heavily into the "native speaker" nonsense and has nothing to show for it. These kids don't need to babysit backpackers. They should listen to their teachers, read the books they have and watch as much English programming as they can. They don't need 'native speakers' and certainly don't need backpackers. On a more serious note the parents should make sure the backpackers shower regularly. 

Just now, SirBuwanaDogbossKing said:

the most dangerous posters are the ones that are completely ignorant in respect to the subject matter they wish to advise us of. Go and educate yourself in respect to Thai labour law before you profess to know what you are talking about..........................can't clean your car or paint your house without a work permit........... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look up the meaning of "theoretically" then come back to me with your ridicule. 

7 hours ago, fruitman said:

Great! I think the best way to teach the kids english is by letting them speak to foreigners.

But will travellers who stay there have to report the address to the police as their place of stay? 

unless  the lady has a work permit as teacher and has an adress in Thailand  its unlawful  even to teach one kid to learn English outside  a  accredited  school, eccept it is  a relative ( of the Missus) sorry  state of......

Ithink most posters on here live in gated Farang villages,and not aware that you can 

in theory be taken "in"and explain why you have not employed a Thai painter, or a Car 

wash,had a friend 'taken " from his bar for Meeting and greeting, ( shaking hands )

the solution was quite expensive, as I remember 50.000bht,...............

<<<<Previously removed post edited out of reply>>>>

36 minutes ago, KBsinter said:

Ithink most posters on here live in gated Farang villages,and not aware that you can 

in theory be taken "in"and explain why you have not employed a Thai painter, or a Car 

wash,had a friend 'taken " from his bar for Meeting and greeting, ( shaking hands )

the solution was quite expensive, as I remember 50.000bht,...............

AAH , farang bashing again, without farangs/tourists / pensionists Thailand  would be very poor indeed ( financially at least)

a farang standing  on the  wrong side of the bar talking to customers  can be seen as promoting the  venture and that's work too, happens to a friend of mine who's wife owns the bar, he was pulled-in for questioning by the FUZZ

Edited by metisdead
Prevously removed post edited out of reply.

law is not based on theory it is based on fact, and the FACT is you can legally paint YOUR house and clean YOUR car. What you CANNOT do is paint the house or clean the car of others whether paid or not...FACT. Like I stated in my previous post go educate your self before making incorrect statements.

I agree.

And by extension, can't teach English to other peoples children without a work permit, which is what many posters are alluding to.

7 hours ago, mok199 said:
thai is an extremely hard language to write ..its sad to see children struggle with such a limited ,primmitve language...if they spent half as much time on English..but this is Thailand...keep them dumb and under the thumb....im ready and waiting for the backlash...

If you think Thai is hard to write you must find English astronomically difficult! Thai is phonetically regular so it's pretty simple. English on the other hand: rough, tough, through, plough, dough. :blink:

And if you're speaking of the actual characters being difficult well that just depends on what you learnt first: forming a "d" is no easier than forming a "<snip>" for example. ;)

Edited by metisdead
Thai language removed.

6 hours ago, NextStationBangkok said:

Myth in Thailand is, all white looking are looked as Gods and Godess of English!

Until that mentality is there, Thailand will never out from English crisis.

You look the way Singaporeans, Filipinos speaks English. They are far better than Thais. I don't think they are all learning from white skin foreigners.

Isn't English one of the official languages of Singapore?...I would be worried if they didn't speak it better than Thais. Not to mention it is probably the best education system in the world. Philippines obviously have had the Americans there for a long time now. Thai has made a conservative effort to keep outsiders out. 

Wasn't there a study of Thai English teachers that found only 3% are fluent, and 40% know enough of the basics to be able to teach it. Leaving 57% of English teachers with no idea (we have all met them). I think that is why Thai believe 'white' people are Gods of English, because they know how bad Thai teachers are. Those sort of statistics are not found in Singapore or the Philippines due to their past choices. 

I don't agree that 'whites' are Gods of English (some shockers out there), but I also don't agree that the current Thai English teachers are capable of anything.

The issue is not white vs Thai. it is timetabling (how often English is taught), and how it is taught. No fundamentals, just forcing kids to learn a speech for a competition, whilst every other kid in the room has to listen to one kid try and remember words he has no understanding of for a month, 

Edited by wildewillie89

I guess a lot of you guys can't comprehend just how hard it is to learn English for Thai or Chinese people. Starts with pronouciation and they find tenses and prepositions extremely difficult as they don't use them in Thai. They have to learn everything by heart, that's why you mostly only hear the literal translation from TH to EN which is essentially bar girl English.

IMO the best way to study English is watching TV with subtitles. Did it for me and seems to work well. Nordic countries (except Finland) all have their TV programmes subbed and they all speak excellent English.

5 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

Hey smartypants read this;

SA KAEW: -- Sa Kaew immigration police arrested three Chinese men at a rented house on Sunday and seized 500 iPhones and almost 10,000 SIM cards on suspicion that they might be operating a transnational call-centre scam.

However, police then determined that they were working to generate “likes” and webpage views promoting online goods, but they still faced charges including working in the county without permission.

And that has to do with having an english speaking guest staying with you how exactly.

Now do as promised trot on.