Help with my Type ED Visa.

I would massively appreciate any help, 

I have been granted a 1 year Multiple Entry Education Visa for studying in Thailand, I received this in May and plan to Arrive in August. 

I have a few questions.

#1 - Does the 12 months period start when you arrive in Thailand or date of visa issue.

#2 - I keep reading about only being able to stay for 90 days at a time without leaving, is it possible to just get a extension without having to leave? ( I chose the Multiple Entry because I may visit home or go on holiday etc but don't want to force myself to do this every 90 days)

#3 -  Is there a way that I can just focus on my studies without having to travel somewhere?

Many Thanks :) 

#1 The visa validity runs from when the visa was issued. If you look at the visa sticker, it has an "Enter before" date. This indicates when the visa expires.

#2 Yes, the visa allows you to stay for 90 days at a time. Unless you try for extensions, you will need to do border hops every 90 days. It is possible to apply for extensions. How much hassle this will be depends on your course of study and local immigration office. If you are granted a 12-month extension (probably only if taking a university course) ask for a reentry permit at the same time. Believe it or not, the multiple entry visa will not protect your extended permission to stay being canceled when you leave Thailand.