OTP passwords overseas

jji23

Hi,

I will be moving to Shanghai in August. I have several bank accounts here in Thailand and will be transferring money to them from China.

Whenever I make bank transfers within Thailand I'm always sent a text message OTP to my Thai mobile number before the transfer can go through. Whilst I will take my Thai mobile SIM card to China is it possible to turn off OTP at the Thai banks or update the new number to the Chinese mobile number, which I won't know until I get there.

Anyone had any experience with this?

I also have Santander in the UK and occasionally they send OTPs for certain services. With them it was very easy and I just changed my telephone number on their website to 0066....

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I wish you luck. I frequently travel outside of Thailand, and have found my only solution is to carry a second phone with a Thai SIM card which I turn on only for the duration of receiving the OTP. Citibank from Singapore is also very difficult to change the registered sim phone number.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

10 hours ago, jji23 said:

I have several bank accounts here in Thailand and will be transferring money to them from China. Whenever I make bank transfers within Thailand I'm always sent a text message OTP to my Thai mobile number before the transfer can go through

OP sorry if I read this wrong but if you are transferring into your own account from outside why would you need an OTP?

Normally my experience is that OTP for most banks is only the first couple of times you transfer to a new specific account from your account.

I think @topt is on to something.

OTP is usually optionally issued by the SENDING bank to confirm authorization to transfer funds. 

An optional SMS Confirmation can be sent by the RECEIVING bank to announce receipt of funds (no authorization needed).

OP sorry if I read this wrong but if you are transferring into your own account from outside why would you need an OTP?
Normally my experience is that OTP for most banks is only the first couple of times you transfer to a new specific account from your account.

I will be transferring into a bkk bank account here in Thailand. From that account it then needs to go to KTB account for loans and a SCBT account for savings.

15 hours ago, topt said:

If your using K Bank internet banking can I suggest you call them and seek their advice in regard to whatever transactions your wanting to do.  

I've successfully done several K Bank internet banking transactions whilst located in Vietnam. For my own reasons I didn't want to have extra sim cards etc.

I called K Bank in  advance and asked them if it's possible. The staff I spoke to were very professional, very good English and explained clearly how to do it using the telephone from my hotel in Vietnam.

It worked well and I was impressed. I'm not knowledgeable about the security matters involved but it seemed to me this was done well.

Whether it can be done the same from China I don't know.

Good luck. 

5 hours ago, jji23 said:

I will be transferring into a bkk bank account here in Thailand. From that account it then needs to go to KTB account for loans and a SCBT account for savings.

BKKBk will not send you an OTP to transfer money, if the receiving account has been installed and used once before. They might be restrictions regarding the amount, but you can find out about this. I recently made  transfers from Germany from my BKKBK account to other recipients. No problem evolved, no OTP necessary.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

If your using K Bank internet banking can I suggest you call them and seek their advice in regard to whatever transactions your wanting to do.  

I've successfully done several K Bank internet banking transactions whilst located in Vietnam. For my own reasons I didn't want to have extra sim cards etc.

I called K Bank in  advance and asked them if it's possible. The staff I spoke to were very professional, very good English and explained clearly how to do it using the telephone from my hotel in Vietnam.

It worked well and I was impressed. I'm not knowledgeable about the security matters involved but it seemed to me this was done well.

Whether it can be done the same from China I don't know.

Good luck. 

One more point - the K bank people asked to get everything ready to call from my hotel then logon the K Bank, and lougout quickly after seeing on screen that the transaction is completed / successful. 

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

One more point - the K bank people asked to get everything ready to call from my hotel then logon the K Bank, and lougout quickly after seeing on screen that the transaction is completed / successful. 

I think you miss the point - he is transferring out of Bangkok bank into a K bank account.

10 hours ago, jji23 said:

I will be transferring into a bkk bank account here in Thailand. From that account it then needs to go to KTB account for loans and a SCBT account for savings

OP the only issue is to make sure that whatever mobile provider you are using is aware that you need international roaming and that provider's messages will be received in China. I know for a fact AIS/1-2 Call works but don't know about True or Dtac.

As fxe1200 mentions if you have already established the transactions then the OTP is not needed. 

15 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

I had my thai smart phone set up for global roaming before I went away and logged into my thai bank account to test it whilst abroad recently.

Is there a charge for the service?

30 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

I had my thai smart phone set up for global roaming before I went away and logged into my thai bank account to test it whilst abroad recently. The system sent me an OTP code no prob. 

I've used my Thai phone in UK to receive SMS messages from SCB including otp ones with no issues. Just ensure that your phone roams to wherever you are going. 

On 6/18/2017 at 10:21 AM, Sealbash said:

I wish you luck. I frequently travel outside of Thailand, and have found my only solution is to carry a second phone with a Thai SIM card which I turn on only for the duration of receiving the OTP. Citibank from Singapore is also very difficult to change the registered sim phone number.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I am using another countries credit card and I get OTP on my Sim card as well. When I travel to Thailand or elsewhere I also have the same problem. I contacted the bank and told them to send me OTP both to my Sim card and my registered email address with them. So while traveling I use me email for the OTP. You can talk to your bank if they have this facility there.

Although I only leave Thailand shorter term I simply receive the OTPs on another phone which has the Thai SIM installed and is on roaming.  Just have to remember to turn it on when doing the transactions.

Hopefully there is an arrangement for the roaming in China too.

Edited by jacko45k

Kasikornbank have a facility called PIN2, whereby they do not send you an OTP. Rather you input the PIN2 onto a different screen instead of a OTP. PIN2 is a totally different password to log in. It is a PERMANENT password and you will need to apply at a branch office. I have used it for 15 years now and works well. 

As you are not in China yet, I am assuming that you do not yet have a Chinese bank account. I have lived and worked in China for the last nine years, and it is my experience that moving money out of China is not easy at all.

i live in South China quite close to Hong Kong, and as is typical of China, rules seem to be interpreted differently in different cities, so I cannot answer for Shanghai.

you do not mention the amount of money you wish to move, but here in Dongguan the maximum per calendar year is USD 50,000 (approx 340,000 RMB) which depending on your China salary may or may not be satisfactory.

being so close to HK, I opened a HK bank account, and have on a number of occasions hand carried RMB there and paid into that account, but even that way is fraught with dangers.

As you are not in China yet, I am assuming that you do not yet have a Chinese bank account. I have lived and worked in China for the last nine years, and it is my experience that moving money out of China is not easy at all.
i live in South China quite close to Hong Kong, and as is typical of China, rules seem to be interpreted differently in different cities, so I cannot answer for Shanghai.
you do not mention the amount of money you wish to move, but here in Dongguan the maximum per calendar year is USD 50,000 (approx 340,000 RMB) which depending on your China salary may or may not be satisfactory.
being so close to HK, I opened a HK bank account, and have on a number of occasions hand carried RMB there and paid into that account, but even that way is fraught with dangers.

It seems to be quite difficult. I was planning on using PayPal or bitcoin. My school have informed me that it can be done bank to bank though.