Place to use laptop - Tapai Gate

t8769

Looking for a nice coffee shop or other place that's airconditioned and not to noisy to do laptop work - near to Tapai Gate.

There is a coworking place that looks nice but its 250bt.

Is there a pleasant café to work in?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Selfish beyond a joke and a free-loading nuisance!

So what you really want is to turn a coffe shop into your work area. Preferably with air conditioning; enough room to spread yourself out and work uninterrupted for hours on end; with your laptop, mobile phone etc all neatly arranged to take up as much of the available space as possible (space needed by "legitimate" customers). All this for the price of a cup of coffee (that's assuming you will at least buy a cup of coffee!), because you're too mean to pay 250 baht for a legitimate workspace.Do you know (or even care) that they have overheads and that they are in business to make money, not to support you?

I'm ever hopeful that you and others like you will be asked / told by the coffee shop proprietors at least once every half-hour that you have to buy something or move on.

Regards,

Joe

To answer the OP's question -- I rather like the restaurant in the Hotel M when I'm in the vicinity of Thapae Gate at lunchtime.  Not the BurgerKing, but the real restaurant.  They have wifi, aircon and nice menu selection for a pleasant lunch.  I can use my smartphone to get caught up on emails and relax for an hour and then get back to my day.  

Would I use it as a "co-working space"?  Well no.  I have, upon occasion, used the restaurant at Hotel M as a meeting space for discussions with 2 to 4 people over coffee, but if I want to do hours and hours of laptop work, well that's why I have a desk at home.

Wow - there are some seriously bitter, twisted people on this site. 

I'm not even going to try to understand what problems they're suffering.

Thanks Nancy.

I've used Co-working spaces in BKK and CM if I have much work to do, but its good to have a nice place to work for shorter times.

Yes, there are even some who like to take advantage of others like buy one coffee or a bottle of water, and sit for two hours in ac and with free wifi, just for example.

If it was Starbucks et al I would say go for it, as big international company and profits and all that.

However if a smaller privately owned place, I would exercise that "old fashioned concept" of etiquette. This would involve engaging the owner in conversation and asking their permission and being upfront about what you need. You may find that as business is quiet at the moment some people would be happy as having patrons in their shop often draws in others. It would of course be polite to offer them something extra if you need to use electricity.

3 hours ago, cmsally said:

If it was Starbucks et al I would say go for it, as big international company and profits and all that.

However if a smaller privately owned place, I would exercise that "old fashioned concept" of etiquette. This would involve engaging the owner in conversation and asking their permission and being upfront about what you need. You may find that as business is quiet at the moment some people would be happy as having patrons in their shop often draws in others. It would of course be polite to offer them something extra if you need to use electricity.

Why shouldn't he exercise the same etiquette in Starbucks?

3 hours ago, cmsally said:

8 minutes ago, mesquite said:

Why shouldn't he exercise the same etiquette in Starbucks?

5 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Economies of scale?

Sounds like the same kind of reasoning some bank employees use to justify stealing money from their employer. 

6 minutes ago, mesquite said:

Sounds like the same kind of reasoning some bank employees use to justify stealing money from their employer. 

Wow, quick ramp up from etiquette to theft. Are you really gonna imply that an etiquette gaffe is equivalent to a crime?

9 hours ago, t8769 said:

Thanks Nancy.

I've used Co-working spaces in BKK and CM if I have much work to do, but its good to have a nice place to work for shorter times.

You really have to be sensitive to the needs of the business and the other customers.  If the business is busy, then it isn't fair to the other customers for you to linger over your coffee or meal while you surf the internet, answer emails, etc be it on a laptop or smart phone.  And even if the business doesn't need the table you're occupying it just isn't right to sit for hours and hours conducting business via the internet while you stretch out a 20 baht water or 50 baht cup of coffee.

In my recommendation of the restaurant at the Hotel M, I find myself there about once a month and enjoy their nice aircon, lunch, wifi and spend about an hour and 200 baht for lunch with a 20 baht tip for the servers.  I'm not there often, but I think I'm remembered.  And it's just me and my smartphone.  I don't set up my laptop and drag out a bunch of documents.  As I said, that's why I have a desk at home.

9 hours ago, t8769 said:

Thanks Nancy.

I'm unclear why the OP thinks that my comments regarding his freeloading habits are a result of me being bitter and twisted (or suffering from some problem that he can't understand). In fact, nothing could be further from the truth. I was merely pointing out that his wish to turn a coffe shop into his personal free, comfortable, air-conditioned workspace was simply a deplorable misuse of the available facilities. Nancy L's concluding comment was " It spoils my coffee time when I see the space around me being misappropriated", a sentiment I echo entirely.

Anyway, apart from being mean, I don't understand why it's so difficult to work from home if it's for a short time (2/3 hours?), or budget to pay circa 250baht for a legitimate workspace for a longer period of time.

Not bitter or twisted.

Joe

10 minutes ago, Shoeless Joe said:

I'm unclear why the OP thinks that my comments regarding his freeloading habits are a result of me being bitter and twisted (or suffering from some problem that he can't understand). In fact, nothing could be further from the truth. I was merely pointing out that his wish to turn a coffe shop into his personal free, comfortable, air-conditioned workspace was simply a deplorable misuse of the available facilities. Nancy L's concluding comment was " It spoils my coffee time when I see the space around me being misappropriated", a sentiment I echo entirely.

Anyway, apart from being mean, I don't understand why it's so difficult to work from home if it's for a short time (2/3 hours?), or budget to pay circa 250baht for a legitimate workspace for a longer period of time.

Not bitter or twisted.

Joe

Actually it was someone else who said it spoils their "coffee time" to see the space around them misappropriated, but I "get" at exactly what SJ is saying.  

It was difficult to tell if the OP was simply looking for a nice oasis around Thapae Gate to park for an hour or two to check emails and cool off or if he was looking for a no-cost alternative for an all-day working space.  In the second situation, I'm having trouble envisioning how he spends his evenings, but perhaps in a hostel where he sleeps in a room with several strangers and they don't turn  on the aircon until 10 pm.  If the OP doesn't have a home with a desk, wifi and aircon then he should be prepared to pay the fees for a co-working space.

Selfish beyond a joke and a free-loading nuisance!  

So what you really want is to turn a coffe shop into your work area. Preferably with air conditioning; enough room to spread yourself out and work uninterrupted for hours on end; with your laptop, mobile phone etc all neatly arranged to take up as much of the available space as possible (space needed by "legitimate" customers). All this for the price of a cup of coffee (that's assuming you will at least buy a cup of coffee!), because you're too mean to pay 250 baht for a legitimate workspace.Do you know (or even care) that they have overheads and that they are in business to make money, not to support you?

I'm ever hopeful that you and others like you will be asked / told by the coffee shop proprietors at least once every half-hour that you have to buy something or move on.

Regards,

Joe

Some of the chain coffee shops (such as Wawee, Tom Tom's, and Gloria Jeans) print a password on your receipt whenever you buy something and the password is good for something like an hour's use of their wifi. That seems like a good way for businesses to protect themselves against "digital nomads" who would otherwise sit there all day using the wifi and buy only a single bottle of water, or use the wifi for hours while ordering food and drink and then sneak out of the place without paying their bill.

1 hour ago, suzannegoh said:

Some of the chain coffee shops (such as Wawee, Tom Tom's, and Gloria Jeans) print a password on your receipt whenever you buy something and the password is good for something like an hour's use of their wifi.

camp coffee shop / co working space on the cinema floor of maya mall do this

but they give you two hours of internet time !

dave2

camp coffee shop at maya mall 13 dec 14 20141213_120822.jpg

camp coffee password at maya mall time limit 13 dec 14 0141213_120535.jpg

camp coffee shop / co working space on the cinema floor of maya mall do this
but they give you two hours of internet time !

dave2

Even better, though I drink do much coffee that it's immaterial whether I get one hour of usage per cup or two hours.

7 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Some of the chain coffee shops (such as Wawee, Tom Tom's, and Gloria Jeans) print a password on your receipt whenever you buy something and the password is good for something like an hour's use of their wifi. That seems like a good way for businesses to protect themselves against "digital nomads" who would otherwise sit there all day using the wifi and buy only a single bottle of water, or use the wifi for hours while ordering food and drink and then sneak out of the place without paying their bill.

Ah the "Digital Nomads" I like to call them Farang kee nok 2.0