Immigration questioned me. " computer show up"

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

I do not see anything about 90 or 180 days in the current police-orders - even for Visa-Exempts (which do have more strict rules).

Not all orders are in the public domain. 

The "number of entries" is one thing the IO's have to consider based on the guidance notes issued in 2014.

2 minutes ago, 2road said:

Forced to buy a ticket back to my country? Detention overnight?      They ll hear me shouting all the way and never see me again here.

I ll apply for a tourist visa before flying in.

Or, If I still have a bad feeling, I will purchase a connecting ticket BKK to VN and remain in the connections area of the airport without attempting to enter TH. And I will forget about my gf and TH, for a while.

Remember - so far - NO Reports of anyone With the Cash AND a Tourist Visa being denied entry.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Ignore @JackThompson advice about flying in. There is far less chance of being denied entry if flying in and even less chance of being denied if flying in from Europe.

Agreed  - as I stated in my last reply.

@JackThonpson lives in Thailand as a 'tourist' and has far higher chance of being denied entry than someone like you that has spent 7 months out of the country.

True - I don't see why they even questioned him after being out so long.  I expect to be questioned because I spend most of my time here, legally, following Thai rules on Tourist Visa use.  I would be 'retired' except I am not 50 years old yet, so they call me a 'tourist', instead.

Entering with a tourist visa should keep immigration happy.

... PLUS 20K Baht in cash or travelers checks, and proof of where you will be staying (hotel booking), an explanation of what you are planning to do in Thailand on this trip, and when you plan to leave.  With that, it is pretty-much worry-free.

JackThompson why couldn't you get a tourist visa in Vientiane? Just curious.

As well, there seems to be a lot of comments about not attempting exempt entries if possible which makes sense, but as far as I am aware a person should not have a problem entering twice per calendar year at a land border by 30 day exempt stamp now as a regulation like this was recently made.

24 minutes ago, Essecola said:

JackThompson why couldn't you get a tourist visa in Vientiane? Just curious.

As well, there seems to be a lot of comments about not attempting exempt entries if possible which makes sense, but as far as I am aware a person should not have a problem entering twice per calendar year at a land border by 30 day exempt stamp now as a regulation like this was recently made.

My 2nd TR Visa from Cambodia (ever) they put the little "this person frequently visits Thailand on Tourist Visas..."  stamp.  Vientiane is now counting that stamp/remark, even when it was put there at a non-Lao consulate. 

Paperwork showing 100K+ money in a Thai-bank, origin-of-funds, condo-residence, etc - they were not interested.  Just "We cannot issue...  passport with this remark... you need to get a new passport from your Embassy before you come back."   I didn't get angry about it - they guy was just following his boss's rules - just sighed, switched my mind to Plan B and Plan C.  Note that Savanahket gave a TR Visa after the Cambodia-visa with the "remark" without issue 3 months before.

On Visa-Exempts - at friendly checkpoints, it seems they have actually relaxed the rules a bit, since the 2x-rule came into effect.  When I entered Visa-Exempt, they gave me a pamphlet and warned me about the rule - very courteous and professional.   At many checkpoints, you get the feeling Immigration actually wants to help you visit Thailand, which is nice.

Edited by JackThompson

It's good to know the information about the different rules I guess. I plan on using my second exempt entry later this year. Im doing a study program (non-language school diploma) which has 2 three month units and I am required to apply for a separate ED visa for each unit. But in between the 2 parts there is a 7 week break. I don't know any other way to fill in the time other than getting my 2nd exempt stamp of the year and extending it.  Unless I want to live in Cambodia for 7 weeks or fly home for 7 weeks of winter (I don't). Am guessing a normal tourist visa wouldn't look good book ended by 2 ED visas. And since that tourist visa would be my third then great chance it would have our dear friend Mr Red Warning Stamp on it as well. So rather will try a visa exempt by land to fill in the time between my course units.

6 hours ago, denby45 said:

"then only common sense will settle in" Really??? I do look forward to that day. Unfortunately I fear it will never happen. TIT not fantasy Island. However I like your optimistic attitude. I wish I was more like you.

Den

Not a optimistic attitude - day dreaming at its best. I - for one - know that I will not witness any such changes 

18 minutes ago, Essecola said:

It's good to know the information about the different rules I guess. I plan on using my second exempt entry later this year. Im doing a study program (non-language school diploma) which has 2 three month units and I am required to apply for a separate ED visa for each unit. But in between the 2 parts there is a 7 week break. I don't know any other way to fill in the time other than getting my 2nd exempt stamp of the year and extending it.  Unless I want to live in Cambodia for 7 weeks or fly home for 7 weeks of winter (I don't). Am guessing a normal tourist visa wouldn't look good book ended by 2 ED visas. And since that tourist visa would be my third then great chance it would have our dear friend Mr Red Warning Stamp on it as well. So rather will try a visa exempt by land to fill in the time between my course units.

'ED' visas have the most negative-stigma.  I would make the in/out to Laos across a Friendship Bridge, so you can walk back and get a Tourist Visa if there is a problem with the Exempt entry.  They are much friendlier there than at airports, based on the reports I've read.

No problem with more TR Visas - if at a different location than before, the stamp is less likely.  Also, the red-stamp wouldn't affect you getting another ED Visa after - you'd just need to get a new passport before the next TR Visa.  But given you only need 7 weeks, might as well try for the Exempt.

OP  I suggest to get a tourist visa, if you dont want to do that and want to keep

using visa exempt then I would have:

1) 20K baht of equivalent in hand

2) Something from your employer in Vietnam showing you work in Vietnam.

3) Return ticket showing departure within 30 days. 

with this, especially something from Vietnam employer you should not have any issues.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JackThompson said:

'ED' visas have the most negative-stigma.  I would make the in/out to Laos across a Friendship Bridge, so you can walk back and get a Tourist Visa if there is a problem with the Exempt entry.  They are much friendlier there than at airports, based on the reports I've read.

No problem with more TR Visas - if at a different location than before, the stamp is less likely.  Also, the red-stamp wouldn't affect you getting another ED Visa after - you'd just need to get a new passport before the next TR Visa.  But given you only need 7 weeks, might as well try for the Exempt.

I keep hearing the ED visas have some negative aura around them. Guess they don't really differentiate between people at $600 language school programs and programs like mine where I will be at class 7-8 hours each day and need to pay over $20000 for the 6 month course itself. I suppose they would think I must be pulling the wool over someone's eyes and working illegally on my ED visa. If I were just studying to buy more time in the kingdom, then for the money I am spending, I may as well put $5000 back in my pocket and get an elite visa and not worry about any of the extra visa run and other nonsense (like being held up at airports) for 5 years.

20 hours ago, ericthai said:

OP  I suggest to get a tourist visa, if you dont want to do that and want to keep

using visa exempt then I would have:

1) 20K baht of equivalent in hand

2) Something from your employer in Vietnam showing you work in Vietnam.

3) Return ticket showing departure within 30 days. 

with this, especially something from Vietnam employer you should not have any issues.

very useful thanks,

in ref to #3, do you think if i show a booking ticket BKK to VN within 30 days will work or it has to be a ticket back to Europe?

I doubt they will ever deny entry to an individual that has done absolutely nothing but spending time in TH and respecting all its rules and laws. But u never know. The two IOs were two nice ladies and they were friendly. What if one get one of those old

grumpy serious officers..

3 hours ago, 2road said:

very useful thanks,

in ref to #3, do you think if i show a booking ticket BKK to VN within 30 days will work or it has to be a ticket back to Europe?

I doubt they will ever deny entry to an individual that has done absolutely nothing but spending time in TH and respecting all its rules and laws. But u never know. The two IOs were two nice ladies and they were friendly. What if one get one of those old

Ticket to VN + proof you work in VN + cash should work.    Almost all rejections of Visa-Exempts were for not having the cash.  Most of the rest were for "back to back" in/outs.  The reason I advocate for TR visas, is because the rules for rejection of entry are a higher-barrier for an IO to cross.

4 hours ago, Essecola said:

I keep hearing the ED visas have some negative aura around them. Guess they don't really differentiate between people at $600 language school programs and programs like mine where I will be at class 7-8 hours each day and need to pay over $20000 for the 6 month course itself. I suppose they would think I must be pulling the wool over someone's eyes and working illegally on my ED visa. If I were just studying to buy more time in the kingdom, then for the money I am spending, I may as well put $5000 back in my pocket and get an elite visa and not worry about any of the extra visa run and other nonsense (like being held up at airports) for 5 years.

At a local immigration office, they do make the distinction between "real" universities and language-schools.  I do not know how that plays out at Immigration-checkpoints.  I hope there is a good ROI on that diploma - otherwise, yes, the Elite would make life here much easier, as you have essentially paid-off immigration to treat you as Hi-So.

You do not need an 'ED' visa to study in Thailand, but if under 50, the options are limited.  One alternative to the Elite, is putting 10M Baht in Thai Banks (or other qualifying investments) to obtain a perpetual "investment-based" permit-of-stay, where you get to keep your money.   The cheaper option is to use TR visas, requiring one visa-run and immigration-visit every 3 months, and getting a new passport ever 18 to 30 months to allow for new TR Visas at nearby consulates (as Thai-consulate personnel recommend).  But since you are paying for school anyway, you might as well avail yourself of the ED visa, for the time-being. 

20 hours ago, Essecola said:

If you can get the appropriate paperwork in time, I think you can get the new Non Ed visa early. It gives you 90 days before you need to apply for an extension. The only effect would be that you start needing extensions earlier.

If anyone knows of any limitation that would prevent the above, please correct me.

Edited by BritTim

15 hours ago, 2road said:

very useful thanks,

They dont care where you go as long as you have an outbound ticket, so Vietnam will be fine.

They have refused entry to some people for not having cash. 

The idea of remaining in Thailand indefinitely on tourist visas, even if broken up with some periods out of the country, just isn't any longer a viable plan.  IOs have "discretion", which makes extended discussion of laws & regulations pretty much just so much hot air.   If you're doing this, you're rolling the dice on each attempted entry, and there's not a thing any expert here on the forums can do about it.

I'm not by any means a defender of this "discretion" IOs have. It's exercised capriciously and contributes to inconsistency and unpredictability.  Nor am I a supporter of the idea that staying more than X days/weeks/months automatically means you're not a "tourist" (though I can EASILY see how telling some IO that you're "staying with a GF" might be construed to mean JUST  EXACTLY  that!). 

But, (a) I DO believe those who abuse tourist visas make life more difficult for those who play by the rules. 

And, (b) I'm calling the practice of using tourist visas for remaining in Thailand indefinitely now a bad idea.  

And (c) I AM somewhat critical of those who come here looking for ways to skate past that fact (go back to (a) ).

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

I DO believe those who abuse tourist visas make life more difficult for those who play by the rules

I think those who outrageously abuse tourist visas probably make life more difficult for those who abuse tourist visas less. I do not think they make life more difficult for those making what could be considered normal use of tourist visas. I doubt they have any impact on those using non immigrant entries, or requesting extensions. I am interested, however, if you can point at any direct effect.

• Like 2

On 6/18/2017 at 3:06 PM, BritTim said:

I think those who outrageously abuse tourist visas probably make life more difficult for those who abuse tourist visas less. I do not think they make life more difficult for those making what could be considered normal use of tourist visas. I doubt they have any impact on those using non immigrant entries, or requesting extensions. I am interested, however, if you can point at any direct effect.

There have been many changes that effect the average tourist. 

Immigration has revised the requirements for tourist visas and where they can be issued from.

In the past it has been easy to get a tourist visa in your home county with no documentation needed other

than an application. Now they require a flight reservation to Thailand in the applicants name along with proof of funds

When I first started coming to Thailand I could get a 1 year multi-entry B visa at the miami consultant with just a letter from a Thai company saying I was coming to work for them, then this changed to needing all company registration documents, taxes paid, etc. Now you need a letter from the labor department stating an WP application has been submitted. So making things harder for businessmen too.  In  the past 25 years Thailand immigration department has drastically changed the rules and their enforcement of the rules from relaxed to strict enforcement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ericthai said:

There have been many changes that effect the average tourist. 

Immigration has revised the requirements for tourist visas and where they can be issued from.

In the past it has been easy to get a tourist visa in your home county with no documentation needed other

than an application. Now they require a flight reservation to Thailand in the applicants name along with proof of funds

When I first started coming to Thailand I could get a 1 year multi-entry B visa at the miami consultant with just a letter from a Thai company saying I was coming to work for them, then this changed to needing all company registration documents, taxes paid, etc. Now you need a letter from the labor department stating an WP application has been submitted. So making things harder for businessmen too.  In  the past 25 years Thailand immigration department has drastically changed the rules and their enforcement of the rules from relaxed to strict enforcement. 

I accept what you say. However, I do not believe that, for instance, the extra documentation to ask for Non B visas is because tourist entries have been abused. It was because Non B visas were being abused. The need to show flight reservations and funds for tourist visas is irrational, but not much of an impediment to the normal holidaymaker, assuming they have a need for tourist visas at all, and cannot just enter visa exempt.