Video: Policeman unfazed as motorist hands over "red Driving License"

webfact

12 minutes ago, Grubster said:

They don't offer to take bribes here anymore and that right lane incident is the only time I have been charged for something I felt I didn't do. I have 180,000 kms on the roads in Thailand and have never been accused of doing something I didn't do. I have been stopped at least 100 times, mostly to check papers and license, but probably have paid 15 tickets too. I'm not sure all my speeding tickets were legit, but I can't say. I was much happier with the two hundred baht and go method.

Yeah, I understand. 

I have been stopped 100 plus time. Sometimes will be stopped 4 times on one drive to another city. Technically I have received two fines, one for not having the new registration sticker (asked for the paper fine - Uncle (boss of police in city so he dealt with it) - usually it should have been a warning. Second was a camera fine in next city (got dealt with again). Other times in other cities, the Mrs got us off the countless speeding by flashing her government card, but with highway patrol I just ask for the photo. Yeah, they say you have been radioed back by our man hiding with the speed camera, but I just ask them to show me the photo. Just say if you have no evidence how can you fine me. They get so confused with all the evidence talk, then they have one eye watching all the money making cars drive past whilst they waste time talking to some stupid farang...so they just let you go. 

I am trying to see how long i can go in Thailand without having to pay any bribe to any department lol.

Edited by wildewillie89

On 6/12/2017 at 11:25 AM, the guest said:

When you witness images like this, it is apparent there is something seriously wrong with the country. 

Indeed I'm from America and we have no such corruption there.  Of course we do have stuff like this though.

Early estimates are that the rate manipulation scandal cost US states, counties, and local governments at least $6 billion in fraudulent interest payments, above $4 billion that state and local governments have already had to spend to unwind their positions exposed to rate manipulation.

It is estimated that the manipulation of Libor cost municipalities at least $6 billion. These losses were in addition to $4 billion that localities had already paid to unwind backfiring interest rate swaps.[64]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libor_scandal

The nerve of that cop taking 100 bhat.  It's outrageous really.

• 11 months later...
On 6/12/2017 at 11:22 AM, observer90210 said:

The junta should implement the following:

- increase the salary of street police officers

- any cop caught for corruption should be straighforward sacked and not just transferred

- use foreigners as informants to trap corrupt officials

Corruption will destroy Thailand on the short run as tourists and expats who bring in money are getting really fed up with being asked for tea money to get the job done! Thailand will loose millions as foreigners will take their money to other. It's really time to put a Stop to all this corrupt shit!

Its even simpler, they are way overstaffed, half  the force double the salary and would suggest quartering the  upper  ranks.

Edited by kannot

1 hour ago, kannot said:

Its even simpler, they are way overstaffed, half  the force double the salary and would suggest quartering the  upper  ranks.

So long as it's only the good guys left, but that's unlikely as the lunchboxes from the bag guys will over-trump the good guys meaning the baddies will now double their take home back-handers. 

On 6/12/2017 at 10:32 AM, Dave67 said:

Myself and my wife had the same . Taxi driver had to give policeman a 100 baht the policeman had a right go at the driver. as we pulled of my wife and the driver started laughing. Apparently the policeman told the driver not to give money to him front of a Farang again as they would think all Thai police were corrupt

Or even worse, the farang would learn that there are places where taxi drivers have to pay the police to pick up passengers and avoid these places in the future.

• Sad 1

On 6/6/2018 at 7:19 AM, kannot said:

What makes you think that a country which has less police per population than most of Europe and only slightly more than the rest is "way over staffed"?  If Thailand halved their police force they would be in the bottom 20 countries in the world for police per capita. 

Edited by Kieran00001

On 6/25/2017 at 12:15 PM, wildewillie89 said:

Yeah, I understand. 

I have been stopped 100 plus time. Sometimes will be stopped 4 times on one drive to another city. Technically I have received two fines, one for not having the new registration sticker (asked for the paper fine - Uncle (boss of police in city so he dealt with it) - usually it should have been a warning. Second was a camera fine in next city (got dealt with again). Other times in other cities, the Mrs got us off the countless speeding by flashing her government card, but with highway patrol I just ask for the photo. Yeah, they say you have been radioed back by our man hiding with the speed camera, but I just ask them to show me the photo. Just say if you have no evidence how can you fine me. They get so confused with all the evidence talk, then they have one eye watching all the money making cars drive past whilst they waste time talking to some stupid farang...so they just let you go. 

I am trying to see how long i can go in Thailand without having to pay any bribe to any department lol.

So in what way is uncle dealing with this?

On 6/25/2017 at 9:36 AM, Grubster said:

I would gladly pay 3 million baht, for selling the government a military weapon that I am making 30 million baht on. 100s of baht for cops, millions for high officials. Its a way of life.

You would be a "glad" participator in not only low end corruption but also high end, is there any reason why people like you should be allowed to keep their lives?

2 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

What makes you think that a country which has less police per population than most of Europe and only slightly more than the rest is "way over staffed"?  If Thailand halved their police force they would be in the bottom 20 countries in the world for police per capita. 

Because the police do very little.

if you got rid of 75% of the police, the police force would still function the same.

so yes,   its over staffed or under worked, what ever way you choose to look at it. :giggle:

3 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Because the police do very little.

if you got rid of 75% of the police, the police force would still function the same.

so yes,   its over staffed or under worked, what ever way you choose to look at it. :giggle:

Under worked is the way I choose to look at it.  I doubt that removing staff wouldn't see things keep functioning as they do, I expect it would see the remaining police finding it much easier to be corrupt and worse.

1 hour ago, jvs said:

So in what way is uncle dealing with this?

As mentioned: 'should have been a warning'. He informed the relevant officer that he should have used his discretion a little bit better and given a warning/education for the petty offence instead. Although other interpretations of what happened probably wouldn't be too far off also.