where does your rubbish go ?

jippytum

26 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Its similar all over Europe

Yes but nothing like the scale of it in Thailand .In my experience ,having lived and travelled around many European Countries .

16 minutes ago, anto said:

Yes but nothing like the scale of it in Thailand .In my experience ,having lived and travelled around many European Countries .

Dificult to say really seen lots especialy in UK. No easy solution

In Isaan, all my garbage ends up on the side of the road. It sucks but what can I do. Some of it will get burnt, some things like razor blades, metal tablet packaging, old screws, and etc will never biodegrade. I've seen light tubes on the side of the road, and energy saving bulbs, both of which contain mercury, very close to a water reservoir that feeds houses. This is very bad for the environment. Only glass/plastic bottles are recycled and the money I get for them is negligible (20 baht for hundreds of bottles).

Of course there is no main sewerage in Isaan either and so shower water filled with soap and shampoo usually gets piped into peoples gardens. I'm not a scientist, but surely, if you eat plants that have been watered with all sorts of chemicals, that can't be healthy?

Littering in Thailand is nothing. There is tons of garbage on the side of the road, literally everywhere, it's not frowned on like in the West. And sometimes I litter as well. If I take it home it goes on the side of the road, if I put it on the side of the road now then I don't have to move it again.

I remember once I was on a beautiful island that was barely developed. The water was crystal clear and the beach pristine white sands. A Thai man in front of me took his glass bottle of Coke and threw it off the pier into the water. There was a garbage can 3 feet away. Does he not realize if everyone did that we would be looking at a pile of garbage and not this lovely beach? I saw that years ago, but I can't forget it, just makes no sense to me.

There are a lot of sanitation problems in Thailand that should be addressed. They won't be. On the bright side at least Thailand now has 3 new submarines.

7 minutes ago, JohnJay said:

In Isaan, all my garbage ends up on the side of the road. It sucks but what can I do. Some of it will get burnt, some things like razor blades, metal tablet packaging, old screws, and etc will never biodegrade. I've seen light tubes on the side of the road, and energy saving bulbs, both of which contain mercury, very close to a water reservoir that feeds houses. This is very bad for the environment. Only glass/plastic bottles are recycled and the money I get for them is negligible (20 baht for hundreds of bottles).

Of course there is no main sewerage in Isaan either and so shower water filled with soap and shampoo usually gets piped into peoples gardens. I'm not a scientist, but surely, if you eat plants that have been watered with all sorts of chemicals, that can't be healthy?

Littering in Thailand is nothing. There is tons of garbage on the side of the road, literally everywhere, it's not frowned on like in the West. And sometimes I litter as well. If I take it home it goes on the side of the road, if I put it on the side of the road now then I don't have to move it again.

I remember once I was on a beautiful island that was barely developed. The water was crystal clear and the beach pristine white sands. A Thai man in front of me took his glass bottle of Coke and threw it off the pier into the water. There was a garbage can 3 feet away. Does he not realize if everyone did that we would be looking at a pile of garbage and not this lovely beach? I saw that years ago, but I can't forget it, just makes no sense to me.

There are a lot of sanitation problems in Thailand that should be addressed. They won't be. On the bright side at least Thailand now has 3 new submarines.

sad....the less industrialised are destroying the water with their garbage or waste.....the more industrialised are destroying the air with their factories....add the nuclear waste, the pollution from one single supertanker crossing the ocean etc etc etc.....not to forget the views of certain western clowns in top level governance on global warming and the Paris treaty...and we have a fine and amazing family photo out there!!

Edited by observer90210

11 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Must say cant remember seeing an actual rubish tip plenty of fly tipping but not a tip

Lolz 'driving like a Thai' implies you drive around with your eyes closed... I guess you didn't understand it. ACtually you don't see much when you drive around (ESPECIALLY in the city) because a great deal is hidden... for example, riding to school via Bangna backstreets towards soi 103 and on to Punnawithi I met someone at a 7-11 who came to pick up an old Thai house and transport it to a new location 600km away (it was going to cost a few million to do...).

The house is completely hidden from 4 surrounding roads, and contained within a pretty large area of land nobody really knows about (including people who live on the roads).

The same goes for Tips and Landfills - unless the wind is in the right direction, you're not going to notice them because they're usually tucked away.

The one in Bangna became noticeable by a pall of smoke that didn't get off the ground - so we could smell fumes... but looking on a map at where it is, there's no clear route to get there - the roads aren't all public and they aren't all mapped.

It's a pretty private affair I think - in my (new) Moobahn, we get a pickup truck one day and a 7.5 tonne truck on other days (the 7.5 tonne has 8 people and seems to do some recycling work) - neither look remotely like official dustcarts.

The concept of houses having Wheelie bins and dustcarts being designed to work with them is obviously less attractive to Thai's than pickups and carrier bags filled with rotten meat ripped open by cats during the night...

>>The concept of houses having Wheelie bins and dustcarts being designed to work with them is obviously less attractive to Thai's than pickups and carrier bags filled with rotten meat ripped open by cats during the night...<<

Yes ,i bought a wheely bin myself from Makro .All the other houses just put out little plastic carrier bags of rubbish .

The question of 'where does your rubbish go" really depends on your lifestyle and how much rubbish you generate.  

As a retired couple living in a Chiang Mai condo, it's really very straightforward.  We bag the trash in drop it down the handy central chute with access doors installed on each floor in the building.  It all ends up in a big room on the first floor and early every morning a big truck comes, wakes us up and the men yell and make much noise as they empty the fragrant bags from that room.

A couple years ago, the noisy trash men decreed they didn't want to deal with burst bags of kitty litter so those of us with cats have to bring bags of used kitty litter to a special receptacle near the door of the fragrant trash room on the first floor and can no longer drop our bags of used kitty litter down the chute from the upper floors of a high rise condo.

As for anything of value, it's standard practice to place it next to the trash chute door on your floor and somehow it magically disappears.  The definition of "anything of value" includes cardboard, glass, cans, plastic bottles, and anything you don't want anymore like a small appliances doesn't work anymore.

As for major appliances that don't work anymore, we've found that the guys who deliver the new appliance are always thrilled to take away the old one.  I suspect they know people who can repair an old appliance cheaply and sell it easily.  Sometimes it's a good thing that we don't have a vehicle and have to rely on the home delivery service of the appliance stores.

There is very little you cant sell from the rubish or recycle ourselves.  Plastic including pipe/carboard/paper/ metal of any kind can all be sold on. Food of any type left over gets picked up daily by the pig man never fails.

The compressed foam which is found in all boxes of new equipment bought. I spend about half an hour rubbing it down inside a black bag so there are thousands of foam beads use them for all sorts from filling the long useless bloster pillow covers you get in the sets of sheets ect. Then in the cool months to protect the dorian smaller trees (bless em they hate the cold.). Whats left over is next to nothing goes in one black bag.

On 6/19/2017 at 11:27 AM, possum1931 said:

I thought sh!t was good for the soil. The farmer could just go and spread it around, maybe even come to an arrangement with the sh!t dumper.

Did cross my mind but is human crap the same as animal crap ref:soil

4 hours ago, Black arab said:

Did cross my mind but is human crap the same as animal crap ref:soil

Since humans are animals then yes - its much the same.. A good source of nitrogen and other nutrients, although perhaps not as efficient for soil-conditioning as herbivore manure (or bulls**t).

Major problem is that it contains many pathogens that can infect human consumers if the produce is unwashed, eg. salad vegetables.

But it is fine for rubber/palm oil, etc, or even fruit where the produce is not in contact with the ground.

Edited by steve73