Surgery In Thailand

snoop1130

Surgery In Thailand

written by Jess Thakkar

surgery-in-thailand.jpg

We never think we will ever need any kind of surgery, we assume we will live healthy and happy lives with no glitches. Yes I thought that too. Up until late last year. I had always considered my self quite fit and active. Whilst at school I was in the netball, hockey and volley ball teams.

Once I had left school and finished with education and started working, I joined the local gym, and also took up yoga. Having moved to Thailand I continued with yoga, sometimes attending classes three times a week. I can’t profess to be any good at it but at least I was exercising.

Late September 2016, I acquired what i thought was a “hamstring” injury in my left leg. I did the usual, took pain killers and rubbed in that cream that emanates heat. I even went to see acupuncturist, who helped a little.  He gave me massages and made me feel OK for a short time. But the very next hour the pain was back. It got to the point that it was painful to walk that’s when I started to take it all more seriously.

I couldn’t quite understand how a ” Simple hamstring injury “, could hurt so much. I was unable to get up and sit down or get into the car without wincing. The pain steadily got worse. I took more and more painkillers. it just didn’t go away. Even at this point, I never thought I would have to end up needing surgery. This just didn’t occur to me.

It was a very busy time for us, we were due to move home, by now we are in mid October. I had packed up the old condo and shopped for and arranged the redecorating of the new one. And all with the aid of those lovely pink I buprofen tablets!   I was probably, well not probably, I was very, very foolish. I even went on a weekend away to Singapore!

On my return, I was in agony, felt pain like never before.  I fell out of bed and couldn’t stand. It was then I relented and finally listened to my husband, we had to go to hospital. I was examined and an X- Ray was taken, pain killers were prescribed and I was told to return in five days if I was still suffering.  I returned in four! I had an MRI and that’s when the true extent of what had happened to me was exposed.  I had a herniated disc, in the region of L 4 and L 5 , herniated by about 50%. I was offered physio therapy. Which I had for six sessions over two weeks.

Even at this stage I refused to believe, and to be fair the doctor didn’t tell me, that I would need surgery. I was living in the hope that the lovely young physiotherapist, fresh from university would be able to heal me. It took an old friend to see me at an early Christmas bazaar, ( yes I was still going out and about ), to stop me and ask why I was limping. After hearing my long saga, she insisted on me going to see the orthopaedic surgeon her husband had seen in at Bumrungrad hospital.

Full Story: http://expatlifeinthailand.com/health-and-beauty/surgery-in-thailand/

expat-life.png
-- © Copyright Expat Life In Thailand 2017-6-14

In the doctors room , I was shocked into silence. The situation was bad. I needed surgery immediately.  He wanted to admit me straight away. I cried and cried. I wanted to fly home, I wanted to fly to Singapore. I was afraid of having surgery in Thailand. 

Bit of a drama queen.

I needed abdominal surgery. Saw a surgeon at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya. Not thrilled at the prospect, but the need was obvious. Never felt any qualms about having it done in Thailand.

Was booked for a two night stay in hospital, but I never felt even a twinge of pain following the surgery and was up and walking about the next morning. Went home then. Never experienced even a minute of pain. Even the surgical scar all but disappeared. 

I hope the need never arises again but I wouldn't have second thoughts about doing it if it was necessary. 

I could not agree more about having surgery in Thailand. I've had three operations and the doctors were superb so was the service and the price was cheaper than anywhere else. I can only say lucky, the lady didn't go to Singapore. I had the same operation done there, that she had done in Bangkok and they really messed me up. And because of it I have had problems ever since.

10 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Just remember that Bumrungrad will want to operate even if you do not need yet.

Bangkok will monitor correctly

Not true!!  Excellent physicians, I was told I required minor surgery

at a Wonderful International hospital; however at Bumrungrad it was

cured with physiotherapy and no need for surgery.   

You don't know what you are talking about!!!!

needless surgical procedures occur all over the world including developed countries where greed is in play, thailand is certainly no exception. that wonderful international hospital pressured me hard into buying lots of prescription medication at their in house highly overpriced pharmacy. i bought the very same medicine outside at a normal normal priced pharmacy.

Edited by atyclb

I had surgery on my knee, (ACL)  the doctor was in bumrungrad, but my gf did research and he worked at a different hospital as well. I asked the doctor he said to make an appointment there to talk to him. he couldn't tell me there.

so made an appointment, and shi# you not it was 100,000 baht cheaper.

so shop around. and most of these thai doctors, have there degree from the states and UK.

and I have no regrets on having my surgery here. all good

and good luck to you,

ps. just get the doc's name and you can do a search on them,

2 hours ago, natway09 said:

Just remember that Bumrungrad will want to operate even if you do not need yet.

Bangkok will monitor correctly

I have excellent experience with Bumrungrad, Dr Verapan ( spine surgery)

He diagnosed - after 20 years pain in the lower back ( = L4, L5- S1) - for the first time correct. That despite over 20 years visits to Dutch docters, physiotherapists, chiropracters etc.

He told me, they "could do SOME treatment, might help for 2 days of 20 years but.. in fact I expect you back for a spondylodese in a 3-5 months. Recovery might last months, so better do in your home country".

Exactly correct. 6 months later I was on a Belgium operation table for the first lower back operation. 

Well, if a possibility scheduled surgery, I might well return home to have the Medicare coverage (I would check to see how that would work out financially with the flight costs). Having had a heart attack in December 2016 (Chiang Mai), I would not have any concern with the care I was given.

Yeah, the problem with planning to fly home is that you may not in the physical or mental condition to do it.  If it's a heart condition or a mild stroke, just the flight could make you worse.  I have had three procedures done at Bumrungrad - two heart catheterizations, with three stents installed each time, and one cataract removal (both eyes.)  They were OK but I will not have much future care done at Bumrungrad because, at least for me, they have raised their price by 100% since 2014.  Samitivej or St. Louis will probably provide my care in the future.

I  am  having trouble with the reference  to a  herniated  l 3 / 4 disc or  whatever it was . Was the  knee  pain  actually  referred  pain?

What adds to my suspicion is  that the original  full story  which   may  or  may  not  disperse  my  suspicion seems  to  be  unavailable.

So  is  this   some  clumsy commercial attempt   to promote  Thai   ortho surgery  based  on  bs  or  ?

5 hours ago, thaijoe said:

I had surgery on my knee, (ACL)  the doctor was in bumrungrad, but my gf did research and he worked at a different hospital as well. I asked the doctor he said to make an appointment there to talk to him. he couldn't tell me there.

so made an appointment, and shi# you not it was 100,000 baht cheaper.

so shop around. and most of these thai doctors, have there degree from the states and UK.

and I have no regrets on having my surgery here. all good

and good luck to you,

ps. just get the doc's name and you can do a search on them,

I had a similar experience- when I told the doctor the price was too high he told me to see him Saturday at a less expensive private hospital and I saved over 100,000 b and walked home 40 hr after back surgery. It turns out that his crew from the public hospital joins him for operations at 2 other hospitals.  A good doctor will try therapy first and operate as a last resort.

I have had surgery twice in Thailand, once to repair torn biceps ligaments in my right arm, and once for a sclerotic haemorrhoid., both times at Bangkok Hospital, Phuket. The first under a general anaesthetic, the other with a block. In neither case did I have any qualms, both consultants and the surgeon gave me confidence that all would go well, and it did - and I still have full use of my right arm 10 years later.