Lending money to a Thai relative, legal advise?

douglasspade

33 minutes ago, balo said:

If you love your family , give them 100k as a "loan" , but don't expect anything back .

Indeed.  But I wonder why the OP's girlfriend's aunty can't apply for a secured loan from the bank herself?  Have you asked this question, OP?  Believe me, a lot of Thai families appear not to have two pennies to rub together and they probably don't, but there is almost always collateral that they can fall back on, i.e. Chanote.

Whilst 'lending' 100k to the relative may be very noble you certainly risk opening the flood gates to the rest of the [extended] family.  The precedent will be forever set.

As earlier mentioned, you could investigate having the roof fixed yourself, through your girlfriend, though, as your face will obviously attract the farang rate, that's if you trust your girlfriend which I assume you do.  I wouldn't trust the aunty to do this as the cost will be ... you guessed it, 100k.  This will enable you to set an alternative precedent by being creative - yes, farang will help but on your own terms and not theirs.

As you've now come to understand there is a very high probability that you'll never be repaid whatever you shell out and wasting money on a 'legal contract' is effectively throwing good money after bad.

If you are going to help then at least get creative rather than acting like a walking ATM.

Edited by Here It Is

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It always interests me that loans for specific things always come to a nice round figure! So the roof will cost exactly 100,000? Have they had a quote yet?

I have a Thai friend who ,twice, became a guarantor for close friends for car loans. He lost both friends and had to pay almost one million back in loans himself after they had defaulted on the loans.

To you, it's a loan.  To them, it's share the wealth because you're a rich foreigner.  

They will hate you for loaning the money.  And they will hate you for wanting it  back.

Western logic does not apply here.

mate, you are being touched up with this amount, for the same we had an extension put on the house, a new veranda roof on the second level, a new roofed area 6 mtrs wide around half the house with new walls and fence along it plus heaps more. The amount they are asking for is way more than needed, think you will find it is mainly for something else. Work out the area of the roof and price the tin or what ever for that amount of area, labor will be very inexpensive, tin is cut to length so just needs to be screwed down on the existing frame work, even if this isnt good it will be cheap to replace. One thing I have learnt here is do not lend money as it will never be returned, that is a fairly certain fact with thais

My wife has 2 sons.

One never asked for anything, I asked him if 200.000 baht would help his (old) business. After some thinking he said yes - and paid back every satang when his business picked up.

The other one wanted 20.000 to set up a coffee cart. I said no way. He then borrowed from wife's brother. Coffee business lasted 4 weeks, wife's brother lost 20.000..

OP, you should never think that you have an obligation to give a loan, just use common sense.

My GF's Auntie's roof is perfect. I simply used this scenario as an example! EXAMPLE! I wrote that in the post!

Is there a legal document in Thailand that I can present to a court that prove money has been loaned to a person who agreed to pay it back! Simple!

6 minutes ago, douglasspade said:

My GF's Auntie's roof is perfect. I simply used this scenario as an example! EXAMPLE! I wrote that in the post!

Is there a legal document in Thailand that I can present to a court that prove money has been loaned to a person who agreed to pay it back! Simple!

So what is your game.  Have you had a request for a loan?  If so, a loan on what basis?

You've already been informed that you can achieve legal coverage but that coverage will be worthless at best.

Come on and don't play silly beggers.  

Edited by Here It Is

Buy em a tent or go fix the roof with them or better still tell em to get stuffed. I think it's the males nagging the wives to try and get some cash. Fat stupid lad married my Mrs sister. His coming of age understanding is rife I reckon. New motorbike in the new Mrs name all paid for by the Mrs eventually. 3 years ago he signed up for his last bike.  She paid it off 3 months ago and suddenly the 3 yr olf bikes no good. Absolute waste of life some people.

18 minutes ago, douglasspade said:

Yes there is such a system I forget the name but it's widely used by loan sharks and whilst used unethically by some it is all above board but may not be achievable as a farang so would need a wife etc to contractualise it?  The one done with the Amphur which recognises the cash changed hands and underlines the repayment time frame with the consequence being loss of land in most cases. It has been discussed on here a few times I'm pretty sure.

2 hours ago, douglasspade said:

If your post was not a wind up, it must be the worst written / thought out post of all times!

Since you did not bother to clear up this so called misunderstanding until now, I can only assume that it was a wind up.

Whatever, wind up or stupidity, you have been wasting everybody's time.

Shame on you.

I lent 80,000 baht to a Thai relative so he could complete his uni studies. He gave me the chanote to his family land as security. I've already had 40,000 baht back, with the "promise" of the balance at Xmas. The payment in full date has proven to be somewhat flexible.

Another "milk" the farang for money, they can afford it thread.

Hope OP grows a set and take the advice given here on board or this will just be another case of a "gift", not a load, or the loss of face will be end up costing him more than 100k

Bullshit I've lent my wife's family money on several occasions and received every penny back.Not all Thais are the same and a lot of people on here have had bad experiences hence the negativity. I guess if your asking the question your not at all sure about them so in that case I say don't give them it. As a previous poster said get em some buckets till the harvest comes in.

probably a good idea to not lend any money that you cannot afford to give away... whether it be Thai or farang or anyone... 

That said, my family, and extended family have a long track record of re-paying loans... 

But ,yes, a chanote usually works if you do not trust... but nothing is fool proof in that you cannot get blood from a stone... if they don't have it now, what is the chance they will have it in the future.

You cannot of course get legal protection as a farang in LOS.  Oldhippy has a good point, but then they might have already taken out several bank loans.

Your only protection taken subtly, is to 'borrow'  something of approximately equal value, remove it and hand it back when the loan is repaid!

1 hour ago, Sharp said:

Giddyup looks like you have a responsible relative... But just giving someone the chanote does not constitute as security without it the lenders name on the back of it as a lien a written contract stating this fact...

Sent from my SM-P555 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I agree, the chanote is just a gesture of willingness to repay. I would never make them sell the family land even if he did default. I have lent several Thai relatives small amounts of 20,000 baht and all have repaid. The loans were made with the proviso that if they did default there would never be any loans to anybody in the future.