Aussie tourist suing Thai government after horrific knife attack in Phuket

webfact

6 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Daily Mail says Mr Shackleton was running his own internet café in Phuket at the time of the attack. Not a tourist and no health insurance apparently.

Now let's come up with some interesting alternative reasons for the attack... Maybe he had already been warned about doing business in Pattaya.

I'm getting confused---- the original post and others following say this attack was in Phuket -------Now you bring Pattaya into the picture.Also it was evidently 9 yrs ago and still no perp and no sword.One of those"don't know what to believe" stories.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be more precise he is in the process of applying to the Thai government for compensation under the law, not suing them. It is not a legal case that would be heard in a court.  Since the attack took place 8 years ago the government has probably decided not to pay him a long time ago.   The poor guy was only trying to hand over his money when they slashed him.  Needless to say, police took no interest in the case because he wasn't someone influential or famous and no one offered them money to catch the criminals, which might have resulted in someone being framed anyway. 

These home made Samurai swords are rather popular with Thai thugs.  They can be knocked up in a technical college workshop the shorter ones are not too difficult to conceal.  

= 2 x Loss of Faces....

I knew an aussie guy that told thugs blocking his car to move and they got rowdy. He said under his breath "fkn idiots". He got stabbed in the gut and a wound to the side of his head. Way back about 1week before the tsunami. Tat should put all this in the brochures to cover themselves when people get chopped up.

I dont have high hopes but wish him well. Best case scenario he will do the wai and appologize to the nation for being an over prilleged women hogging farang that knows everything and a fine to kick it off....

Make insurance compulsory for all Aliens ,  who visit  LOS .

That includes you and me  .

Edited by elliss

Its about time someone did sue, as it was locals who did it, so should pay

They never pay up on court judgement so grab another plane could be the answer

3 horrific stories on here in one day, shows what the place is like and has been for years,

TAT go on how safe it is, maybe for her as she probably has an armed guard with here day and night.

C<<<>>>

10 hours ago, observer90210 said:

oh really this is not such a big deal just like the other incident in Pattaya where another tourist was bashed up...!!!

the country needs in prioprity to deal with those over sexy busty superstars with sexy pelvic moves that make the top brass of governance, hard under their pants!!

who cares for these tourist farangs in Thailand who have "huge" amounts of money to drink and screw all those busty cuties that hang around??!!!

Relevance please, incoherent rambling...<deleted>? :post-4641-1156693976:

How about traveling in a country WITHOUT INSURANCE, and suing the government when something happens?

Nobody would have thought of that - the insurance companies will now go bankrupt while everyone cancels their policies and sues governments instead. #Not

6 hours ago, helloagain said:

Lets hope the same attack happens to you dave.......no sympathy

The no sympathy part was about him being out a large sum of money. Obviously he could have paid for it. Even though I hate paying for it, insurance is a necessity. 

David

13 hours ago, observer90210 said:

oh really this is not such a big deal just like the other incident in Pattaya where another tourist was bashed up...!!!

the country needs in prioprity to deal with those over sexy busty superstars with sexy pelvic moves that make the top brass of governance, hard under their pants!!

who cares for these tourist farangs in Thailand who have "huge" amounts of money to drink and screw all those busty cuties that hang around??!!!

yes, they have huge amounts of money to drink and screw but no money for travel insurance.

15 hours ago, Denim said:

Good luck with that.

After all the warnings in news around the world how dangerous Thailand has became, I'm surprised tourist still coming here. By the way, he can forget suing the thai government, if he's lucky he get a bucket of roses.

12 hours ago, optad said:

Hate to say it, but the kid has to move on.

Wasn't nice what happened but whatever pennies he may squeeze from Thai authorities should he win, will not help with the months/ years of aggravation trying. 

And Thai law has no precedent basis, so even a big win does not help those that follow.

Let it go...

Let it got that is the problem this bunch of local idiots and cowards need teaching a lesson and one to remember, They would be in S>>> Street if it was not for the Tourists and Farangs, yet treat us like scum. Time to boycott this neck of the woods until they learn some manners,

A nice court story like this will bring on many others and bye bye 20%+ of GDP. The sooner the better.

18 hours ago, SABloke said:

"Jamie now plans to seek compensation from the Thai Government under the 2001 Compensation and Expenses for Injured Persons and the Accused Act"

Not exactly "suing" the government, but hey...headlines these days: relevance is optional.  :coffee1:

Now if he seeks compensation following the guidelines of "financial compensation to victims who suffer injuries resulting from criminal offences" do not be surprised if the government says something along the lines of "since their was insufficient evidence and nobody was convicted of a crime it can't be proven that a criminal offence took place and so you get no compensation". :unsure:

I'd  be interested to know if anyone has heard of or knows of someone who has been compensated by the government through this Act.

I am not positive, but I recall recently a Brazilian model raped by a cab driver was provided monetary compensation by the Thai government. Plus her medical bills were covered. But I am not sure it was from this act or not. It may have just been PR. 

Well he appears he was able to get treatment without having insurance so perhaps insurance will not need to become obligatory!

If it did occur in 2009 is there not a statute of limitations.....

A red-top rag filling it's quiet Monday papers, but it is more bad press for Thailand.

The Governament try to clean up Thailand but clear all those massage and sex business, destroy the income of those people, they will come to rob, to steal,....etc Governament should deal with that at the same time, send more police around and work more.  

21 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Thailand will not want lose of face.

He almost did. He should grow a beard and tell stories in the pub. 

I met an Italian in Brazil with a similar scar. He had a past but I didn't inquire too deeply.

On 6/13/2017 at 10:02 AM, SABloke said:

"Jamie now plans to seek compensation from the Thai Government under the 2001 Compensation and Expenses for Injured Persons and the Accused Act"

Not exactly "suing" the government, but hey...headlines these days: relevance is optional.  :coffee1:

Now if he seeks compensation following the guidelines of "financial compensation to victims who suffer injuries resulting from criminal offences" do not be surprised if the government says something along the lines of "since their was insufficient evidence and nobody was convicted of a crime it can't be proven that a criminal offence took place and so you get no compensation". :unsure:

I'd  be interested to know if anyone has heard of or knows of someone who has been compensated by the government through this Act.

From 2009 ??? Are you sure you will get paid for that ? A little late for sure.

23 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Do any of you remember the Aussie woman who stole a bar towel. Even she got money from Thailand when she raised a stink. This guy has a very good chance of getting s settlement.

She didn't get any money, she got fined.