Why is Thailand still such a dangerous place?

webfact

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, peterpaintpot said:

Berkshire claims that the risk of death and injury to people in cars is comparable to Western levels. I severely doubt this; with the Thai atrocious driving standards, the lack of action by the police, the substandard design, construction and maintenance of roads, and the low usage of seatbelts; very few car owners in the UK don't insist that front and rear seat belts are always used. As for keeping kids safe in the car, that thought seems to be nonexistent in a Thai adult's mind. Parents that I know here, who love their children dearly, have no no idea of how to keep them safe.

Your last sentence is spot on, parents upcountry here have no quibbles about giving their underage children the keys to their motor bike, even on busy roads.

8 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Nonsense

Workplace shootings in California, home invasions and road rage violence too.

Just read he news every day.

Terrorist attacks in the U.K.

Thailand is no more dangerous than anywhere else in the world

If you want to be afraid, life anywhere is dangerous.

It all depends on whether you see the glass as half empty or  half full. 

For me at 70 years, I can remember 4 times I could have died, but of course I didn't yet.

Agreed, but I think the point the author is making is that the junta has never been able to provide an explanation for the Erawan and the recent BKK bombings.  Junta supporters here on TV are always quick to pin the blame on the reds, but I don't really see what they would have to gain from the recent attacks.  The pipe bomb that was "found" that never went off is very fishy indeed.

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

In terms of intentional homicide, number and rate per 100,000 population, in 2011Thailand ranked 5th compared to Pakistan 1st, Honduras 2nd, Guatemala 3rd and El Salvador 4th.

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Crime/Violent-crime/Murder-rate#2011

Not so.

If you click on the 'Per Capita' heading on your link you will note that Thailand is actually at no.94.

Then, for the latest UNODC figures noted by Wiki (2015) Thailand is actually at no.114 (need to click on the 'Rate' header).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

9 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Nonsense

For me at 70 years, I can remember 4 times I could have died, but of course I didn't yet.

California is probably not a good example. Every American I know tells me that California is a place for mis-fits. Maybe somewhere else would be more suitable to use. The attacks in the UK were responded to quickly and arrests made. Additionally there is more a presence of security on the streets. Granted not ideal but a lot better than nothing and it does give the sense that something is being done to stop further such activities.

Edited by gandalf12

28 minutes ago, dabhand said:

Not so.

If you click on the 'Per Capita' heading on your link you will note that Thailand is actually at no.94.

Then, for the latest UNODC figures noted by Wiki (2015) Thailand is actually at no.114 (need to click on the 'Rate' header).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

You are correct.  How can Srikcir be so incredibly wrong?  Some people go out of their way to malign Thailand, even lying about it. 

Traveled the world extensively and settled in bangkok which I easily rate as the safest capital city of any western country.

Bangkok the capital city of a western country?

Did you used to get lost quite often when you were travelling the world extensively?

:):):)

I do agree though, as a capital city it is pretty safe...

Bangkok the capital city of a western country? 

Did you used to get lost quite often when you were travelling the world extensively?

:):):)

Meant bangkok is safer in comparison

Bangkok is safer than London both capital cities.

Can give you more examples if you want [emoji16]

Thailand is in Asia. Thailand is being ruled again by the military. Thailand tried to have elected

governments, that became corrupt enough that a coup happened again.  Thailand is once again

in a transition stage of maybe getting another chance one day to elect a government who will

try govern the people and not get as corrupted as governments in the past did.

The country is corrupt because it has been corrupt in the past, and the people who felt that getting paid to

vote in someone is a great idea.  This kind of attitude and also the regular Mai Pen Rai bunch has not made

Thailand into a safer country. All the guns and gangs, and unrest in Thailand does not help at all either.

To say that Thailand is any more dangerous than Vietnam, or Cambodia , or an other Asian country, is wrong, as these other countries have some danger in them as well.  I felt in danger when I was in central America as well, and I won't

go back to either Hondorus, Guatemala, or even Belize as the people there or in a lot of South America do not have

improved economies, and life styles. The world is a dangerous place!  How can I get off?

Geezer

20 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Nonsense

Statistic shows the probability of two people(unknown to each other) carrying bombs on board an aircraft is zero. Everytime I travel I pack an explosive in my vacuum flask to make sure the probability is zero. It works, that's why I am still around.

16 minutes ago, madusa said:

Statistic shows the probability of two people(unknown to each other) carrying bombs on board an aircraft is zero. Everytime I travel I pack an explosive in my vacuum flask to make sure the probability is zero. It works, that's why I am still around.

That's why I get bombed when I fly long distances.  And I never buy a lottery ticket at those times.  The odds of winning big and getting blowed up are greater than winning and collecting the money.  I think the stats are rigged.

1 hour ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Thailand is in Asia. Thailand is being ruled again by the military. Thailand tried to have elected

governments, that became corrupt enough that a coup happened again.  Thailand is once again

in a transition stage of maybe getting another chance one day to elect a government who will

try govern the people and not get as corrupted as governments in the past did.

The country is corrupt because it has been corrupt in the past, and the people who felt that getting paid to

vote in someone is a great idea.  This kind of attitude and also the regular Mai Pen Rai bunch has not made

Thailand into a safer country. All the guns and gangs, and unrest in Thailand does not help at all either.

To say that Thailand is any more dangerous than Vietnam, or Cambodia , or an other Asian country, is wrong, as these other countries have some danger in them as well.  I felt in danger when I was in central America as well, and I won't

go back to either Hondorus, Guatemala, or even Belize as the people there or in a lot of South America do not have

improved economies, and life styles. The world is a dangerous place!  How can I get off?

Geezer

The world is a dangerous place you say? How can i get off? -you say?  Easy, in Pattaya nearly every month people get off - from the balcony of their condominium. 

Wear a parachute pack in case you change your mind last minute you could still pull on the cord.

They say, "Guns and knives don't kill people , people kill people"

On 6/13/2017 at 4:52 AM, webfact said:

Why is Thailand still such a dangerous place?

Should be:

Why has Thailand become such a dangerous place?

because it never used to be. And the same could be said for most places around the world.

Thailand remains highly dangerous to its citizens and visitors for multiple reasons. Road traffic is obviously right up there, crime, especially violent crime is rife, political insurgency in the south and random bombings, just to mention a few.
The major issue that I see, is that while plenty of time is spent on rhetoric, normally denying the existence of such problems, very little if anything ever happens that actually addresses and tackles the issues. Plans to tackle problems, such as the Pre-Songkran road safety drive, just fizzle out, or are withdrawn if people moan about the impact.
The Government is way too focused on its image and its popularity, but has no policies that address these issues, so Thailand is unlikely to become significantly safer, anytime soon.

Thailand definitely prefers form to substance and that's why things are run so poorly.

On 2017-6-13 at 9:33 AM, Berkshire said:

Fatality on the roads are predominately motorcycles.  If you drive a car, your risk of injury or death goes down significantly...to western levels I dare say.

I havnt looked at the breakdown of statistics but it sure doesnt feel safe on the highways - every second car seems to be practising for Daytona!

5 minutes ago, Jimbo2014 said:

I havnt looked at the breakdown of statistics but it sure doesnt feel safe on the highways - every second car seems to be practising for Daytona!

You don't feel safe on the highways?  This is what I find perplexing, expats constantly complaining about driving on these roads.  I drive every single day in Thailand, no issues.  So I'm not sure what to make of you guys having constant problems on these same roads.   

On 6/12/2017 at 11:09 PM, IMA_FARANG said:

Nonsense

Gun death rate in Thailand= 7.48 per 100,000 people, twice the rate of the USA @ 3.55. "source" Coconuts. Wise up, Mr apologist. It was only yesterday when you was trying to defend a moron mini bus driver that had killed a bunch of people.

On 2017-6-13 at 10:39 AM, Mickmouse1 said:

Can The Nation give us stats and comparison year by year from 2010 to date so that we can see for ourselves.?

It would be better if by category in order to make it easy for us to comprehend and evaluate. 

As for the South,well can any Previous Government explain why there is no investment or development in that region? Why infrastructure is poor?Why Schools and Hospitals roads etc etc are poor and inadequate? 

You must pay attention to that region in order to give the new generation hope of a brighter future and lure them to a more prosperous future and hope.

The Junta did not encourage crimes to be rife as insinuated here but actually they are doing a better job than Taksin and Co.?

Speaking of which. The bbc had a great story on the drug riddled south where 9/10 youths are hooked on kratom and reasons for divorce rates are predominantly drug abusing husbands. All this going on despite the heavy army presence and spit check zoning on place. Wonder where all the drugs are coming from. Pre made drugs they just drink too, manufactured. 

8 hours ago, Berkshire said:

You don't feel safe on the highways?  This is what I find perplexing, expats constantly complaining about driving on these roads.  I drive every single day in Thailand, no issues.  So I'm not sure what to make of you guys having constant problems on these same roads.   

Hey can I have some of what your taking?

These roads are the worst in the world not counting war zones of Libya and I have driven many of them here. Back in the day I raced Motor Bikes and was never scared until I drove here. When the gun comes out to threaten you into there way of thinking, I said thank you to my right foot as it connected to some nuts on cowards who quite frankly should not be allowed on this planet. Locals I guess with brain damage caused by sex within the family.

PS

keep what you are taking I like my brain working and not dimmed by stupidity.

7 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Hey can I have some of what your taking?

These roads are the worst in the world not counting war zones of Libya and I have driven many of them here. Back in the day I raced Motor Bikes and was never scared until I drove here. When the gun comes out to threaten you into there way of thinking, I said thank you to my right foot as it connected to some nuts on cowards who quite frankly should not be allowed on this planet. Locals I guess with brain damage caused by sex within the family.

PS

keep what you are taking I like my brain working and not dimmed by stupidity.

You sure are taking things personal.  And talk about brainless hyperbole.  War zones?  Guns?  Sex within families?  Your hatred of the Thais do not blind us to the obvious fact that your brain is not functioning properly and that you are clearly dimmed by stupidity.

16 hours ago, Berkshire said:

No I dont feel safe - The only country I saw (far) more accidents in was Nigeria.  Thailand has the second highest per capita (recorded) road fatalities of any country at 36 per 100,000.  WHO estimate that 70% of deaths are motorbike related.  OK so 30% car doesnt sound like much, until you realise that this is still twice as high as most western countries, assuming western countries road fatalities are 100% car which is not a good assumption.  The ratio is probably more like 4 times higher. Thats not counting your likelihood of hitting a person on a motorbike which would be much higher and will also cause you grief.  I see people do idiotic things here like rapid blind inside lane changes every few minutes.  Not good.